You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Stony Brook
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Next week is gonna be my week! Hopefully lol.
did you get WL after those 11 weeks?Anyone know what the WL movement is like here? Or if the WL is ranked?
YarpNext week is gonna be my week! Hopefully lol.
did you get WL after those 11 weeks?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
beyondconfusedneedhelplps
Full Member
If you respond to confirming a waitlist position, they send an email back including this:Anyone know what the WL movement is like here? Or if the WL is ranked?
“Please note that the wait list is ranked and confidential. At this time, we cannot predict how many applicants will ultimately be accepted off of the wait list. In the past, approximately 30% of the matriculating students were accepted from the wait list.”
I had 1 student and 1 faculty and only the latter was open fileanyone who has interviewed know if the two interviews are open or closed file?
mine were both openanyone who has interviewed know if the two interviews are open or closed file?
My student knew more about my file than the faculty member. Both open for me. Not that the faculty bothered to read any of it lol...I had 1 student and 1 faculty and only the latter was open file
Medicalmelon
Full Member
both are opened except for mcat and gpaI had 1 student and 1 faculty and only the latter was open file
Had two faculty members and they definitely had access to my grades. One quoted my MCAT scoreanyone who has interviewed know if the two interviews are open or closed file?
I had one faculty and one student and both of them were open-file for me. The student had my entire app in front of her and the front page had my GPA and MCAT
Has anyone still not heard back after like 10-11 weeks? Idk if I should just consider this a soft rejection or what.
Has anyone still not heard back after like 10-11 weeks? Idk if I should just consider this a soft rejection or what.
me. really not sure what to believe either but am choosing to believe it's a rejection since I don't think anybody posted about post-ii R's and because it'll be better for my mental health lol
Has anyone still not heard back after like 10-11 weeks? Idk if I should just consider this a soft rejection or what.
A few friends and I didn't hear back for around 3 months. We were all waitlisted last week
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone from mid to late November hear back yet?
I’m at >7 weeks with no response.Has anyone still not heard back after like 10-11 weeks? Idk if I should just consider this a soft rejection or what.
hopefulmed57
Full Member
Waitlisted yesterday (12/9), interview was on 10/11 so a little after 8 weeks for me
Waitlisted yesterday (12/9), interview was on 10/11 so a little after 8 weeks for me
My time is near (10/15)
Anyone who interviewed MSTP hear back yet? They mentioned "early December" when I last reached out
BillyOsler
Full Member
They don’t go in orderMy time is near (10/15)
They don’t go in order
Oh yea fml
+1 anxiously waiting after hearing that they’d get back to us in DecemberAnyone who interviewed MSTP hear back yet? They mentioned "early December" when I last reached out
iluvmedicine528
Full Member
Congrats! Complete date?II today!
Mid-July, OOSCongrats! Complete date?
iluvmedicine528
Full Member
Nice congrats! I was complete 7/24 so hopefully I'll hear something back soon.Mid-July, OOS
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am OOS and after interviewing here it is my impression that residency can be established fairly easily after 1 year of living in NY. Also I think merit scholarships were scarce to none.Does anyone know if SBU offers any merit scholarships or scholarships to OOS students?
Also, does anyone know if claiming NY residency for tuition purposes have been successfully obtained by any previously OOS students?
2 interviews at varying times, some presentations, and a student tour/lunchanyone know what the interview day schedule was like?
DrEllaWoods
Full Member
II this afternoon! IS, complete 10/1, dates offered 1/28, 1/30 and until end of February
iluvmedicine528
Full Member
Anybody complete mid-to late July or earlier and hasn’t heard back?
Anybody complete mid-to late July or earlier and hasn’t heard back?
Stony pls
holy —-!
just got A after 12 weeks?!
just got A after 12 weeks?!
A! Interviewed 11/5, IS
to all accepted people, is there anything on the portal? i remember seeing something a while ago but it disappeared.
That's good news for everyone waiting a long time. Anecdotally it seemed that acceptances were quick and a long wait meant a waitlist. Looks like that isn't always true. Never go full neurotic hahahaholy —-!
just got A after 12 weeks?!
D
deleted1005103
grats,II. Surprised. I thought that II’s were just about all handed out at most schools. Can I ask those who have interviewed here (or even current students) for an opinion of the school? What are the likes and dislikes?
when were you complete?
Interviewed here recently.
Pro's:
Good regional reputation + excellent residency placement in the Northeast.
P/F and condensed preclinical curriculum.
New childrens hospital.
Lots of opportunities in global health, research, innovation.
Cons:
Suburban Long Island (2 hrs from NYC). Not a terrible amount to do around the area and a high cost of living.
Some older and outdated facilities.
Share facilities with undergrads and other professional medical programs.
I can clarify any of the above points or answer other questions if needed.
Pro's:
Good regional reputation + excellent residency placement in the Northeast.
P/F and condensed preclinical curriculum.
New childrens hospital.
Lots of opportunities in global health, research, innovation.
Cons:
Suburban Long Island (2 hrs from NYC). Not a terrible amount to do around the area and a high cost of living.
Some older and outdated facilities.
Share facilities with undergrads and other professional medical programs.
I can clarify any of the above points or answer other questions if needed.
I thought it wasn’t P/FInterviewed here recently.
Pro's:
Good regional reputation + excellent residency placement in the Northeast.
P/F and condensed preclinical curriculum.
New childrens hospital.
Lots of opportunities in global health, research, innovation.
Cons:
Suburban Long Island (2 hrs from NYC). Not a terrible amount to do around the area and a high cost of living.
Some older and outdated facilities.
Share facilities with undergrads and other professional medical programs.
I can clarify any of the above points or answer other questions if needed.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought it wasn’t P/F
My student interviewer told me that P/F preclinical was just implemented for the current MS1 class.
himalayansaltlamp
Full Member
My student interviewer told me that P/F preclinical was just implemented for the current MS1 class.
I’m not 100% sure but I think it’s P/F for some blocks, but not all. Can someone confirm?
Thanks!Interviewed here recently.
Pro's:
Good regional reputation + excellent residency placement in the Northeast.
P/F and condensed preclinical curriculum.
New childrens hospital.
Lots of opportunities in global health, research, innovation.
Cons:
Suburban Long Island (2 hrs from NYC). Not a terrible amount to do around the area and a high cost of living.
Some older and outdated facilities.
Share facilities with undergrads and other professional medical programs.
I can clarify any of the above points or answer other questions if needed.
I’m in the Southwest. Have any idea how residency placement is for out here?
Also, do you think that in February (when I can interview here), they’ll be interviewing for waitlist spots? I know some schools do this...I guess it depends on whether Stony Brook is rolling admissions?
Medicalmelon
Full Member
it is pass fail for some blocks, particularly in the first 6ish months. then afterwards depending on the blocks it is graded.I’m not 100% sure but I think it’s P/F for some blocks, but not all. Can someone confirm?
Hi, do you mind if I dm you about how you went about the update letter? : )1) Seems like stony has already sent plenty of pre-II rejections so you are likely still in the running. I have a 72 LM and got an interview invite so I wouldn't think stats are your issue.
2) I don't know about stony specifically, but I got some interview attention after sending an october update letter to schools that had been silent so i would try that.