2019-2020 Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you so much, this helps a lot! Also sorry I’m kinda new, what does EDP mean?
AKA ED "early decision program." It means I applied to only one school (in this case Tulane) and as a result they go through my application faster and give me a decision sooner than regular applicants. The catch? I can't apply to other schools unless they reject me. If they accept me, I agree to attend their school and not apply elsewhere/go anywhere else. It's risky because if the school I apply EDP to rejects me I'm late in the cycle for everywhere else.
I chose this route because:
A. This is my dream school and has been number one on my list since I decided to be a doctor. I also fit their mission, they fit mine, etc extremely well.
B. I have small children and wanted to be near family (my dad and brothers live in NOLA) and I have strong ties to the city; passionate about leaving it better than I found it.
C. I wasn't planning on applying to many MD schools for a number of reasons. But, I couldn't live with myself without trying for this school, and I'm glad I took the risk! Follow your heart folks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Secondary submitted 7/30, Marked Completed and Under Review 9/18

Reactions: 2 users
So my faculty interviewer explained the whole process to me, we find out on Oct 1 though they've typically made their decision well before. On your interview day how many EDP people were there? I was the only one on my day! 9/10. ALSO, so happy to encounter another EDP applicant for this school!
You were the only one?? That’s kinda funny but also a terrifying thought. Best of luck! Less than two weeks away from oct 1....

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You were the only one?? That’s kinda funny but also a terrifying thought. Best of luck! Less than two weeks away from oct 1....
Yeah I asked around the room and everyone just stared blankly at me, or stated they were regular decision. If anyone else was early decision, they kept it to themselves. Thank you! All my fingers crossed.

Yeah I asked around the room and everyone just stared blankly at me, or stated they were regular decision. If anyone else was early decision, they kept it to themselves. Thank you! All my fingers crossed.

I think most of EDP applicants interviewed in August. I had my interview in August and everyone was EDP.

How many applicants were there with you do you think?

There were like 19 or 20 of us during my interview. Apparently according to the student tour guide, there was a previous interview as well with just as many EDP applicants. From my conversation with the dean, there were apparently a lot of EDP applicants this year (probably because of the change in admissions procedures for AAMC)

• Wow
There were like 19 or 20 of us during my interview. Apparently according to the student tour guide, there was a previous interview as well with just as many EDP applicants. From my conversation with the dean, there were apparently a lot of EDP applicants this year (probably because of the change in admissions procedures for AAMC)

BARF BARF BARF. I guess I’m glad to know as it gives me a more realistic view of my chances but wow, feeling unnerved for sure. Also thank you for telling me. Here comes two weeks of anxiety! Best of luck to you!

I interviewed on 8/21 and there were 19 people in my interview group and all but 1 or 2 were EDP. I know on they had a group of 21 interviewees on 8/19 that were also mostly EDP as well. Not too sure how accurate this is but I heard they got over 100 EDP applicants this year...makes me kinda nervous!!
But yes so good to see another EDP applicant...I thought October 1st was the day but I didn’t get a clear answer from my interviewer so I thought I would ask around on here!

Funny how they’re slow with EDP and regular decision they’re super fast.

Surely they will let you know before October 15th. Or might as well have done regular decision.

Reactions: 1 users
II invite today.

Earliest available is Jan. Damn that is gunna be a tough wait.

• Wow
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So would that mean apps that have been under review before that date means they've already been reviewed?

• Angry
So would that mean apps that have been under review before that date means they've already been reviewed?
I have no idea. This whole process is unnerving.

Don’t get me wrong, I am ecstatic to have an II.......but it is hard to chill until January. Are the odds of an acceptance decreased as time passes?

I have no idea. This whole process is unnerving.

Don’t get me wrong, I am ecstatic to have an II.......but it is hard to chill until January. Are the odds of an acceptance decreased as time passes?

I am actually kind of curious about this as well. Do schools have limitations on their admissions as they move through the cycle? X amount of admittances for these 5 interview days, X for these days, etc.

I am actually kind of curious about this as well. Do schools have limitations on their admissions as they move through the cycle? X amount of admittances for these 5 interview days, X for these days, etc.

I haven't interviewed at Tulane, nor do I have an II here, but when I interviewed at a different school recently, they said that they do not have a limit on how many people they accept per interview day/per session the committee meets to make offers. I'm sure this varies by school but just fyi based off that, seats can fill up really quickly at some schools.

Now I truly understand why people say earlier interviews are the best.

Reactions: 4 users
So based on MSAR I think there were 18 ED applicants last year? And now we’re estimating 60-80 or even more?? Damn.

• Wow
So based on MSAR I think there were 18 ED applicants last year? And now we’re estimating 60-80 or even more?? Damn.
Maybe all ED candidates interview on the same day? I can't imagine that the number would increase that much in one year? Who knows, though. ED is super risky, kudos to those of you who decide to do it. I was way too scared to!

Maybe all ED candidates interview on the same day? I can't imagine that the number would increase that much in one year? Who knows, though. ED is super risky, kudos to those of you who decide to do it. I was way too scared to!

No, I interviewed with no other ED applicants on my day that I know of. It sounds like there were rounds of interviews in August for those folks.

No, I interviewed with no other ED applicants on my day that I know of. It sounds like there were rounds of interviews in August for those folks.
That's wild! I guess in the scheme of things, 60 is still not that many people. I wonder how it influenced the ED acceptance rate this year. Out of curiosity, did they address that?

So in the MSAR does it specify how many applied versus were accepted? My impression was that number you listed was the number of those applicants that matriculated - but I could be totally wrong and I do not have access to MSAR.

So in the MSAR does it specify how many applied versus were accepted? My impression was that number you listed was the number of those applicants that matriculated - but I could be totally wrong and I do not have access to MSAR.
I'm not sure. A poster above me put those numbers. I also don't have MSAR. @starbuck2 can you clarify, please?

That's wild! I guess in the scheme of things, 60 is still not that many people. I wonder how it influenced the ED acceptance rate this year. Out of curiosity, did they address that?
They did not, just went through the process and told me I did things right by applying edp based on my story/application. (I have small children, my family is in NOLA and can support me and the kids kind of deal - plus passionate about the school etc).

They did not, just went through the process and told me I did things right by applying edp based on my story/application. (I have small children, my family is in NOLA and can support me and the kids kind of deal - plus passionate about the school etc).
Thanks for clarifying! Good luck! It definitely sounds smart that you applied ED. I think ED is a great option for a small number of people, but for others it's risky. You're definitely one of the ones that it makes sense to apply ED. Moving with small kids is NOT fun! I hope it all works out for you!

• Love
Thanks for clarifying! Good luck! It definitely sounds smart that you applied ED. I think ED is a great option for a small number of people, but for others it's risky. You're definitely one of the ones that it makes sense to apply ED. Moving with small kids is NOT fun! I hope it all works out for you!
Thank you! Good luck with all your applications!

MSAR tells you accepted/matriculated (same thing for EDP unless one defers), not # of applicants

I'm not sure. A poster above me put those numbers. I also don't have MSAR. @starbuck2 can you clarify, please?

Ok, so @NOLA3100 said they interviewed 8/21 and had ~17-19 ED applicants...and also said that someone said there were similar numbers on 8/19. That puts us conservatively at ~35 ED applicants. I interviewed on 8/27 and I believe we had 18, all ED. So that’s 50+ and there could be others.

The MSAR table has a list of applicant data from last year. It lists total number of applicants, interviewed, deferred, etc. and early decision. At the bottom it says matriculated. So I guess it’s unclear whether the 18 ED number was total ED applicants or tota ED accepted/matriculated. Does anyone know if I’m allowed to post a screen shot? I don’t want to get in trouble for posting anything that is not allowed, since I had to pay for msar.

Ok, so @NOLA3100 said they interviewed 8/21 and had ~17-19 ED applicants...and also said that someone said there were similar numbers on 8/19. That puts us conservatively at ~35 ED applicants. I interviewed on 8/27 and I believe we had 18, all ED. So that’s 50+ and there could be others.

The MSAR table has a list of applicant data from last year. It lists total number of applicants, interviewed, deferred, etc. and early decision. At the bottom it says matriculated. So I guess it’s unclear whether the 18 ED number was total ED applicants or tota ED accepted/matriculated. Does anyone know if I’m allowed to post a screen shot? I don’t want to get in trouble for posting anything that is not allowed, since I had to pay for msar.
@Matthew9Thirtyfive are screenshots ok?

The 18 ED matriculates are listed under matriculation data for first year class table- hover over the question mark next to the table name. 18 people matriculated from EDP last year. It gives no data regarding how many EDP applicants there were

I believe someone already posted it earlier in this thread.

Just curious, is Tulane true pass/fail?

As in, do they give a class rank to residencies? If so, is it interquartile or nah?

Heyyy, I think we interviewed on the same day! I think all but one person that day was EDP.

Sidenote: Anyone dare to call Mike Woodson and ask about how many EDP applicants there are and how many have historically gotten accepted? :p

• Haha
I
Heyyy, I think we interviewed on the same day! I think all but one person that day was EDP.

Sidenote: Anyone dare to call Mike Woodson and ask about how many EDP applicants there are and how many have historically gotten accepted? :p

Were you the one who laughed nervously at the adcoms’ jokes? Must’ve been in the same group then.

• Haha
found out my EDP application didn't go my way so i took a long shot and submitted a few primaries. What do y'all think my chances are at this point?
I'm a business major, OOS, 511, cgpa and sgpa in mid 3.8's, pretty decent ec's
Should I be hopeful or just kiss my chances at a secondary goodbye

If you want to jumpstart being a physician, you should apply to a few DO schools too !

found out my EDP application didn't go my way so i took a long shot and submitted a few primaries. What do y'all think my chances are at this point?
I'm a business major, OOS, 511, cgpa and sgpa in mid 3.8's, pretty decent ec's
Should I be hopeful or just kiss my chances at a secondary goodbye
When did you submit them primaries? This week?

Interviewed today and it was chill.

I

Were you the one who laughed nervously at the adcoms’ jokes? Must’ve been in the same group then.

I don’t recall anyone doing that. I don’t recall the adcom making jokes lol

Dang, this must have cleared up recently. When I looked, Feb was closest available.
When did you look ? I made this appointment on 9-18. I thought waiting til Jan was torture. Are you having to wait until Feb?

When did you look ? I made this appointment on 9-18. I thought waiting til Jan was torture. Are you having to wait until Feb?
If you all use these you wouldnt have to even ask.... its all in the data here if people input theirs:

add your interview data here.
check your school's data
here.