-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Tulane
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Nynaevei
Full Member
3.399/501 non-trad with strong ties to the state but my ECs are killer.@Nynaevei mind posting your stats?
futuremediguess
Full Member
Under review on 8/16...... nothing yet
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted ED 😍
can you post the link??
Unofficial Facebook group up!
Congrats to the newest members of the class of 2024! So excited for you all!!
Congrats to all the EDP acceptances!!! You all are truly amazing!!! Very excited for everyone!!!!
Nynaevei
Full Member
Try searching “Tulane University School of Medicine Class of 2024” I can’t seem to link it on my phone right now, but I have a computer at my house. When I get there I’ll see what I can do and message you.can you post the link??
Accepted!!
ED, nontrad.
I'm 26 years old, married, and have been doing things completely unrelated to medicine. Always volunteering, always involved with other people's suffering.
No GPA — my undergrad didn't issue grades a la New School of Oxford.
Missing half the prereqs. No O Chem, no Biochem, in particular.
MCAT 521 — knew I had to prove myself somehow!
I think I made it because:
1. Deep service experience. Hundreds of hours with the organization I [unpaid] work for.
2. Ties to the Gulf Coast.
3. Tons of experiences with experiment, growth, and learning from failure.
4. Family history at Tulane and in New Orleans.
5. That MCAT!
Edit:
To all those "navy or black?!" interview outfit worriers: I wore a light grey suit!
ED, nontrad.
I'm 26 years old, married, and have been doing things completely unrelated to medicine. Always volunteering, always involved with other people's suffering.
No GPA — my undergrad didn't issue grades a la New School of Oxford.
Missing half the prereqs. No O Chem, no Biochem, in particular.
MCAT 521 — knew I had to prove myself somehow!
I think I made it because:
1. Deep service experience. Hundreds of hours with the organization I [unpaid] work for.
2. Ties to the Gulf Coast.
3. Tons of experiences with experiment, growth, and learning from failure.
4. Family history at Tulane and in New Orleans.
5. That MCAT!
Edit:
To all those "navy or black?!" interview outfit worriers: I wore a light grey suit!
Last edited:
IcedLattesAndCats
Full Member
So I'm doing student hosting Thursday night for my Friday Interview. I'm arriving on Thursday morning (cheaper flight). I asked my student host if I could store my luggage and stuff at her place when I arrive and she said no. I have to wait until after dinner time. Additionally, she told me that I have to bring my own sheets and pillows. Does anyone have advice for what to do with my luggage, suit, and bedding for an entire day in New Orleans??? (Or advice for bringing all of this on a plane - I can't afford to pay for a checked bag.) Has anyone been in this situation? Thanks in advance!
Nynaevei
Full Member
Pack warm pjs and a sleeping bag instead, camp out at a coffee shop during the day until she lets you in. In Los Angeles they have places to store luggage but I’m unsure if Nola does this - I’d look into it if I were you?So I'm doing student hosting Thursday night for my Friday Interview. I'm arriving on Thursday morning (cheaper flight). I asked my student host if I could store my luggage and stuff at her place when I arrive and she said no. I have to wait until after dinner time. Additionally, she told me that I have to bring my own sheets and pillows. Does anyone have advice for what to do with my luggage, suit, and bedding for an entire day in New Orleans??? (Or advice for bringing all of this on a plane - I can't afford to pay for a checked bag.) Has anyone been in this situation? Thanks in advance!
At that point I would just buy an airbnb... Why would they not offer you hospitality when trying to offer you hospitality?.... beyond me.So I'm doing student hosting Thursday night for my Friday Interview. I'm arriving on Thursday morning (cheaper flight). I asked my student host if I could store my luggage and stuff at her place when I arrive and she said no. I have to wait until after dinner time. Additionally, she told me that I have to bring my own sheets and pillows. Does anyone have advice for what to do with my luggage, suit, and bedding for an entire day in New Orleans??? (Or advice for bringing all of this on a plane - I can't afford to pay for a checked bag.) Has anyone been in this situation? Thanks in advance!
edit: cramming pillows and sheets might wrinkle your professional clothes etc
At that point I would just buy an airbnb... Why would they not offer you hospitality when trying to offer you hospitality?.... beyond me.
edit: cramming pillows and sheets might wrinkle your professional clothes etc
I agree on the AirBnB, but don't burn your bridges with the student host. Tell them that you've decided to stay elsewhere but that you'd love to go to dinner with them the night you arrive. The whole point is to be able to ask questions and get a feel for their life! (and it sounds like, right now, their life is rough!)
It is possible that they have a jammed day with classes, service duties, an exam or what not.At that point I would just buy an airbnb... Why would they not offer you hospitality when trying to offer you hospitality?.... beyond me.
edit: cramming pillows and sheets might wrinkle your professional clothes etc
However, this is a little unusual. I'd let the admins know after you interview.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They might have a pet or something they're scared might mess up the luggage or somethingAt that point I would just buy an airbnb... Why would they not offer you hospitality when trying to offer you hospitality?.... beyond me.
edit: cramming pillows and sheets might wrinkle your professional clothes etc
They might have a pet or something they're scared might mess up the luggage or something
Unless theyre openly communicating that with OP and OP is not telling us that, student hosts sign up to not only give cheaper interview COA, but make things a bit easier for the applicant during an already stressful time. OP is now stressed about what to do for 12 hours after landing with all of their things, burdening them from seeing the city.It is possible that they have a jammed day with classes, service duties, an exam or what not.
However, this is a little unusual. I'd let the admins know after you interview.
I'm p sure the email states that the student hosts are only responsible for the night before, not the entire day. So she's probably busy and cannot be super accommodating. The sheets issues is pretty peculiar, my host even gave me his bed instead of sleeping on his couch.Unless theyre openly communicating that with OP and OP is not telling us that, student hosts sign up to not only give cheaper interview COA, but make things a bit easier for the applicant during an already stressful time. OP is now stressed about what to do for 12 hours after landing with all of their things, burdening them from seeing the city.
I would say staying with the student host was really beneficial for me. It was cool to talk to him and especially all of his roommates. I'd recommend staying with the student host.
Congrats EDP!!!! YAY!!!!!!! Y'all have worked hard and earned it!
IcedLattesAndCats
Full Member
Unless theyre openly communicating that with OP and OP is not telling us that, student hosts sign up to not only give cheaper interview COA, but make things a bit easier for the applicant during an already stressful time. OP is now stressed about what to do for 12 hours after landing with all of their things, burdening them from seeing the city.
Yeah, my host just said she has to leave for class. Part of me wishes she would leave a key hidden somewhere for me to store my luggage, but I totally understand not being comfortable with this.
But I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's strange she's having me bring my own bedding and pillows... It's really stressing me out that I have to bring all of that on the plane. I'm going to look into Airbnb but definitely keep my dinner plans with the host. I'm totally sympathetic towards her situation, but the whole thing is causing me a lot of stress. ALSO, Tulane essentially told us we need to buy the host dinner, and she asked to bring her roommates, so I guess I'm paying for multiple dinners. Anyway, this is just my rant... Hopefully, this doesn't make the interview day stressful also
Yeah, my host just said she has to leave for class. Part of me wishes she would leave a key hidden somewhere for me to store my luggage, but I totally understand not being comfortable with this.
But I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's strange she's having me bring my own bedding and pillows... It's really stressing me out that I have to bring all of that on the plane. I'm going to look into Airbnb but definitely keep my dinner plans with the host. I'm totally sympathetic towards her situation, but the whole thing is causing me a lot of stress. ALSO, Tulane essentially told us we need to buy the host dinner, and she asked to bring her roommates, so I guess I'm paying for multiple dinners. Anyway, this is just my rant... Hopefully, this doesn't make the interview day stressful also
I dont think you need to buy dinner for the entire apartment lol.
The whole point is reduce cost (hotel vs 1 meal) and get a glimpse into their life, so I definitely wouldn't pay for everyone. I would expect she just wants you to meet her roommates as well?
IcedLattesAndCats
Full Member
Yeah definitely. I guess it wouldn't be inappropriate to just pay for her. I just feel bad only paying for one meal, because technically they're all hosting me lol. I'm probably reading too much into it hahaI dont think you need to buy dinner for the entire apartment lol.
The whole point is reduce cost (hotel vs 1 meal) and get a glimpse into their life, so I definitely wouldn't pay for everyone. I would expect she just wants you to meet her roommates as well?
Nynaevei
Full Member
Group link:
www.facebook.com/groups/514155622694040/
www.facebook.com/groups/514155622694040/
Congratulations to all the acceptees! Interviewing myself later this week. Hoping for the best
Nynaevei
Full Member
Good luck!!!Congratulations to all the acceptees! Interviewing myself later this week. Hoping for the best
Is there anyone who is going to be in New Orleans this weekend to interview on Monday (Oct. 7)? I get in Saturday afternoon and would love to meet up with people! PM me!
Good luck! And, wait... you are on probationary status to now?? Was it for your comment on the post about probationary status? lolCongratulations to all the acceptees! Interviewing myself later this week. Hoping for the best
Huh? What probationary status?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Huh? What probationary status?
....and for my next trick, I'm going to make my probationary status disappear!
u sly dog
Full disclosure: Actually I commented on the veracity of another members posts without proof and was placed on probation.
Haha... how did u get it lifted so fast?...for future reference...asking for a friend....Full disclosure: Actually I commented on the veracity of another members posts without proof and was placed on probation.
Haha... how did u get it lifted so fast?...for future reference...asking for a friend....
I can neither confirm or deny any actions without the secretary's approval...
Congrats on all the acceptances!
So exciting!
I am so anxious for my interview......but I gotta wait til Jan.
This is grueling !
So exciting!
I am so anxious for my interview......but I gotta wait til Jan.
This is grueling !
emoryundergrad2020
Full Member
For people that heard back from Tulane, did you hear back close to when you got the Application Complete email or does that not really mean anything?
I got mine a month after, I don't think it's standardizedFor people that heard back from Tulane, did you hear back close to when you got the Application Complete email or does that not really mean anything?
Fullsend97
Full Member
Got the email for Secondary Application Submitted Successfully on 8/25, do they send another once you are under review or only on the website?
Apparently they don't? send another one once you're under review. I'm still waiting (I was complete in mid-August...f)Got the email for Secondary Application Submitted Successfully on 8/25, do they send another once you are under review or only on the website?
edit: don't
Last edited:
Internationalphysician
Full Member
interesting. I never received another email of being under review. Directly interview offer after the complete emailApparently they send another one once you're under review. I'm still waiting (I was complete in mid-August...f)
interesting! So maybe the silence isn't a bad thing?interesting. I never received another email of being under review. Directly interview offer after the complete email
D
deleted1011020
In the inwterview feedback They tend to ask a why Tulane and why New Orleans. So we should mention school specific things for the first and stuff the city offers / things we like for the second ?
I would just outline how Tulane and the surrounding area is a unique fit for your goals and personality.
Saaame....complete mid Aug and just got "complete under review" email todayinteresting. I never received another email of being under review. Directly interview offer after the complete email
bestestmench
Full Member
Oof. Got that hard R today
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted820490
oh noooo here it comes lets get ready under review in August gangOof. Got that hard R today
Got a hold today just now 😵 Complete 7/19, UR 8/9
+1
7
756034
ugh i'm so sorry 🙁 keep your head up!Oof. Got that hard R today