This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which medical school should I attend?

• Tulane

Votes: 80 67.2%
  • Rosalind Franklin

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • NYMC

Votes: 29 24.4%

• Total voters

SSJimmer7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm having trouble deciding between these three schools and I was hoping for some objective input from SDN. A little background on myself:

I'm a former CA resident that currently lives in NYC with my SO. My SO will remain in NYC--she has a great job and can't afford to leave. I'm really interested in attending the school with the best reputation for clinical training, basic science research, and residency match opportunities. Location is not a huge concern and neither are finances (I figure I'm going to be in a well of debt regardless of where I go), although I did recently receive a $25K scholarship at Rosalind Franklin, which is something I'm considering.

Any and all input is welcome and thanks in advance for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, I'm having trouble deciding between these three schools and I was hoping for some objective input from SDN. A little background on myself:

I'm a former CA resident that currently lives in NYC with my SO. My SO will remain in NYC--she has a great job and can't afford to leave. I'm really interested in attending the school with the best reputation for clinical training, basic science research, and residency match opportunities. Location is not a huge concern and neither are finances (I figure I'm going to be in a well of debt regardless of where I go), although I did recently receive a $25K scholarship at Rosalind Franklin, which is something I'm considering.

Any and all input is welcome and thanks in advance for the help!
Location is not a concern? Do you not like your SO haha? Tulane probably has the best research, although it is not too research oriented. NYMC and RFU have equivalent research, although NYMC might have a slight edge. NYMC has a great match list.

My verdict: Go to NYMC.

Reactions: 2 users
Location is not a concern? Do you not like your SO haha? Tulane probably has the best research, although it is not too research oriented. NYMC and RFU have equivalent research, although NYMC might have a slight edge. NYMC has a great match list.

My verdict: Go to NYMC.
HAHA I do like my SO! We've been together over 4 years and doing long distance would be fine/we've decided it shouldn't impact where I decide to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
HAHA I do like my SO! We've been together over 4 years and doing long distance would be fine/we've decided it shouldn't impact where I decide to go.
Is the scholarship 25k per year, or just 25k? Ultimately, I would be between NYMC and RFU. I'm honestly biased still and would still pick NYMC.

Reactions: 1 user
Is the scholarship 25k per year, or just 25k? Ultimately, I would be between NYMC and RFU. I'm honestly biased still and would still pick NYMC.
They're offering $25k for the first year and they'll re-evaluate after that...

I was accepted to Tulane and NYMC. I'm hoping to end up at neither because of cost, but I would go Tulane over NYMC.

1) Tulane has a better match list in terms of geographic placement, matching to competitive specialties, and matching a top academic centers
2) Tulane has good name recognition
3) Tulane has more research
4) A lot less travelling for Tulane, since NYMC has you going all over the place starting in the first year
5) Tulane's curriculum has a lot less fluff
6) NOLA>>Westchester
7) Tulane's home residency program (I believe) are generally considered better than NYMC's
8) More interesting patient population and chances to work with these patients

I think RFU would have the same cons as NYMC (except Chicago>NYC, imo), but if you are likely to get that $25K all 4 years I would take the $100K

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I was accepted to Tulane and NYMC. I'm hoping to end up at neither because of cost, but I would go Tulane over NYMC.

1) Tulane has a better match list in terms of geographic placement, matching to competitive specialties, and matching a top academic centers
2) Tulane has good name recognition
3) Tulane has more research
4) A lot less travelling for Tulane, since NYMC has you going all over the place starting in the first year
5) Tulane's curriculum has a lot less fluff
6) NOLA>>Westchester
7) Tulane's home residency program (I believe) are generally considered better than NYMC's
8) More interesting patient population and chances to work with these patients

I think RFU would have the same cons as NYMC (except Chicago>NYC, imo), but if you are likely to get that $25K all 4 years I would take the $100K

Haha honestly I'm hoping the same...still waiting to hear from a few schools that I would rather attend. Thanks for the input!

Your SO sounds like a winner.

Haha honestly I'm hoping the same...still waiting to hear from a few schools that I would rather attend. Thanks for the input!
Yeah, if Tulane were $10K cheaper it would be one of my top choices. But if you're gonna start pushing $60K+ tuition, you need to offer more, haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Tulane has the best name, and the match list is extremely impressive. Also, most of Tulane's students hail from California or the Northeast, so you would be around plenty of people like you. The weather is also much better, and New Orleans is a super awesome city with good hospitals.

I'd go to NYMC and be close to my SO, but that's my opinion. Some things are worth more than money.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd go to NYMC and be close to my SO, but that's my opinion. Some things are worth more than money.
SO's come and go, med school decisions last a lifetime...just kidding. In all seriousness, we are a bit older and have a very comfortable/secure relationship and doing long distance won't bother us much (we've done it before)

I also interviewed at RFU and NYMC and both have the privilege of being the worst MD schools in their respective states. People respect Tulane a lot more.

I'd pick Tulane over the other two. NYMC and RFU are great in that they're USMD schools, but if you have other options you should probably exercise them.

Reactions: 3 users
I'd say Tulane, awesome name recognition and their new hospital (university hospital) is supposed to be incredible

Tulane for sure. Rosy had accreditation issues and isn't really in chicago (it's in nobodyland) and NYMC is the school a lot of people go to when they don't have any other options (just like albany). Also upstate ny sucks something fierce especially during the winter.

Tulane for sure. Rosy had accreditation issues and isn't really in chicago (it's in nobodyland) and NYMC is the school a lot of people go to when they don't have any other options (just like albany). Also upstate ny sucks something fierce especially during the winter.

Hah, that's not fair. In my opinion, Albany is leagues ahead of nymc. At least they have a dedicated teaching hospital!

But to be fair, that's not what this post is about. I think I've already given my feedback to the OP in another thread. ;-)

Meh accreditation issues are not really a problem for any mainland US school. No one is getting their accreditation yanked any time soon.

I don't think a mainland school has lost accreditation since the 80s if I'm not mistaken.

Reactions: 1 users
Go to NYMC. Tulane is a good school, but it is not so great to bother with long-distance. You need all the support you can get in med school with as little distractions as possible. You will do well in NYMC if you work hard, be curious, and be humble.

I was in new orleans for Mardi gras recently. go to tulane. NOLA is fun af

This is just my personal opinion but: Tulane > NYMC > Rosalind Franklin
If I were you I'd go to Tulane.

I went to Tulane. I came back to SoCal for residency.

Being at Tulane and in NOLA were easily the best years of my life. Also, Mardi Gras.

Reactions: 2 users

Last edited:
@tantacles NYMC has Westchester Medical Center which is an academic hospital next door to the school. It is the same set up as Tulane. Tulane students rotate through a bunch of hospitals and need to drive to the sites (you got to rural Mississippi and Alabama, etc for family med)

OP, for what it's worth, I'm choosing NYMC over Tulane. Tulane will cost $250K + living expenses and NYMC will be $216K + living expenses (plus my undergrad debt). My family lives 1.5hrs from NYMC, and I think being able to go home one weekend a month or something would be great. NYMC consistantly has great match lists (and I would say that their surgical matches tend to trump Tulane's), so I assume they have a good enough research system in place. Tulane lost a lot of its best faculty in the period after Katrina. Then commuting from Uptown to where things happen in NOLA takes just as long as driving from NYMC to more fun places.

I really enjoyed Tulane and likely would have chosen it over NYMC if they cost the same. But paying at least $30K extra + leaving my family + having the same quality of opportunities outweighed my desire to live in NOLA.
Thanks for the reply! I also recently received a 50% merit scholarship to NYMC. It's beginning to look, more and more, like I'm leaning towards NYMC...that is if I don't hear any good news from some of the schools I'm waitlisted at.

Congratulations on the scholarship!

But given the chance, choose your alma mater. Don't choose based on the money. My vote is NYMC

Congratulations on the scholarship!

But given the chance, choose your alma mater. Don't choose based on the money. My vote is NYMC
Thanks! I decided to attend Tulane because they matched the scholarship that NYMC offered me.

Thanks! I decided to attend Tulane because they matched the scholarship that NYMC offered me.
Ahhh, congrats! I kind of wish I asked Tulane if they could match my state school tuition, but I was so excited that I wouldn't have to pay $60K+ tuition that I withdrew right away lol