This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ASU is hard core research, not even close to balanced.
I wouldn't waste my time on DUKE or BU, your background seems a little weak for those two schools. (For the record, I had nearly the same stats... I wasted my time on apps to DUKE and BU... So don't be afraid to reach for the stars... they can't say "no" unless you ask!)

Thanks for your input, Mark! Would you suggest applying to Masters level programs as well? I'm concerned about having to do master's level work over again in a future Ph.D. program.

Members don't see this ad.

My concern is my number of schools. Up until today, I felt okay if I don't get in and have to reapply, but now I am starting to feel differently. I am already out of undergrad.

I am applying to 8. I know this is a low number but I came to the decision to apply very late. I have only been choosing the schools that I feel the best about (in terms of POI research interests, location, and money). Also-- :(-- I cannot decide between clinical psych and social psych and am applying to both types of programs (4 of each). So I feel like that halves my chances.

Am I just really screwed? I am applying to what seem to me to be very good/competitive schools (though I don't think any of them are in the top 10 or anything) and almost all are full funding. Probably bad, right...? I could maybe try to add 2-4 more, but I honestly worry a great deal about being able to complete them without some consequences to my health in the time I have.

Briefly:
I have a 3.9 GPA from a state school that isn't well-known
1410 GRE-- Q 680, V 730, writing 6, 710 psych GRE
2 years as undergrad RA in the same lab and went to 2 conferences on group posters with many names on them (never 1st- once 2nd),-- unfortunately did not do much hypothesis formation in that lab or a thesis or any of my own original research.
I was also a TA twice but I don't think that will help.
In terms of clinical experience, I did a semester-long internship.
I am coordinating a few research efforts at my current job but it is not psychology research at all.

I will be forever grateful if anyone even answers this question.:xf: Especially if it is really soon-- if I need to consider adding more.

Your GRE and gpa seem solid, and though a little light, at least you have some clinical and research experiences. I think the biggest issue for you is that you need to really focus in on your research fit at your institutions. What are your interests (perhaps you'll get suggestions for additional places)? I would be very concerned with applying, in essence, to only four schools (of two types).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out what my viable options are and would really appreciate some input, I apologize for how long this post is.

During my junior year of college I started getting ready to apply to graduate school and was planning on applying to doctoral programs, as my long term goal is to become a psychologist. Before it was time for me to take the GRE my father's health went downhill and it became clear that he wasn't going to be able to live alone for much longer. So I changed my plans and decided I would move back home to be there for him.

As I started researching licensing for my home state I found I was lucky as it was one of the very few states that has the psychologist-master license. I found out the accreditation required (CAMPP) to get the specific license and applied to different master's programs & got accepted into all that I applied to.

After deciding on a program and putting down a deposit they then proceeded to drop the CAMPP accreditation in order to gain CACREP accreditation. Due to this change I ended up switching to a different school and have since started in said program. Much to my dismay they announced on Friday that they are planning to drop their CAMPP accreditation in order to gain the CACREP accreditation, so I am now once again stuck.

The way I see it I have a few options. My main option would be to stick with the program and become a mental health counselor at the end. Otherwise I could try to get into a doctoral program. This route I could either try to get everything together to apply now for next fall or I could wait and finish the master's program and then apply to doctoral programs towards the end of my master's program.

As of right now here are my stats:

-Graduated with a 3.83 GPA
-Psychology GPA 3.7
-Cumulative GPA 3.3 (I started out as pre-med then transferred schools & changed major's)
-I have strong LOR's
-My undergraduate program didn't offer research experience & there were no options in the rural area I was in. I do have clinical experience but I know that doesn't tend to matter as much.
-I haven't taken the GRE yet but spent about a year studying & was doing very well on practice tests.
-Finally my options for locations will be extremely limited as I live in a rural state and can't move to far due to my responsibilities helping take care of my dad.

I have a few questions. First, with those stat's what do you think my chances are of getting into a PhD or PsyD program at this point in time? Next, what do you think my chances would be if I did good in my master's program, got a little bit of research experience and did alright on the GRE? Also if anyone would be willing to share some advice, do you think it is even worth it for me to try to get into a doctoral program or should I just be happy with becoming a mental health counselor?

Thank you in advance for any input!

So I just took the GREs and I completely bombed them. I got a 570 on the verbal, and a 450 on the quantitative, with my analytic writing section still ungraded. I want to apply to Rutgers Graduate School of Applied and Professional Psychology, which is competitive, but I don't think its a realistic choice at this point. My GPA should be around a 3.5 by the end of the semester if all continues to go well. What should I do? Take a year off, collect myself, do a prep-course and re-apply in the 2011 year?

I'm a little bewildered and lost.

So I just took the GREs and I completely bombed them. I got a 570 on the verbal, and a 450 on the quantitative, with my analytic writing section still ungraded. I want to apply to Rutgers Graduate School of Applied and Professional Psychology, which is competitive, but I don't think its a realistic choice at this point. My GPA should be around a 3.5 by the end of the semester if all continues to go well. What should I do? Take a year off, collect myself, do a prep-course and re-apply in the 2011 year?

I am sorry things didn't go the way you planned on the GRE. I will tell you what I would do if I were you, however I think the best thing you can do is take some time to relax and give yourself a few weeks, a month, and plenty of time to discuss with good friends and mentors the situation as it stands.

All of the above presupposes that you do not apply this year. I wouldn't not apply if I were you.

Did you study at least 4-6 weeks for the GRE? If yes then you may be in a difficult situation as several studies have shown that those that study 4+ weeks on the GRE tend to score within pretty close range. On the other hand, if you have not studied much this time around I believe that should be your next course of action. Spend about 8-12 weeks of serious study and I can almost assure you a higher score.

Also a year off will give you more time for research. Look for something like this link or a regular RA position.

Just my 2 cents.

My GPA should be around a 3.5 by the end of the semester if all continues to go well. What should I do? Take a year off, collect myself, do a prep-course and re-apply in the 2011 year?

MOD NOTE: I moved your thread to the WAMC thread, which is where all graduate school viability questions belong. -t4c

The good news here is that the Quantitative is the easy one to fix... I would recommend a good 3-5 days reviewing all the math questions in the Princeton Review's Cracking the GRE. I was able to pull a 300 point increase in just a few days. It doesn't take long, you have to learn how to classify and solve the problems quickly.

It's not as bad as you think... I would take them one more time this year if you feel that you can do the math after the week of review. Once you figure it out, it's not bad...

Mark

Hi!

I'm in this very challenging process of applying to various PhD programs-Alabama, Northwestern, Emory, Tennessee, Florida, etc. (about 12-14 total programs).

I didn't major in Psychology in undergrad, however; took a number of psych courses (overall GPA: 3.6). I completed my master's at a very distinguished university w/ a 4.0. I also completed 2 clinical placements at a highly reputable facility. I am currently working at the university as a research asssistant in Neuropsychology, and am getting tons of additional research experience.

My CV is good-Master's research, previous research coordinator, and currently research assistant. I have a few poster presentations, 2 manuscripts (primary author) submitted, and about 2-3 additional mansucripts either submitted or in preparation. My letter of recommendations will be great also. For the most part, my research interests/background fit very nicely w/ the programs I am applying.

My only downfall is my GRE General score-about an 1080-1100ish. I'm not all that great w/ standardized tests! I am re-taking it in a couple of weeks. Will my research and masters degree help compensate for the lower score? I appreciate all of the advice I can get. Thanks!!

Let's put it this way, that GRE score won't help you... but the other stuff sounds pretty solid, if you make the first cut, you'll stand a good chance. So if you get the interview, you can stop worrying about the GRE score.

Let's put it this way, that GRE score won't help you... but the other stuff sounds pretty solid, if you make the first cut, you'll stand a good chance. So if you get the interview, you can stop worrying about the GRE score.

Thanks Markp. I think that my chances are decent, I just hope I can get the GRE up a little more in the coming weeks!

I posted this a while ago, but figured I'd try it again as I got no responses. I'd really appreciate any feedback people can offer. :)

Coursework:

B.A. in English and an M.S. in Child Development.

cGPA is around a 3.3 (last ~70 hours are around 3.65, possible because I have 175 undergrad hours...don't ask :p). Psych courses are around a 3.7.

M.S. GPA was a 3.85 (not in Psych, per se, but very psych related, and the DCT of the Psych program at the university was on my thesis committee). Also have taken several graduate level psych courses (Child Psychopathology, Ped Psych, Clinical Interventions 1 and 2, among others). Made A's in all of them.

Research: First-authorship in a peer-reviewed journal, as well as 2 in-press (and most likely 2 or 3 more, by the time I apply next fall) second or third-authorship articles from my position as an RA in the ped psych lab, which makes 5 or 6 total. 1 poster presentation during undergrad research week, and a poster presentation at regional child clinical psych conference next spring. Finally, I am also the lab manager / head RA for the child clinical psych lab on campus (2 years).

So, my question is two-fold:

1) Will my low undergrad GPA mean that I need to go for a Master's in Psychology, before I try for a Ph.D., or should I go for broke? I do have a bit of research experience, and great letters from my graduate advisor from my Child Development M.S., the DCT from my thesis committe (who's also the head of my research lab), and the profs who taught my grad clinical interventions courses.

2) My other question is this: I'm in the peds lab because it's where my background led me, and I know the director. There is NO ONE in our dept. who does the research I want to work in ultimately (namely, the comorbidity between anxiety and mood disorders). Will that hinder me when I look to apply with POI's who are in a radically different area? I'm basically saying "well, I didn't have any opportunity to work in this specific area, so I worked where I could". Should I attempt to find a position somewhere more related, even if that means moving out of state, etc.?

I'm already 28, and will be 29 when I apply for a Ph.D., assuming I do it next fall. I've been in college without a single break since I was 19. I'm happy to do a M.A. in Psych if it's needed to get me into a Ph.D. program, but I'd rather not add on another 2 or 3 years. As it stands, I'll already be 35 without the M.A. (yeah, that's 16 years straight post-HS, for those counting out there...)

Oh, and I haven't taken the GREs since I applied for my M.S program, which was over 5 years ago. I scored a 780 in Verbal, ~620 in Quant. I think I'm the only person ever with a higher Verbal score (must be my B.A. in English shining through...) :p I'm going to work on bringing my Quant score up, though.

Sorry for the length of this post - I'd appreciate any feedback! :)

I posted this a while ago, but figured I'd try it again as I got no responses. I'd really appreciate any feedback people can offer. :)

Coursework:

B.A. in English and an M.S. in Child Development.

I've been in college without a single break since I was 19. As it stands, I'll already be 35 without the M.A. (yeah, that's 16 years straight post-HS, for those counting out there...)

Expect to have a good answer to this one question, because it will get asked: Why a Ph.D. in psychology when you seem to not be able to pick a field and stick with it?

I think that will be your biggest challenge... I mean you have 10 years of education post high-school already, why do you not want to work in "the real world?"

These are some questions that I would anticipate and have some well rehearsed answers for.

Mark

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
this is me in a nutshell:
undergraduate GPA: 3.7
Psych GPA: 3.9
Graduate GPA (Experimental/General M.A. program): 3.5 (so far, will likely get it up to 3.7 but not before I apply to Ph.D. programs)
GRE:
1st time: 320V 710M
2nd time: 410V 720M
3rd time: 420V 620M
4th time: 490V 650M
(yes, I took it FOUR times)
TOEFL: 98th percentile
3.5 years of research experience (4.5 by the time I finish my masters program)
4 posters (one as first author, no pubs)

I applied to Ph.D programs in Clinical Psych straight out of undergrad, got one interview but ultimately not accepted. Looking back, I know why. I would have not let myself into the program. Instead I went to a small M.A. program at a liberal arts school to get my masters in general psych. The great part about this M.A. program is that it is fully funded.I did get a B- in my of my graduate classes which is really bugging me but it's too late to worry (in my defense I can honestly say that I have never worked so hard and studied so much for a single class, but obviously nobody will know that. I am actively involved in two research labs at my school and I am the lead investigator on three projects. I recently successfully my thesis and hopefully will begin to collect data as soon as it is approved by the IRB. I have a 20hour/week commitment as a TA and I am holding a clinical position as a group leader for parents who have children with behavioral problems.
. English is my second language and I have been living in the US for the past 7 years. I have scored in the 98th percentile when I took it two years ago. I had to take it again last week because the scores are only valid for two years (*bummer*) but I expect to have done equally well or even better. The only really weak part of my application are my GRE scores. My math is fine (even though I am not thrilled that my math actually went down) and over the past 4 months I have worked hard to get my verbal score up. I would have loved to get a 500 on it, but oh well...

What do you guys think?

Expect to have a good answer to this one question, because it will get asked: Why a Ph.D. in psychology when you seem to not be able to pick a field and stick with it?

I think that will be your biggest challenge... I mean you have 10 years of education post high-school already, why do you not want to work in "the real world?"

These are some questions that I would anticipate and have some well rehearsed answers for.

Mark

Mark,

I've thought about that for a long while. Basically, I transferred colleges twice, and was pretty lost for a long while as I tried to decide what it was I wanted to do. I landed into my M.S. program because I knew the director and had taken classes in the department as an undergraduate. I decided pretty early on that I did not want to work with children, but stuck it out and finished my thesis. I took a year of pre-med coursework at Harvard after my Master's, realized I didn't want to go down that route, and went back to my love of psychology. In short, it's just taken me this long to figure out that psychology is what I really want to do. It's not that I don't "want" to be in the real world; I certainly do! But, I don't want to settle for a job that isn't going to make me happy in the long run, and it has taken me until now to realize that psychology is that career.

With that said: where do I stand with the rest of my application? I know I'll have to answer the questions regarding my seeming inability to decide what I've wanted to do, but I don't see that necessarily as a bad thing. I've thought long and hard about this, and I decided I just didn't want to take a job that would slowly make me hate waking up every morning. Long story short, I wish I had made this decision 5 years ago, but it didn't work out that way. I can't change that. I'm just trying to figure out where to go from here...trust me, I know it's been a long and winding road! :p

Hi all,
this is me in a nutshell:
TOEFL: 98th percentile

English is my second language and I have been living in the US for the past 7 years. I have scored in the 98th percentile when I took it two years ago. I had to take it again last week because the scores are only valid for two years (*bummer*) but I expect to have done equally well or even better. The only really weak part of my application are my GRE scores.

What do you guys think?

People seem to understand when English is your second language that the GRE verbal score will suffer. With a great TOEFL score it sounds like you'll be fine.

where do I stand with the rest of my application? I'm just trying to figure out where to go from here...trust me, I know it's been a long and winding road! :p

I think the rest of your application sounds like it is in fine shape... just make sure you can defend your research interests and I can't imagine you not having a good shot.

Mark

PS - I am not throwing stones... I had to answer the same questions at 40, why psychology, why now, etc, etc. It was one of the trickier parts of applying.

I think the rest of your application sounds like it is in fine shape... just make sure you can defend your research interests and I can't imagine you not having a good shot.

Mark

PS - I am not throwing stones... I had to answer the same questions at 40, why psychology, why now, etc, etc. It was one of the trickier parts of applying.

Mark,

Thanks for your input - I didn't think you were throwing stones. :) I'll certainly think about how best to answer that question. Any ideas on my research focus (that is, that I'm doing research in pediatric psych, when my interests are in anxiety / mood disorders?) As I said, I'm in this lab because it's run by someone I've worked with before, and there are no anxiety / mood researchers at my university. Or, is it enough to just show that I HAVE experience, even if it's not in the area I'm interested in?

Thanks again for your help!

So...I just had the most "fantastic" experience with the GRE's.

Before today, I had every intention of applying to Clinical Psychology PhD programs for the upcoming year. The only obstacle in my way at this point was the GRE. After a month of studying, I was able to get my average score on 6 ETS practice tests up to 1400. Of course, after getting into a car accident on the day of my exam and arriving somewhat late, I received an 1120 cumulative score on the actual GRE (560 Q and 560 V and a 5.5 AW). Obviously, I know this is a horrible score, and well below what I deserved/expected. I am unsure that I will be able to take a another exam before the application due date arrives...so this may be all I have for this group of applications.

Essentially, I am taking a huge shot in the dark and asking... is there is any chance for me to get admitted to a clinical psychology PhD program this year with these scores? In terms of the rest of my application, I will have FANTASTIC letters of recommendation, over two years of research experience (including a year running two studies with a combined R01 grant), 3 poster/presentations, multiple journal articles in the works, and my cumulative/departmental GPA both equal 3.7. All in all, I have a strong application, excluding my GRE scores.

I have worked extremely hard to get to this point, and truthfully cannot believe the way this GRE situation has worked out. Is there any hope, or do I need to just wait and apply next year? Thank you so much for any responses! All help is immensely appreciated!

Before today, I had every intention of applying to Clinical Psychology PhD programs for the upcoming year. The only obstacle in my way at this point was the GRE. After a month of studying, I was able to get my average score on 6 ETS practice tests up to 1400. Of course, after getting into a car accident on the day of my exam and arriving somewhat late, I received an 1120 cumulative score on the actual GRE (560 Q and 560 V and a 5.5 AW). Obviously, I know this is a horrible score, and well below what I deserved/expected. I am unsure that I will be able to take a another exam before the application due date arrives...so this may be all I have for this group of applications.

Essentially, I am taking a huge shot in the dark and asking... is there is any chance for me to get admitted to a clinical psychology PhD program this year with these scores? In terms of the rest of my application, I will have FANTASTIC letters of recommendation, over two years of research experience (including a year running two studies with a combined R01 grant), 3 poster/presentations, multiple journal articles in the works, and my cumulative/departmental GPA both equal 3.7. All in all, I have a strong application, excluding my GRE scores.

I have worked extremely hard to get to this point, and truthfully cannot believe the way this GRE situation has worked out. Is there any hope, or do I need to just wait and apply next year? Thank you so much for any responses! All help is immensely appreciated!

It's not horrible. Many people have been accepted with that score and lower. You sound like you do have a strong app. despite your GRE. Don't let it get you down. Apply!

Hey all!

I'm applying to Counseling Psych programs and I'm wondering what are my chances of getting in. Also, any opinions about whether, given my stats, should I shoot low and only apply to schools with average GREs for accepted students below 1200? Any suggestions about whether I should take a shot at clinical programs or just try for counseling?

My stats:

GRE:1100
V: 520, Q: 580.
Undergrad GPA: 3.8
Graduate GPA: 3.8

Currently enrolled in an Applied Developmental Psyc PhD program and will have my masters before I would potentially enter another graduate program (pending acceptance).

I am a junior at a small liberal arts school and have aspirations to be a psychologist. It has always been my dream to earn a doctorate, and seeing as there are so many people here who are wise on this topic, I need some advice/feedback.

I'm not sure how to go about building my resume'. I will have an internship next semester, but besides that I have nothing besides alot of volunteering and extracurricular activities (student-athlete, multiple clubs and organizations, etc.) Many people tell me I need research experience to get into a PhD program, but how to I obtain it?? I am close with one of my professors and have recently asked him if there is anything I could do next semester, what else? who do I ask? what type of research should I be involved in? I will be doing a senior research project through my school, is that enough? I'm quite lost in this area

Also, my grades are not great (expecting to graduate with a 3.2-3.4) so I want to do as much as I can to outweigh that. I have no plans this summer, should I get another internship? how can I get an internship on my own and not affiliated with my school? should I spend the summer helping in research somewhere?

Basicly, what should I do between now and graduation (may '12) to ensure I get admitted to a doctoral psych program (PhD or PsyD)?

Thank you for taking the time to listen!

In short, the answer is yes to all your questions.

Topic of the research doesnt matter as long as it related to psychology/psychiatry or neuroscience in some way. Certainly one draw back of attending small liberal arts schools is that their faculty dont have to be too active or have large labs and grants. Be proactive and get in anywhere you can. Academic med centers, medical schools, or other larger universities/colleges in your area etc. A dynamite GRE score will help offset that GPA some. You will def need to get to know some professors well so they can write you letters to speak to both character, ethic, work potential, and research abilities.

However, keep in mind many of those admitted to ph.d programs have a least a couple years (if not more) of research experience under their belt. So you are going to need to play catch-up. Taking a year or 2 off in between undergrad and grad to get more research experience is becoming more and more common as well.

Hi!
I've stalked this site for a long time, but just now posting. I hope I can give and offer some feedback now that I'm finally (thinking of) applying to grad school.

I'm hoping to get into PhD programs for clinical psych, but I don't know if I should apply this year or try to get more experience/GRE points for next cycle. Here is my info:

Undergrad GPA: 3.6 overall (erg) and 3.9 for psych

Research: undergrad experience for a year at the clinical psych department. currently the principal investigator for two projects at the hospital- one for asthma, and one for a respiratory virus. no publications or presentations :(

clinical experience: worked for one year as a Mental Health Professional at a rehab center (mostly dealing with schizophreniac's)
-now working at the hospital doing a lot of healthcare duties and clinical research (not all psych related)

Recommendations: I'm pretty sure I can get good rec's from some doctors and supervisors at work, but I think the ones from undergrad will be lackluster because it's been so long ago and they won't remember me.

Find a way to take the GRE again... Even if your "official scores" are not in yet, if you are getting 1400's this is a HUGE difference from an 1120. You need to find a way to get in there and do this.

I would not short change yourself on this.

Mark

No it's not a waste of time but you'll need to do a good job explaining your diverse background, and your reasons for applying/interests. This doesn't differ much from what everyone else has to do, but it's especially important because your current work is not psych related. feel free to PM me with questions.

Hi!
I've stalked this site for a long time, but just now posting. I hope I can give and offer some feedback now that I'm finally (thinking of) applying to grad school.

I'm hoping to get into PhD programs for clinical psych, but I don't know if I should apply this year or try to get more experience/GRE points for next cycle. Here is my info:

Undergrad GPA: 3.6 overall (erg) and 3.9 for psych

Research: undergrad experience for a year at the clinical psych department. currently the principal investigator for two projects at the hospital- one for asthma, and one for a respiratory virus. no publications or presentations :(

clinical experience: worked for one year as a Mental Health Professional at a rehab center (mostly dealing with schizophreniac's)
-now working at the hospital doing a lot of healthcare duties and clinical research (not all psych related)

Recommendations: I'm pretty sure I can get good rec's from some doctors and supervisors at work, but I think the ones from undergrad will be lackluster because it's been so long ago and they won't remember me.

I agree with Mark, take the GREs again even if official scores wont be reported until after application deadlines. You might be able to get in without retaking the GRE's, but I would do everything I could to put together the strongest app possible and give myself the best chance of getting in to my top choices.

Here's some tips...

GRE/GPA

These would ideally be high, however, most programs review your application as a whole. Programs that do typically say so on their website. These would be your target schools.

Research Experience

Undergrad thesis and publications would be ideal, but even being "just" a data entry monkey counts as research experience. The important thing is to be able to communicate what you have learned about the process. See if your adviser has graduate students that are presenting stuff. Perhaps you can tag along.

There's also no gold standard for the AMOUNT you need. More is definitely better, but, as with many things, I think quality over quantity is the key.

Field Experience

This is difficult to get as an UG, however, this is where volunteering comes in. Abuse shelters, hot lines, adult day cares, psychiatric hospitals... these are all places to be apart of the mental health field without letters behind your name. Again.. QUALITY. Make sure you're not just refilling ice water cups.

Your other experiences may serve to illustrate your character. Most programs want future leaders. Were you an officer of any of those clubs or organizations? Can you communicate how being an athlete has developed your leadership or communication skills? Can any of these experiences HIGHLIGHT these qualities? This is all stuff that fall into that personal statement.

Letters of Rec.

Typically, you need one from a professor. The better they know you, the better the letter. Stop by and shoot the **** with them. Ask them about their research or ask them to go into depth about something YOU found interesting in their class. Usually if you tell them you're interested in getting a PhD that is related to their research interest they will talk your head off!

Caveat- be mindful of the time. The end of the semester is probably a bad time to start building rapport (or asking for the letter). Hit them up early and it should go well.

If you were volunteering or working for any of the places I mentioned above, you can get a letter from your supervisor. That leaves at least 1 more to fish out on your own.

Alternatives

If you can't get into a PhD program, try a masters in the same or a related field. If you play your cards right,you can shave 1-2 years off your PhD with your masters (essentially acting as your first or first two years of your phd). A MA/MS thesis can be the foundation for a doctoral thesis. Also, a lot of masters programs offer research opportunities AND practice opportunities... all of which make you a stronger PhD applicant. Caveat - check with programs about waiving out of course work. Every program has different standards and processes.

Here's some tips...

GRE/GPA

These would ideally be high, however, most programs review your application as a whole. Programs that do typically say so on their website. These would be your target schools.

Research Experience

Undergrad thesis and publications would be ideal, but even being "just" a data entry monkey counts as research experience. The important thing is to be able to communicate what you have learned about the process. See if your adviser has graduate students that are presenting stuff. Perhaps you can tag along.

There's also no gold standard for the AMOUNT you need. More is definitely better, but, as with many things, I think quality over quantity is the key.

Field Experience

This is difficult to get as an UG, however, this is where volunteering comes in. Abuse shelters, hot lines, adult day cares, psychiatric hospitals... these are all places to be apart of the mental health field without letters behind your name. Again.. QUALITY. Make sure you're not just refilling ice water cups.

Your other experiences may serve to illustrate your character. Most programs want future leaders. Were you an officer of any of those clubs or organizations? Can you communicate how being an athlete has developed your leadership or communication skills? Can any of these experiences HIGHLIGHT these qualities? This is all stuff that fall into that personal statement.

Letters of Rec.

Typically, you need one from a professor. The better they know you, the better the letter. Stop by and shoot the **** with them. Ask them about their research or ask them to go into depth about something YOU found interesting in their class. Usually if you tell them you're interested in getting a PhD that is related to their research interest they will talk your head off!

Caveat- be mindful of the time. The end of the semester is probably a bad time to start building rapport (or asking for the letter). Hit them up early and it should go well.

If you were volunteering or working for any of the places I mentioned above, you can get a letter from your supervisor. That leaves at least 1 more to fish out on your own.

Alternatives

If you can't get into a PhD program, try a masters in the same or a related field. If you play your cards right,you can shave 1-2 years off your PhD with your masters (essentially acting as your first or first two years of your phd). A MA/MS thesis can be the foundation for a doctoral thesis. Also, a lot of masters programs offer research opportunities AND practice opportunities... all of which make you a stronger PhD applicant. Caveat - check with programs about waiving out of course work. Every program has different standards and processes.

Masters programs rarely cut off time from the doctorate due to the fact that few credits often transfer and masters practicum hours do NOT count on your APPI. Thus, you will need the time to complete as much practicum training hours as everyone else in a doctoral program. It certain cases it will lighted the load of courses in the first year or 2, but it hardly ever makes your time shorter.

Well, why not throw out my stats on here just to get some opinions from those who are more knowledgable than I:

B.S. in Psychology from UCF:
GPA - 3.77
MA from Chicago School (yea... I know):
GPA - 4.0

Experiences:
Undergrad - 1 semester Research Assistant; 3 Semesters a TA
Masters - Applied Research Project currently waiting to hear back about being published in the Journal of Marital and Family Therapy
Work related - I have worked directly with patient care at a well respected hospital in Floraida (HRMC) for over 5 years, and progressively went up the ladder of position. Not really psych-ish per say, but I did explain how patient care and help in psych helped me understand the idea of therapy a lot more.

GRE (oh I hate this):
Verbal - 590
Quan - 510
Psych - 510 (not to sure about this right now; but I know it isn't to good)

Letters of Rec:
I know all three are PhD; 2 undergrad teachers and 1 grad teacher. All even mentioned that they can only write great things about my clinical abilities as well as my logical processing. One teacher was acutally in charge of the research team and she even mentioned she wished I would have given more time than one semester since I was so helpful (long story about that but in short - Living on your own, working full time and going to school full time doesn't leave a lot of room open)

SOP:
Pretty strong, creative and thorough for each school. I mention more of my life expereinces that relate to experience for seeking of degrees rather than loads of research. I have always been great at writing (even though this is probably full of errors) so I tried to let that flourish. So very confident about these

Places of Application:
Ph.D. Clinical Psych at U of Boulder Colorado (top choice)
Ph. D. Clinical Psych at U Massachusetts
Ph. D. Clinical Pysch at U of Illinois
Psy. D. Clinical Pysch at U of Indianapolis
and possibly one more University based Psy D if I can find one (suggestions)

Personally I like the idea of the PsyD more due to clinical work, but I do enjoy research just didn't get to put enough time into it. Also I would love to be a teacher in later years and would also love to practice psychotherapy. I guess I seem pretty average or loose in my ideas, but I just wanted to get some sort of feedback. Any is greatly appreciated as I have read these boards for a couple years.

Everyone here is so gifted in the abilities to help. Thank you.

You need to fix those GRE scores.

It can be done.... :) Just takes some hard work. You'll need them to be competitive.

Mark

You need to fix those GRE scores.

It can be done.... :) Just takes some hard work. You'll need them to be competitive.

Mark

I know!! They suck... just hated it. Totally underestimated it. But what really is a bummer is that app due dates are so soon and I don't really have the time to re take it. If I apply and take the test again say in January and send those scores, will the schools maybe look at that those in respect to?

On a side note: What about everything else being competitive? I know I'm not the typical grad student, but I'm almost hoping for that random choice haha :laugh:

I just wanted to give you and others some GRE inspiration. I have taken the GRE 4 times. My scores are as follows:

490 V 580 Q
490 V 600 Q
550 V 580 Q
570 V 700 Q

Yes it looks bad that I took the GRE 4 times, and the score that I ended up with still isnt an outstanding score - but I'm proud of it and I worked hard for it, and I feel so much better applying with that score. So just wanted to give you some inspiration that it can be done!

Thank you hopeful! That does make me feel a bit better. I am currently almost done my Masters, but multiple choice test have never been my suit. I prefer short answer and essay oddly enough. I really just gotta devote that time to it like you did. I'm confident in my verbal, it's my math that kills!

Thank you again, and to anyone else for help!

my math went up almost 200 points once i studied in between time1 and time 2. I went from 550 to 750. Thank god for Kaplan lol

Hi:

I'm new here at SDN and I am very interested in becoming a psychologist and have been for the past 8 years. I have a BA in Psychology with lots of Psych, Sociology and Social Work courses, My undergrad GPA is 3.46. I have an MS.Ed in Counseling with a gpa of 3.67. I am now certified as a School Counselor but working as a regular substitute teacher at a High School and I work with Special Ed youngsters who are EBD, MR and Autistic as well as General Ed students. School Counselor jobs in my area are limited. I graduated from the MS.Ed program 3 years ago and now want to apply to a PSY.d program (Child Psychology focus) that has no GRE requirements and a minimum requirement of 3.0 gpa. I am nervous about this because these institutions can be so picky. Does anyone think that I have a shot, and do you know of anyone who has gone from a School Counseling track to a Psy.D? I also did a year long externship at a College Counseling Center 3 years ago. Do I have a shot??

Does anyone think that I have a shot, and do you know of anyone who has gone from a School Counseling track to a Psy.D? I also did a year long externship at a College Counseling Center 3 years ago. Do I have a shot??

MOD NOTE: All posts about viability belong in this thread, so I merged your thread. -t4c

Hello,

I'm a second career applicant for a Clinical Psychology PhD. GRE 1400, GPA 3.5 Ivy League (not in psychology) and some clinical experience and good letters of recommendation. I am currently getting an EdM in educational psychology part-time, online. I have no research experience in Psychology and my masters' supervised research course is not until my last semester (Spring 2012), which is too late for me to show in my application for entrance in 2012. I am interested in research oriented programs (in fact, I became interested in the field as I started reading research studies during my clinical training and continued reading on my own). For 2011, I have an unpredictable work schedule (which is why I'm doing my EdM online) that requires me to be out of town quite often.

So here are my questions:

1.- How can I bridge my lack of research experience given my work schedule (the effort for me to put in is not the issue, but I cannot commit to specific times or days of the week to be in a lab setting). Is supervised research on literature topics an acceptable substitute?

2.- WAMC at the following schools: U Texas Austin, Central Florida, U Wisconsin-Madison, Florida State University, University of Arizona and UCLA.

3.- In the forum threads I've read about programs that skew favorably towards older students. How can I find out what these programs are? I'm only interested in funded programs.

Thank you in advance for your guidance.

Last edited:
Howdy everyone!!

I'm relatively new but this seems to be the place to go for opinions and a consistency of reassurance so I figured I'd throw my stats out there and see what some of you thought. They are as follows:

GRE-V = 770 (~87th)
GRE-Q = 570 (~80th)
GRE-W = 5.5 (94th)
GRE-Psy = 710 (82nd)

GPA-Cum = 3.43
GPA-Psy = 3.62

Research Exp: One year of Neuro-endocrine research, four lab courses and a self-directed lab.
Clinical Exp: None to speak of :/

Schools (All Clinical PhD):
Tier 1 (Stretch): UNC-Chapel Hill, Duke, BU, Northwestern
Tier 2 (Reach): Michigan St, UMASS, UCONN, Case Western, George Mason
Tier 3 (Mid): U Rhode Island, Suffolk U, Clark U

Any thoughts or opinions on this would be much appreciated :)

Thanks everyone!
-J

Hello all,

(First of all, I'm not an English native speaker, so there might be some grammatical errors and some sentences might sound a little bit awkward. Hope everyone won't mind this.)

I'm currently an MA student in clinical psychology. My program is MA-PhD, so if nothing goes so wrong, I'll be on my way to do a PhD.

However, now that I'm in my second year in the MA program, I feel that this might not be the right path for me. I like the clinical training component of the program, but research is really not my thing, and I can't see myself enduring 4-5 more years of doing research. So, I just started considering applying to psy.d. programs (I know it's quite late to have this kind of realization in November!!!)

Besides the fact that I might have to rush everything to complete my application in time, I am not sure that my qualifications (not sure if this is the right term) are good enough. My undergrad GPA was 3.92 (out of 4), but my current grad GPA is a bit less than 3.5 (hopefully it'll be about 3.5 by the end of this semester) but this is out of 4.3 not 4.0. My GRE (from 2 years ago) was 1300 (640 verbal, 660 math, 4.5 writing) and 730 for the Psych one. I'm really concerned about my current GPA because it's probably really low in comparison to others'. (There were some personal issues I had last year, so school wasn't quite my top priority at that moment. My low grades were from Statistics courses... which were not very surprising.)

In terms of experience in clinical setting, I observed some cases last year, and I am seeing a client this year. I learned how to administer some tests (WAIS-IV, WISC-IV, MMPI-2, TAT)... and that's it.

I'm not sure I should apply this year since the deadlines will probably be quite soon, but if I don't, I might end up going into the phd program next year (I've a scholarship that comes with a time restriction... so I cannot really take some time off of school.) Also, will my current GPA greatly affect my chance of getting into a psy.d. program? I only know a few psy.d. programs (Rutgers... and heard of Argosy, LaSalle, MSPP). What are other relatively well-known psy.d. programs?

Thank you very much for every opinion :)

I'm not being funded by the university though (but my scholarship covers my tuition fees & monthly allowance).

I'm not being funded by the university though (but my scholarship covers my tuition fees & monthly allowance).

Stay stay stay. It is much better to gut out a couple of years doing research and being debt-free (more or less from the sound of things) than to go into a psyd program and 100k sunk.

Stay stay stay. It is much better to gut out a couple of years doing research and being debt-free (more or less from the sound of things) than to go into a psyd program and 100k sunk.

What if money isn't a concern at all? The thing is, for my scholarship, I can go to any (accredited) schools and my tuition fees will always be taken care of by the scholarship agency. (I know this may sound too good to be true.)

Hi,

I just wanted to get a sense of the likelihood of getting accepted into a PhD or PsyD program. I am applying to a few of each for the upcoming school year. My undergrad GPA is less then stellar (2.9, with a 3.2 psych GPA), and my GRE scores (from 2 years ago) are a 1050. However Im currently in an experimental psych MS program, and have a 3.6 GPA. I also am a grad assistant at my schools autism center, and have 2 years of clinical experience working with children with autism. I also have one publication in press.

What do you think?

Im applying to some developmental psych PhDs and some PsyD programs. I'm worried because my undergrad GPA is low (2.9, but a 3.2 psych major GPA). Part of that is because I started off pre-med. I took the GRE 2 years ago, and got a 1050. However I am now in a master's programs and have a GPA of 3.6. I also am a grad assistant at my school's autism center, and have taught some undergrad classes in the autism minor. I also have a publication that is in press.

I wonder if i have a shot at any schools? Also, should I explain my GPA in my personal statements, or instead highlight my accomplishments??

Your GRE will keep you out of almost all ph.d programs and the quality psy.D programs. It willhave to come up, no question. Your UG GPA could still be problematic as well, as some schools will still hold to the 3.0 UG GPA cutoff.