This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think you'll have as good as chance as any, though I'd reconsider taking the GRE so late in case you want too re-take. Everything else looks very good! Good luck! :luck:

Yeah I changed my plans since then to take them late september just in case I need to retake in october.

All things considered what would you say is a good gre score? I spoke to a few professors/my advisor and I've heard mostly 1200. But I keep looking at various clinical programs and I see 1300-1400? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I changed my plans since then to take them late september just in case I need to retake in october.

All things considered what would you say is a good gre score? I spoke to a few professors/my advisor and I've heard mostly 1200. But I keep looking at various clinical programs and I see 1300-1400? :confused:

I think above 1200 is normally a strong score for most programs. However, for what one may consider 'top tier' programs the unofficial cutoff is usually 1300. There has been quite a bit of back and forth on this forum about this so take it all with a grain of salt. (Edit: And I say unofficial because most programs will either advertise an 'ideal' score or a lower cut off than what you'll hear here... aside from student disclosure data (which gives you a better idea) you'll rarely see any program say that you need above a 1200 to be considered... which is technically true I guess).

There is no guarantee that you'll get an interview if you are even far above those 'cutoffs' (and there is no guarantee you won't get an interview if you're below it). HOWEVER, I was told by professors at the top tier programs I applied to that I needed above a 1300 (ideally closer to 1400) if I really wanted to be looked at or stand a chance. To be specific, (although I didn't apply to this program) the 1300 unofficial cutoff included programs at schools like Boston University with a more clinical-scientist (research) focus.

If you search the forums you'll probably get a good number of hits of people discussing this. There are some fine nuances to how we (i.e., those of us on this forum) think that GREs work and are evaluated. But, from memory, the usual consensus is that they may matter to get you past the first 'cut off' but not once you get an interview. Exceptions to this might include schools like Yale which don't do in person interviews. And from previous posts I remember people detailing examples of programs still reviewing applications with even far lower scores than the 'cut off' and pulling out ones that have other strong characteristics (e.g., research experience) for consideration.

In other news, regarding re-taking the GRE, I was told by various professors at different clinical programs that it wouldn't matter unless I could raise my score by about 100 points (which I did luckily).

(PS - I'm aware of cut offs not just from the professors I worked for but also from ones who I applied to work with who explicitly told me that my score would make it past the cut off for their program... PPS -I wouldn't bother a prof you don't know by asking this though, I just had an interesting case where a prof volunteered the information when I contacted him).

Last edited:
Thanks, Mark. The thing is, that's a huge part of the reason why I want to do what I want to do. At the time I didn't know how to handle it and now I'm absolutely fascinated with anything psychology related so I wasn't sure that I should just brush over it if it was a big motivator for me...???

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, Mark. The thing is, that's a huge part of the reason why I want to do what I want to do. At the time I didn't know how to handle it and now I'm absolutely fascinated with anything psychology related so I wasn't sure that I should just brush over it if it was a big motivator for me...???

Personally I believe that leaving personal family mental health history out of the equation is smart, this is something you might share in an interview, but if it is really critical to telling a compelling story about yourself in your personal statement you might risk it. It very much depends on the context and the program that you are applying.

It may be smarter to say, "I have seen the turmoil that depression can cause in families and I want my research and practice of psychology to focus on this issue that touches the lives of so many. Depression affects more families than any other mental health disorder and additional research is needed to promote healthy coping mechanisms and promote the prevention of depression through [name your poison here]. I believe that by working in the lab of Dr. X, I will be able to pursue needed research in [re-state your favorite poison here] and integrate that with the graduate education offered at [name of college]."

It's a little less personal, but still offers an accurate portrayal of why you want to work in depression. You don't have to say it was your family, you just have to say you understand where it can impact families. If pressed in an interview you could even elaborate, but unless your GPA is dismal (less than a 3.25), I probably wouldn't bother addressing my GPA in a personal statement. I would let one of my recommendation writers address it, specifically ask them if they would do so and I am sure that it will go over a lot better than you trying to explain it away. I would also take courses to raise my overall UGPA to 3.25 or better, this is better than having to explain a 2.9 GPA. A second option would be to get a Masters degree, this is another way to mitigate poor UGPA's.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
i have no idea where to put this but...

i had taken three practice gre's with little study and had scored in the 1100-1200 range.. i have studied my ass off and i just scored 660 on another practice test :scared::eek:

i have no idea where to put this but...

i had taken three practice gre's with little study and had scored in the 1100-1200 range.. i have studied my ass off and i just scored 660 on another practice test :scared::eek:

Just relax, stop putting so much pressure on yourself.

I'm looking to apply to research oriented clinical PhD schools with neuroimaging research and cognitive neuroscience PhD programs. (i know this is unfocused but my research interest is the same for all programs)

some of them are Northwestern, Cincinnati, Carnegie Mellon, Minnesota, University of New Mexico

So here are my "stats"

Overall gpa: 3.66
Psychology gpa: 3.96

GRE- not taken yet.. aiming for 1250 (i know its low but i'm not a good standardized test taker.)

Extra curricular: psi chi and psych club president, aps student rep, 6 honors societies, lots of other psych department activities, a few other clubs, and I'm on my schools institutional review board.

Research Experience: I've worked on ten different research projects at my school. Some of them were more involved then others and they have been for various professors, classes, and other students senior projects. I've coded data, ran participants, used psychphysiological equipment(EEG, EMG, EOG, GSR), programmed with experimental software, data coding, ran rats, performed rat brain surgery, data entry, data analysis, and wrote manuscripts for my classes. From these projects I have 4 poster presentations.

I also am working on an honors thesis investigating the cognitive neuroscience behind decision making. I plan on presenting this also at some point.

I also worked at a hospital administering neuropsychological tests to inpatients and outpatients for a summer. I learned many different neuropsych tests. I also completed 3 different research projects and helped with the lit review a published neuropsych book. For these projects, I wrote an IRB form, found the clinical data and analyzed it. One of the projects was presented at APA (i was a co-author) Another one will be presented this winter (last author)

Finally, this summer I had an internship at an ivy league (if this matters) school doing social and cognitive neuroimaging research. I got hands on fmri experience, learned how to use fmri software, ran participants, lit review stuff, coded data, wrote the programs for experiements, pretty much every facet of starting a project from scratch. i feel it was great experience even for only a summer

I should get good LOR since I know my professors pretty well and I've done a lot of work for them. I'm expecting my LOR to be on par with other strong applicants.

Also, for what it's worth I have a publication in the APS's undergraduate update.

So SDN, first off thank you for reading all that, and secondly, what are my chances?

Thank you very much!

First, I just want to say thank you for all of the great material that I've found here, and for anyone who takes the time to read and answer this.

So I'm working backwards from what I want to do to find what sort of a program is going to fit me. For the last 3 years I have worked as a professional dating coach—as in I take guys out to bars, bookstores or anywhere really, and show them everything from how to start a conversation with a woman, create attraction, get her phone number, a date, and so on. Part of the issue that I have encountered in this work is that there are HUGE, deep-set, personal emotional issues that pop up for most men when it comes to dealing with this area of their life. What I need is the therapeutic skill set and psychological understanding of what's going on with them to really allow for me to help them heal this area of their life. This is one part of why I‘m going to get an advanced degree in psychology of some sort.

The other part is that I know that much of the work that I have done as a dating coach is powerful and valuable, but none of the concepts or work that I do has had any sort of research done around it. I very strongly believe that research needs to be done around the kind of work that I do and with helping people feel empowered, confident, and like they are in control of their dating life. So the other part of the equation is that I need to have a research component of the degree so I can validate that some of the work that I am doing is helpful and healing in a therapeutic context. The eventual goal would be to blend what I know now and the knowledge and experience I gain as a therapist to create an approach of treatment for people that really struggle with their dating lives (I think some of the clients I have worked with have love-shyness, or some kind of social anxiety disorder that gets specifically triggered by being around the opposite sex).

Now, as for actually getting into a program, I really only have being a dating coach as my "hands-on" experience working in psychology. My undergrad wasn't in pscyh, it was in international relations, although I did take about 20 units or so of psych classes. My upper-division GPA was 3.85, and overall GPA was 3.63. I did just start doing some volunteer research work with a grad student at a prestigious university, but that's all in the social psychology department essentially helping someone crunch numbers for a few hours every other week—not really doing any hands on work. And I haven't taken the GRE yet, but I think I should get a 600 verbal and 700 quantitative, based off of my practice test.

So now that all of that is out of the way, here are my questions: What sort of a program would be best for me, considering the kind of research that I want to do and what interest me? Counseling psychologist PhD? Clinical psychology? Or just a master's program that has research with it and will let me get a MFT? Also, could I really get into a PhD program off the bat with my current resume, or would I need to get a masters first and then apply to PhD programs? Funding is important to me, so I really can't apply to non-funded programs. Also, does anyone know of universities that do any sort of research around what my interest are?

Any thoughts, comments, questions, or advice that can help me get closer to achieving this dream is more than welcomed.

Thanks.

Also, could I really get into a PhD program off the bat with my current resume, or would I need to get a masters first and then apply to PhD programs? Funding is important to me, so I really can't apply to non-funded programs. Also, does anyone know of universities that do any sort of research around what my interest are?

MOD NOTE: This is best addressed in the WAMC thread, so I moved your post here. -t4c

I really want to apply to Clinical Psych Ph.D programs, but fear that I am not competitive enough right out of undergrad--mainly because my GPA is only a 3.4 since I started out Pre-med.

I have been told that I can also practice psychotherapy as an MSW. If I went on to apply to Ph.D programs after receiving an MSW, do you think this would help/hurt/or be neutral to my chances?

Or, would it be best to get a MA in counseling or something else before applying? Or neither...and just keep trying?

I'm just really confused because I really want to get my Ph.D in Clinical but don't want to waste my time if I'm not competitive, but I also don't want to sell myself short and apply to a masters program that I don't 100% want to do. (or waste my money)

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I really want to apply to Clinical Psych Ph.D programs, but fear that I am not competitive enough right out of undergrad--mainly because my GPA is only a 3.4 since I started out Pre-med.

I have been told that I can also practice psychotherapy as an MSW. If I went on to apply to Ph.D programs after receiving an MSW, do you think this would help/hurt/or be neutral to my chances?

Or, would it be best to get a MA in counseling or something else before applying? Or neither...and just keep trying?

I'm just really confused because I really want to get my Ph.D in Clinical but don't want to waste my time if I'm not competitive, but I also don't want to sell myself short and apply to a masters program that I don't 100% want to do. (or waste my money)

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

This really belongs in the what are my chances thread.... bottom line is that we don't have enough information to help you, there is much more to your chances than your GRE. A 3.4 is high enough to be competitive, but like I said, there is much more to it than that.

Mark

Just relax, stop putting so much pressure on yourself.

Seriously, I have to agree with this. After I scored 650 on the practice test I went on rigorous study session over the course of 3 days locking myself in the library.. and in all honesty I feel like a complete idiot despite all the studying because for the first time in a long time I am burnt out.

The idea that the GRE can make me or break me freaks me out I guess. But this excessive studying has done me more harm than good.

So I'm a senior majoring in Brain, Behavior and Cognitive Science and minoring in Spanish at the University of Michigan. I want to apply to Ph.D programs but am not sure if I am a competitive enough candidate. I am considering applying to masters programs because of this....either MSW or mental health counseling...does anyone recommend either of these to strengthen credentials? or skip a masters and keep trying to get into Ph.D programs? Anyway, here's my info!

overall GPA: 3.38 (expected to go up more after ruining it with premed the first two years)
psych GPA: 3.44

GRE: 530 verbal, 610 quant--i know this is not strong and am retaking it in the beginning of october

1 yr research experience in a biopsych lab doing circadian rhythm research
Just started another biopsych lab that i will continue through this year

volunteered at the children's hospital

Alternative Spring Break participant
This year I will be a Site Leader for ASB.

I am also on the Counseling and Psychological Services Student Advisory Board

I am also a member of Psi Chi.

So...Chance me

This really belongs in the what are my chances thread.... bottom line is that we don't have enough information to help you, there is much more to your chances than your GRE. A 3.4 is high enough to be competitive, but like I said, there is much more to it than that.

Mark

MOD NOTE: Yup, so I moved it. -t4c

I recently graduated and I am looking at graduate schools in Clinical Neuropsychology. At present my top choices are Queen's College/CUNY, Fordham, Drexel, and Temple. I am a psychology major with a minor in biology:

Undergrad GPA: 3.56
Psychology: 3.68

GRE Quant: 760
GRE Verbal: 630
GRE Analytical: 4.0 (I'm not sure if its worth retaking over this)

GRE Psychology: 720

Research Experience: One and a half-years studying fear conditioning in animal models.

LORs: I think I can get strong letters of recommendation from the professors I've worked with.

Clinical Experience: None, and I am unsure of the best way to go about procuring it. I hope to apply in the winter and I'm wondering if several months of it will be of help.

I'm generally wondering what my chances are, and what I should do to strengthen my application.

Thank you.

Undergrad GPA: 3.56
Psychology: 3.68

GRE Quant: 760
GRE Verbal: 630
GRE Analytical: 4.0 (I'm not sure if its worth retaking over this)

GRE Psychology: 720

I'm generally wondering what my chances are, and what I should do to strengthen my application.

Thank you.

Seriously, with a 1390 GRE and a UGPA over 3.5, you are somehow concerned? Please tell me why you are concerned??? Was it your "weak" 720 psych GRE?

Look you did great on the GRE and UGPA, but that is just a part of the process, at this point you need to focus on "fit".

Good luck.

Mark

Hello everyone!

So I know that everyone asks this question over and over again, but I need an answer specific to my situation, so I thought I'd turn to this forum for help.

I am a senior psych major at a medium sized private university. I only switched to psych a few months into my junior year, as I was pre-med before. That being said, my CGPA is a 3.3, and my psych GPA is a 3.5. I have done two semesters of research in a positive psychology lab, and one semester and a summer of research in a mood and anxiety lab. I ran participants and studies in both labs. I have a few of extracurricular activities which I know won't make much of a difference in the application process. My GRE, which I took a month ago, was a 1350 (670V, 680 Q). I am taking the psych GRE in November.

I know that the major areas that my application is lacking in are GPA and research experience (posters, pubs, etc.). I have had no opportunities for publications, and it looks like I'm going to graduate without any. So in my situation, would it be better for me to do a masters at a reputable, research-oriented university? Or to take a couple of years off and work in an RA position? Since I need to boost both my GPA and research exp. I thought the MA would be the best way to go. So far I have looked at NYU, TC, Villanova, William and Mary, Wake Forest, Boston College, and Boston University. I know a lot of people who post on this forum are partial to the RA route, but I didn't know if my situation is different and the MA would benefit me more...

I don't know which of these options would get me into a competitive phD program in the future. Any guidance as to which would be better for me would be fabulous. Thanks! http://img2.studentdoctor.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Hello everyone!

So I know that everyone asks this question over and over again, but I need an answer specific to my situation, so I thought I'd turn to this forum for help.

MOD NOTE: Your post is about your viability as a candidate, so I moved it to the appropriate thread. -t4c

Seriously, with a 1390 GRE and a UGPA over 3.5, you are somehow concerned? Please tell me why you are concerned??? Was it your "weak" 720 psych GRE?

Look you did great on the GRE and UGPA, but that is just a part of the process, at this point you need to focus on "fit".

Good luck.

Mark

I'm worried about my lack of clinical experience mostly; and how to develop a strong personal statement. I'm not sure if I'm better off discussing how I'm a good fit for say... an entire program vs. a good fit as a student for a single faculty member. My research interests aren't so narrow yet that I can imagine say... only applying to programs who are doing research with only TBI, only Alzeimers, etc. and I don't know if broader interests will be perceived as a weakness on a personal statement.

And thank you for your input, I'm glad to know my scores and UGPA are nothing to worry about; I've been seeing a lot of high GPA's among other applicants and I was unsure if 3.5 was "average" or "bare minimum" as I get the sense from some programs.

This site's really been a good wealth of information; I wish I'd found it sooner.

I'm worried about my lack of clinical experience mostly; and how to develop a strong personal statement. I'm not sure if I'm better off discussing how I'm a good fit for say... an entire program vs. a good fit as a student for a single faculty member. My research interests aren't so narrow yet that I can imagine say... only applying to programs who are doing research with only TBI, only Alzeimers, etc. and I don't know if broader interests will be perceived as a weakness on a personal statement.

And thank you for your input, I'm glad to know my scores and UGPA are nothing to worry about; I've been seeing a lot of high GPA's among other applicants and I was unsure if 3.5 was "average" or "bare minimum" as I get the sense from some programs.

This site's really been a good wealth of information; I wish I'd found it sooner.

As far as your SOP I think you should get Asher's book.

As to how specific of a fit to look for...

Think in terms of who you would like to study with as you look through faculty pages. This may seem obvious but I believe you will gravitate toward particular schools and faculty as you spend time reading their specific lab pages. As to how to communicate this fit in the SOP I would first speak about how you got to where you are on this journey, then name the faculty you are thinking of as a fit, then speak about what interests you about their research- naming specific lines of research, then offer a merging of sorts between your interest and their line of research you just spoke about. Makes sense?

As to your clinical experience I would not worry about that as much if you are headed toward a research oriented program. Try to get some, but don't stress over it. Your stats are great and should carry you at a lot of programs if you have a good fit.

Remember to add a few schools that have significantly lower number of applicants, lower GRE scores, and still have a fit.

AMK22, you can overcome the "low" GPA, which is low for clin psych graduate programs is not unheard of... you will need to nail the GRE's you can do this... I am NOT that smart but I did work hard and took a lot of time to really make sure that my GRE's put an end to the question of whether or not I was qualified for grad school (I was coming out of a low/unranked undergraduate school.) I barely got a 1300, but it was enough to get my package looked at by some great programs.

You can do this, don't get all wrapped up around the wheel. You can admit that you were unfocused early on, there is no shame in that. Once you got focused can you show that you got your act together? If so, then I wouldn't stress it, because your undergraduate years are about discovering your interests and your future direction. Frame it that way.

Mark

I HATE THE GRE!!! Had to get that out first... anyone have thoughts on getting into clinical phd program with a gre score of 1130. I just took it for the third time and I cannot raise my score past a 1200 for the life of me. I get in to the 1200 range on practice tests, but can't do it on the real thing. Anyway, I have a 4.0 gpa and some very good research experience (neuroimaging). Should I still apply? Should I retake? I think taking it for a 4th time would like horrible....

I need some advice :(

Can you retake the GRE?

If not look for programs with lower GRE averages.

I HATE THE GRE!!! Had to get that out first... anyone have thoughts on getting into clinical phd program with a gre score of 1130. I just took it for the third time and I cannot raise my score past a 1200 for the life of me. I get in to the 1200 range on practice tests, but can't do it on the real thing. Anyway, I have a 4.0 gpa and some very good research experience (neuroimaging). Should I still apply? Should I retake? I think taking it for a 4th time would like horrible....

I need some advice :(

Two ways to look at taking the GRE 4 times... either you are confirming that you can't break out or that you have the will to not accept defeat even in the face of adversity.

You should still apply, but the GRE will hurt you a little. A poor GRE in and by itself is not going to kill your chances however you need to provide professors with the reason to ignore your GRE performances.

1. Go to conferences, NETWORK heavily.
2. Have your LOR writers use their networks to help you out. A heartfelt personal recommendation that addresses your sub-par GRE performance should be helpful.
3. Don't apologize for your inability to score well on this one test. It is just that a test with limited validity and poor predictive value. Remain focused on your strengths and really hammer home the 4.0 GPA (especially if it is from a good school.) A 4.0 from a good school illustrates that the GRE is not a perfect predictor of performance. Build on all these other things that are positives.

Don't be afraid to apply with an 1130, any stellar candidate will standout even with one black mark. It might prevent you from getting into Yale, U of Michigan, or some other big name program but there are plenty of programs that would give you a shot, some of which are quite good.

Mark

Okay, here is my dilemma:

My goal is to enter a Clinical Psych PhD program and I am very committed to it (I see myself at a university teaching/doing research with a private practice on the side) I am particularly interested in treatment for substance abuse.

The only downside is my undergrad GPA is "less-than-stellar" (due to pre-med courses freshman year) I worked super hard my soph-senior year to hike it up from 2.98 to 3.36. I did get A's/A-'s in most of my upper level psych courses/general courses and I graduated with a BA in Psych.

I have had significant experience in two labs. One at my undergrad institution for a year and and now working at a prestigious university currently on substance abuse treatment (clinical trials) for the past year. Both were paid (current one is full-time). I know that I can get excellent LOR out of these and I am a pretty good writer so I am confident about SOP.

I also interned in a substance abuse clinic and worked at a neuropsychology services. So I have a filled up CV with supervisors who are well respected people in the field.

I am currently studying for GRE's to take this winter and hired a tutor since I know there is no question I NEED to get at least a 1300/1400 to make up for my GPA.

But my main question is:
- with a undergrad gpa of 3.36 - is it worth enrolling in a master's program to SOLELY to prove that I can do graduate work? (tuition is not an issue, FYI) or is there something else (besides GRE's) that I could use to make up for the low GPA? I enrolled in one masters course at local univ to get my feet wet.
(PLUS: I am also leaning towards a masters since I feel like I need a better understanding/grasp of substance abuse research and to narrow my interests within the large field - i.e. what I specifically want to research)

Hey gang,
I'll be applying this December, to a host of mostly research-heavy PhD clinical programs (Yale, UWash, BU, Rutgers, Harvard, UVA, etc).

I've been a RA/study coordinator the last year and a half at a major psychiatric research facility, within a pretty famous clinic and with a well-known supervisor (though he's better known in psychiatry than clinical psych). Good research experience and some clinical in terms of diagnostic assessments and the fact that it's a clinical trial. Also worked in several other labs as an undergrad.

I've got 1 paper (in an undergrad research journal) and 1 presentation as an undergrad in pharmacology
Also second-authored a book that my team put out- it's self published, though
Am presenting grand rounds at a hospital in a week
Hoping to have at least one more paper (first author) submitted to a major journal by application time- wouldn't likely be published until much later, but at the very least "submitted for review"?

GRE: 710 V, 730 Q, 4.5AW
GRE Psych: 750
Undergrad GPA top tier university 3.78; psych 3.7; last 2 years 3.97.

Should have 3 strong letters of recommendation.

Thoughts? I'm just wondering in terms of the programs I'm applying to, cuz they're, you know, not easy to get in to. I guess it's mostly fit now. Thanks!

Last edited:
Thoughts? I'm just wondering in terms of the programs I'm applying to, cuz they're, you know, not easy to get in to. I guess it's mostly fit now. Thanks!

And you would be right. You'll fly past the initial cuts with your numbers, but it all rests on your SoP and then your interviews.

Hey gang,

Yes, you should be applying to top tier programs and be quite competitive. It's really gonna boil down to who you match best with and you should have a few programs to choose from when you get right down to it.

Your stats are excellent, your experience matches up with what is expected, and you seem to be pretty humble about where you are.

All pretty good signs that karma will treat you well.

Mark

PS - Nice job, I am sure you worked hard for at least some of it, if not all of it. :)

Hey gang,
I'll be applying this December, to a host of mostly research-heavy PhD clinical programs (Yale, UWash, BU, Rutgers, Harvard, UVA, etc).

I've been a RA/study coordinator the last year and a half at a major psychiatric research facility, within a pretty famous clinic and with a well-known supervisor (though he's better known in psychiatry than clinical psych). Good research experience and some clinical in terms of diagnostic assessments and the fact that it's a clinical trial. Also worked in several other labs as an undergrad.

I've got 1 paper (in an undergrad research journal) and 1 presentation as an undergrad in pharmacology
Also second-authored a book that my team put out- it's self published, though
Am presenting grand rounds at a hospital in a week
Hoping to have at least one more paper (first author) submitted to a major journal by application time- wouldn't likely be published until much later, but at the very least "submitted for review"?

GRE: 710 V, 730 Q, 4.5AW
GRE Psych: 750
Undergrad GPA top tier university 3.78; psych 3.7; last 2 years 3.97.

Should have 3 strong letters of recommendation.

The one thing that might raise eyebrows at the schools you're applying to is the lack of non-undergrad-journal publications and presentations from your RA work, but the submitted manuscript should help with that. When you say the book is "self-published," what does that mean? Will it have an ISBN, be available for sale, etc.?

Anyway, that's the only potential stumbling block that sticks out to me. Your credentials otherwise seem quite strong and like you said, it largely based on fit at this point. A strong letter from a well-known PI should also help, especially if you're applying to POI's in the same research area.

Good luck! :luck:

The one thing that might raise eyebrows at the schools you're applying to is the lack of non-undergrad-journal publications and presentations from your RA work, but the submitted manuscript should help with that. When you say the book is "self-published," what does that mean? Will it have an ISBN, be available for sale, etc.?

Thanks! The book is self published through a company called Lulu. It does have an ISBN and is now available on Amazon- it's just that it didn't have to go through the normal gamut of the publishing world, which makes it sound like a non-peer-reviewed journal in my mind. It's a really good book, but since it's self published it could just have easily been a collection of erotic poetry.

I know what you mean about the lack of publications from my RAing. Certainly going to try to rectify that, and at least the grand rounds I'm presenting is related to that work.

All pretty good signs that karma will treat you well.

Mark

PS - Nice job, I am sure you worked hard for at least some of it, if not all of it. :)

Thanks, Mark. I've got hope but it's hard to believe anyone has come out of this process alive. We'll see what happens. Exciting times ahead!:soexcited:

Thanks! The book is self published through a company called Lulu. It does have an ISBN and is now available on Amazon- it's just that it didn't have to go through the normal gamut of the publishing world, which makes it sound like a non-peer-reviewed journal in my mind. It's a really good book, but since it's self published it could just have easily been a collection of erotic poetry.

I know what you mean about the lack of publications from my RAing. Certainly going to try to rectify that, and at least the grand rounds I'm presenting is related to that work.

Thanks, Mark. I've got hope but it's hard to believe anyone has come out of this process alive. We'll see what happens. Exciting times ahead!:soexcited:

Because the book isn't peer-reviewed, it probably won't help you that much, but IMO, it's probably still worth having on your CV just to show you've been a contributor to your lab's products.

Like I said, your profile seems pretty strong otherwise! :luck:

I'm a research assistant currently applying to funded clinical psych phd programs. My credentials are as follows:
GPA: 3.6. Yes it's low but it's also from one of the top 10 liberal arts colleges – I asked one of my recommenders to mention that this school does not inflate grades. Accounting for all undergrad classes I took including those abroad and those at UPenn while working here, my GPA overall is 3.63. I know these are on the lower end of OK and I'm really worried I won't pass the cutoff for many of the schools I'm applying to.
GRE: 700 V, 760 Q, 5.5 AWA, and 760 Psychology
Research: I've been working in a neurology lab for 2 years and have 1 publication, 1 more under review, and up to 2 others to be submitted within the next few months. I also have a few posters. As an undergrad I completed an extensive year-long senior thesis project in which I designed/ran a study and wrote a lengthy report including lit review, results, discussion etc. I also worked as an RA for a professor for one summer.

Clinical experience: 1 summer working with autistic children, extensive contact with stroke patients for health/behavioral screenings, neuropsych testing, and brain stimulation administration
Clinical research experience: currently receiving extensive training in a curriculum to prevent depression in adolescent girls (intervention will start in winter), volunteering at a children's anxiety treatment center (mostly helping with recruitment – no clinical contact yet)
Other volunteer experience: 1 semester as writing tutor for minority high school students, 1 year as a classroom assistant in an art class for homeless kids
I tentatively plan to apply to: U of WA, U of OR, UC Berkeley, Emory, GW, U of IL at Chicago, Loyola U of Chicago, Northwestern, U of MA at Boston, U of NM, Wash U in St. Louis, Temple, Penn, Drexel, Yale, U of MD Baltimore County, U of Pittsburgh
I'm wondering if I'm being too optimistic in applying to so many top programs. My main concerns are my GPA, lack of clinical experience, and the fact that the bulk of my research experience is in neurology and personality/social psychology (for the sr thesis). I've only recently gained a little experience in specifically clinical psych research. I'm going to aim to work with child clinical researchers (looking at vulnerability and resiliency factors in adolescence) and I'm worried that they will find my experiences irrelevant, though I'll try my best to write a convincing personal statement
Basically, I'm wondering if it would be wiser to apply to less competitive programs. Also, has anyone been admitted to a good program and come into a lab with little experience in that specific area?

Your research experience seems exceptionally strong, and I really doubt your GPA will get you screened out. IMO, you're at the "fit and luck" stage of things, and it sounds like you could tie your work with child/adolescent anxiety into vulnerability and resiliency in adolescents pretty easily. You have a very strong app, and provided good fit, strong LORs, and solid SOP, I think you'll do fine! Good luck! :luck:

Last edited:
Hello, all! As I'm sure you can see, I'm new to the site, but only in name...I've been wandering around for a while now. :) As I'm applying to schools this fall, I figured I may as well ask.

I am graduating in December, one semester early, and am applying to all PsyD programs. I plan to get a job somehow clinically related with my BS in December (I'm trying to get a firm offer before apps are due so I can use it as clinical experience)

GPA: Cumulative is a 3.45, although I am at a highly science-based school, so I feel some of that is not reflective of psychology-relevant knowledge. (Most graduates of my school require at least 5 years to graduate.) My major GPA is a 4.0.

GRE: I'm taking the subject Oct. 9, and the General Oct. 23. Going off of practice exams, I'm expecting around a 680 on the Subject and a 1200ish on the General.

Research Experience: I was an RA in a social health lab for a year. In coordination with this, I completed a data analysis, etc with the professor and presented a poster, winning 1st place at my University. After that, I helped to develop a project; I personally applied for funding and then ran subjects. I analyzed the data, and presented my findings at an exhibition at my state's capitol.

Clinical Experience: None, and that's why I'm worried. I'm planning on securing a position for the 8 months between graduation and the start of a program, but I don't know how much that will help.

LOR: Five strong letters, three from psych faculty, from three different schools (I worked with them before they moved elsewhere). Most places require only 3, but I didn't think it would hurt if I could come up with more legitimately strong letters.

I am currently applying to:

Spalding University (safety)
Florida Institute of Technology (safety)
The Chicago School of PP (target)
The Adler School (target)
The Indiana University of Pennsylvania (target)
Baylor University (reach)

I realize Baylor's a big reach, but the prof I did research with is there and writing one of my letters, so I thought I might have a shot.

THANKS in advance for any advice. I really appreciate it!!

ChildPsyc

I am graduating in December, one semester early,
Clinical Experience: None, and that's why I'm worried. I'm planning on securing a position for the 8 months between graduation and the start of a program, but I don't know how much that will help.

I am currently applying to:

Spalding University (safety)
Florida Institute of Technology (safety)
The Chicago School of PP (target)
The Adler School (target)
The Indiana University of Pennsylvania (target)
Baylor University (reach)

I realize Baylor's a big reach, but the prof I did research with is there and writing one of my letters, so I thought I might have a shot.

ChildPsyc

Personally, I would set my sights a little higher, maybe add some funded Clinical Ph.D. and Counseling Ph.D. programs into the mix. I think Baylor is less of a reach than you might think. If you get 680 subject and 1250+, I think you'll score an interview.

I think I would drop Adler to a safety school (68% APPIC Match). All the schools have reasonable 75%ish match rates (except Baylor 90%). I think that you might add some schools with higher than 80% APPIC match rates.

Good luck!

Mark

Hi all,
I too would like to get an idea of where I stand. Here are my stats:

Undergrad GPA: 3.595 (low, I know, but coming from a top school), Psych GPA: 3.7

GRE: V=690, Q=730, Writing=5

Research experience: Two years as an RA in undergrad, Honors Thesis that I am currently rewriting with the hopes of getting it published, 1 Poster from the thesis. Currently working full-time as an RA in psychiatry at a very reputable institution.

Clinical experience: Just clinical research as a part of current job working in psychiatry--so not pure clinical experience, but experience working with a clinical population in research.

I know my GPA is a little low, and I do not have any publications, which puts me at a disadvantage. I want to apply to top programs, but do I have a chance? Below are the schools I am considering:

Temple
Rutgers
Loyola Chicago
Depaul
George Mason University
George Washington University
Fordham
St. Johns

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Hi all,

I know my GPA is a little low, and I do not have any publications, which puts me at a disadvantage. I want to apply to top programs, but do I have a chance? Below are the schools I am considering:

Temple
Rutgers
Loyola Chicago
Depaul
George Mason University
George Washington University
Fordham
St. Johns

You all need to start recalibrating yourselves. Seriously, you want to know if you have a chance with a 3.6 GPA and a 1420 GRE with research experience and some clinical experience?

I'm sorry but forgive me, sarcasm is my first language! No, you won't make it... you don't have enough self-esteem, otherwise everything else looks peachy! Your GRE Verbal is probably in the near 96th percentile and your quant score is near the 80th percentile... meaning that if you put 100 people in a room who are ALL going to apply to graduate school, all have completed a bachelors degree, and most of which are NOT going into a psychology Ph.D. program verbally you've outscored 96 of them, including the English majors, and mathematically you've done better than 80 of the people including the engineering, math, and science majors.

I don't mean to take this out on just psychapp2010, but there are some really inane questions. You all freak out as you see each other post incredible stats, and it's no surprise, because the people who are really serious about this process inevitably end up here looking for an edge. Fact is that most of you are already well ahead of many of your peers who have no clue how the process works.

Mark

I posted before but no one responded :( I am wondering how competitive I'd be for clinical PhD programs based on my stats:
Undergrad GPA: 3.41/3.56 psych from a very competitive school (my overall GPA was low due mostly to several semesters of chemistry and calculus, when I thought I wanted to do pre-med)
I am currently getting my MSW (I graduate in May), and my GPA is 3.81
GRE-V: 680, GRE-Q: 650, GRE-A: 5.5 (they are exactly the same scores as my SAT, but it was 4 years ago, so should I retake them?) GRE Psych: 770
Research experience: 2 years in undergrad, honors thesis which was presented at a national conference but not published :(
Clinical experience: Among a lot of volunteer hotline and other experiences, I am currently interning at an outpatient clinic. I'm doing a DBT internship, so I will have a good background in that and I'm interested in pursuing something related (I'm mainly interested in suicide research)
I know my undergrad research advisor would write me a great recommendation because we are still in contact, and I could get at least 1 strong recommendation from a professor in my master's program, and probably one from my clinical supervisor.
The thing is, I want to apply to programs that are a good fit for me; I definitely want to continue to persue my interest in DBT and I'm very cognitive-behavioral oriented, so I want a program to match that....ideally I would also like a program that has a researcher that specializes in suicide/self-harm, which would be places like Harvard, University of Illinois, University of Washington, etc., but I'm also looking at Boston University, American University and University of Illinois in Chicago....what are my chances like, at this point? I know my undergrad GPA is a little low, but I'm hoping my master's GPA will make up for that? And should I take the GRE again before applying? Please, if anyone has any thoughts, I would really really appreciate it. I don't want to waste my time and money applying if I have no chance...
Thanks in advance!

I posted before but no one responded :( I am wondering how competitive I'd be for clinical PhD programs based on my stats:
Undergrad GPA: 3.41/3.56 psych from a very competitive school (my overall GPA was low due mostly to several semesters of chemistry and calculus, when I thought I wanted to do pre-med)
I am currently getting my MSW (I graduate in May), and my GPA is 3.81
GRE-V: 680, GRE-Q: 650, GRE-A: 5.5 (they are exactly the same scores as my SAT, but it was 4 years ago, so should I retake them?) GRE Psych: 770
Research experience: 2 years in undergrad, honors thesis which was presented at a national conference but not published :(
Clinical experience: Among a lot of volunteer hotline and other experiences, I am currently interning at an outpatient clinic. I'm doing a DBT internship, so I will have a good background in that and I'm interested in pursuing something related (I'm mainly interested in suicide research)
I know my undergrad research advisor would write me a great recommendation because we are still in contact, and I could get at least 1 strong recommendation from a professor in my master's program, and probably one from my clinical supervisor.
The thing is, I want to apply to programs that are a good fit for me; I definitely want to continue to persue my interest in DBT and I'm very cognitive-behavioral oriented, so I want a program to match that....ideally I would also like a program that has a researcher that specializes in suicide/self-harm, which would be places like Harvard, University of Illinois, University of Washington, etc., but I'm also looking at Boston University, American University and University of Illinois in Chicago....what are my chances like, at this point? I know my undergrad GPA is a little low, but I'm hoping my master's GPA will make up for that? And should I take the GRE again before applying? Please, if anyone has any thoughts, I would really really appreciate it. I don't want to waste my time and money applying if I have no chance...
Thanks in advance!

Your app seems strong, and it's a matter of fit and honestly some degree of luck, especially when you're applying to the caliber of program you are. Your GPA is a bit low, but I wouldn't think it'd be low enough to screen you out. Your GRE is very solid, but could be a *little* low for some of the top places (you might want to retake if you feel you can increase your Q score a bit, but it probably isn't make or break). Also, have you done any research (including clinical research) while in your MSW program? If not, that might be a knock against you at some of the more research-oriented places on your list. (Harvard, U Washington, etc).

Other places you may want to consider:

West Virginia U (suicide researcher)
Eastern Michigan (adolescent self-injury researcher; personality researcher)
Montana (DBT researcher)

I think you'd be a strong candidate for many programs, provided good fit, but might want to get some additional research experience for the more tip top, ultra-research heavy schools. Just my two cents.

Your app seems strong, and it's a matter of fit and honestly some degree of luck, especially when you're applying to the caliber of program you are. Your GPA is a bit low, but I wouldn't think it'd be low enough to screen you out. Your GRE is very solid, but could be a *little* low for some of the top places (you might want to retake if you feel you can increase your Q score a bit, but it probably isn't make or break). Also, have you done any research (including clinical research) while in your MSW program? If not, that might be a knock against you at some of the more research-oriented places on your list. (Harvard, U Washington, etc).

Other places you may want to consider:

West Virginia U (suicide researcher)
Eastern Michigan (adolescent self-injury researcher; personality researcher)
Montana (DBT researcher)

I think you'd be a strong candidate for many programs, provided good fit, but might want to get some additional research experience for the more tip top, ultra-research heavy schools. Just my two cents.

There is a suicide researcher at WVU but she works with older adults primarily, but the program is particularly behavioral so you should get some good CBT training.

**** the verbal section of the gre :mad:

All those words i learned were for nothing. I am utterly stunned by my verbal score.. but then again what the hell can you do when you are **** out of luck and the 3,500 words you memorized only 3 show up..

660 math
480 verbal :cry:
1140 total GRE
3.94 gpa overall, 4.0 within psych
Did an honors thesis
RA for 2 years
Have a few conferences (first author), one paper submitted for publication (first author)
I will have great LOR

WMC phd clinical/counseling :(

Hey everyone, here's some stats:

UGPA: 3.584
Psych GPA: 3.515
Minor (Religious Studies) GPA: 3.668

Clinical Experience:
1 yr working as a Recreational Coordinator in a locked, high-risk facility for geriatric patients
6 months working as a Program Coordinator with children
Currently working as an intern for a clinical internship

Research Experience:
NONE
*here is the problem. I never focused on research experience because I want to work in clinical settings and teach at a college level.

GREs:
I'm scheduled to take these in two weeks, but I got a 670 V, 700 M on the SATs and feel very confident in my standardized test-taking skills.

Do I even have a shot at getting into a PhD program? If so, do you know of any that DON'T place a strong emphasis on research? I've resigned myself to going for my masters first, then applying to a PhD, but financially (I am completely self-supported and already have a lot out in loans to cover my undergraduate costs) it would be amazing to be funded through this process.

Thanks!

**** the verbal section of the gre :mad:

All those words i learned were for nothing. I am utterly stunned by my verbal score.. but then again what the hell can you do when you are **** out of luck and the 3,500 words you memorized only 3 show up..

660 math
480 verbal :cry:

You should be equally "stunned" by both scores.

A 660 Math is the 63rd percentile.
A 480 Verbal is the 55th percentile.

Overall, your average is the 59th percentile.

So of all the people testing to apply to go to graduate school, you're within 1 standard deviation of the mean of all people who take the GRE.

And you're stunned why? Because your verbal was only average? So was your math.

It's not about memorizing words, it is about how to approach the problems. Figure out what you did wrong, fix it, and try again! :) With some luck you might be able to get a better score. The GRE is a game and has little to do with reality other than you needing to best it to get what you want. Sometimes that takes a variety of approaches.

Good luck,

Mark

Hey everyone, here's some stats:

UGPA: 3.584
Psych GPA: 3.515
Minor (Religious Studies) GPA: 3.668

Clinical Experience:
1 yr working as a Recreational Coordinator in a locked, high-risk facility for geriatric patients
6 months working as a Program Coordinator with children
Currently working as an intern for a clinical internship

Research Experience:
NONE
*here is the problem. I never focused on research experience because I want to work in clinical settings and teach at a college level.

GREs:
I'm scheduled to take these in two weeks, but I got a 670 V, 700 M on the SATs and feel very confident in my standardized test-taking skills.

Do I even have a shot at getting into a PhD program? If so, do you know of any that DON'T place a strong emphasis on research? I've resigned myself to going for my masters first, then applying to a PhD, but financially (I am completely self-supported and already have a lot out in loans to cover my undergraduate costs) it would be amazing to be funded through this process.

Thanks!

Ask yourself these few questions:

1. Would I pick me over all the other students applying to this program?
A. Why?

2. Why should a research oriented program be interested in me?
A. What do I bring to the table that a researcher would find valuable?

3. Did I study enough (at all) for the GRE?
A. Is it worth believing that I am good at standardized testing and thus risking getting a bad GRE score?

Good luck, but my guess is that you are really not going to be competitive, but that would not stop me from applying.

Mark