This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Everyone!

OK. So I am looking for some objective feedback. I am about to paint a somewhat abysmal picture...so...get ready

I recently took the GRE as a bit of a practice run to get acclimated to the testing experience and determine my weaknesses. I scored over a 1200 on the two Princeton Review practice exams that I took prior to test day and was feeling pretty good. After receiving some advice from several graduate students, I decided that I would choose to accept my score, regardless of how I felt I did. After all, it would help me to be better prepared for what I considered to be my "real GRE" in a month. Unfortunately, I was not aware of two important facts...1-the first five questions (approx) on the GRE are by far the most important and 2-you ARE penalized for not answering questions at the end. Admittedly, these are things that I should have known but, as I said, did not. My fault entirely. Time management issues and anxiety played a massive role in this situation as well, both of which I am already working to improve.

As I am sure that you have guessed, I foolishly accepted my scores (even though I did not complete 10 of the verbal questions and 8 of the math questions) and did abysmally...we are talking in the 400's for each section. This is in no way a reflection of my actual abilities (even in terms of the GRE) and I am very confident that I will score between 1150 and 1300 on the exam I have coming up in the near future. Furthermore, to ensure this I have gotten a personal tudor for Math, several 1 on 1 sessions with a Kaplan employee, and will be dedicating around 4 hours a day for the next 25 days in preparation.

My main question is this...Can I overcome this horrible score? I am interested in applying to doctorate programs in Clinical Psychology this year and the rest of my application is quite strong. I have two years of solid research experience (in a salaried position) at a respected university, multiple posters/presentations and 1 publication (with multiple in the works), FANTASTIC letters of recommendation, and an undergraduate GPA from a respected university in the 3.7 range. As I mentioned before, I am hoping to tack on a 1200 GRE score to the end of this resume at the end of the month.

It is my understanding that schools primarily take the highest or most recent of an applicant's GRE scores so it could be a moot point (while I will still have to report both of them). Furthermore, I am hoping that the 300 to 400 point discrepency between the two scores, as well as the dramatic and almost laughable lowness of the first score will (if looked at) indicate that the first attempt was a fluke, and not an accurate representation of my abilities.

Any comments that can be made are tremendously appreciated! Thank you all so much and I apologize for the length of this post...I'm kind of freaking out :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone!

OK. So I am looking for some objective feedback. I am about to paint a somewhat abysmal picture...so...get ready

I recently took the GRE as a bit of a practice run to get acclimated to the testing experience and determine my weaknesses. I scored over a 1200 on the two Princeton Review practice exams that I took prior to test day and was feeling pretty good. After receiving some advice from several graduate students, I decided that I would choose to accept my score, regardless of how I felt I did. After all, it would help me to be better prepared for what I considered to be my "real GRE" in a month. Unfortunately, I was not aware of two important facts...1-the first five questions (approx) on the GRE are by far the most important and 2-you ARE penalized for not answering questions at the end. Admittedly, these are things that I should have known but, as I said, did not. My fault entirely. Time management issues and anxiety played a massive role in this situation as well, both of which I am already working to improve.

As I am sure that you have guessed, I foolishly accepted my scores (even though I did not complete 10 of the verbal questions and 8 of the math questions) and did abysmally...we are talking in the 400's for each section. This is in no way a reflection of my actual abilities (even in terms of the GRE) and I am very confident that I will score between 1150 and 1300 on the exam I have coming up in the near future. Furthermore, to ensure this I have gotten a personal tudor for Math, several 1 on 1 sessions with a Kaplan employee, and will be dedicating around 4 hours a day for the next 25 days in preparation.

My main question is this...Can I overcome this horrible score? I am interested in applying to doctorate programs in Clinical Psychology this year and the rest of my application is quite strong. I have two years of solid research experience (in a salaried position) at a respected university, multiple posters/presentations and 1 publication (with multiple in the works), FANTASTIC letters of recommendation, and an undergraduate GPA from a respected university in the 3.7 range. As I mentioned before, I am hoping to tack on a 1200 GRE score to the end of this resume at the end of the month.

It is my understanding that schools primarily take the highest or most recent of an applicant's GRE scores so it could be a moot point (while I will still have to report both of them). Furthermore, I am hoping that the 300 to 400 point discrepency between the two scores, as well as the dramatic and almost laughable lowness of the first score will (if looked at) indicate that the first attempt was a fluke, and not an accurate representation of my abilities.

Any comments that can be made are tremendously appreciated! Thank you all so much and I apologize for the length of this post...I'm kind of freaking out :(

If you retake the GRE's and get a 1200+ you should be fine :)

You should be equally "stunned" by both scores.

A 660 Math is the 63rd percentile.
A 480 Verbal is the 55th percentile.

Overall, your average is the 59th percentile.

So of all the people testing to apply to go to graduate school, you're within 1 standard deviation of the mean of all people who take the GRE.

And you're stunned why? Because your verbal was only average? So was your math.

It's not about memorizing words, it is about how to approach the problems. Figure out what you did wrong, fix it, and try again! :) With some luck you might be able to get a better score. The GRE is a game and has little to do with reality other than you needing to best it to get what you want. Sometimes that takes a variety of approaches.

Good luck,

Mark

I was stunned because on the math I was expecting about 660, but on verbal I was scoring in the mid 500's and for some reason I underperformed big time compared to Powerprep and all the other tests I took. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone!

MOD NOTE: I moved your thread because ALL inquiries about viability for doctoral programs belong in this thread. There is a stickied thread at the top of the forum with a lot of useful advice for doctoral applicants. -t4c

Hi hi,

So, I thought I would come back after last year and start a new thread for those interested in programs with forensic/law concentration/faculty/research since we seem to be the minority on here.

This is my 4th year applying (yes! 4th year). I spent a year in a PhD program and withdrew (long story which I will not go into). This is my last year applying. Would love hear from others who are also applying to such programs.

Here's some of my info:
BA Psychology, Minor Criminal Justice 3.3 GPA (guess taking 24 units your last semester is not such a great idea)
MA in Forensic Psychology 3.8
Forensic Mental Health Counseling -current grad student 4.0

4 publications (3 first author)
3 publications in progress (first author)
12 paper & poster presentations (domestic and international)
10 RA positions (2 Project Manager on NIJ studies) 7 years of experience
GRE: 1010

Applying to: Mostly clinical psych PhD
John Jay College of Criminal Justice
U of Vermont
U of Virginia-Curry
U of Illinois-Chicago
U of North Texas
U of Nebraska
Texas Tech (Counseling)
U of Houston
U of Arizona
UC-Irvine (research)
U of Mass-Boston
La Salle (PsyD)
LIU-CW Post (PsyD)

I'm interested in people's thoughts on both PsyD programs?

Thanks! And what are my chances?
Good luck!

Thank you very much for getting this inquiry to where it needs to go. I will make sure to use the advanced search settings suggested when posting my next thread.

Naturally, I have to at least ask...I'm sure you are busy, but do you (Therapist4Chnge) have any thoughts regarding the actual contents presented and questions posed in my thread? Any feedback really is immensely helpful, as it will either calm my nerves or put some fire beneath me. Either way, it helps. Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to any response!

Hi hi,

So, I thought I would come back after last year and start a new thread for those interested in programs with forensic/law concentration/faculty/research since we seem to be the minority on here.

MOD NOTE: I moved your thread because ALL inquiries about viability for doctoral programs belong in this thread. There is a stickied thread at the top of the forum with a lot of useful advice for doctoral applicants. -t4c

Hi hi,

This is my 4th year applying (yes! 4th year). I spent a year in a PhD program and withdrew (long story which I will not go into). This is my last year applying. Would love hear from others who are also applying to such programs.

Here's some of my info:
BA Psychology, Minor Criminal Justice 3.3 GPA (guess taking 24 units your last semester is not such a great idea)
MA in Forensic Psychology 3.8
Forensic Mental Health Counseling -current grad student 4.0

4 publications (3 first author)
3 publications in progress (first author)
12 paper & poster presentations (domestic and international)
10 RA positions (2 Project Manager on NIJ studies) 7 years of experience
GRE: 1010

Applying to: Mostly clinical psych PhD
John Jay College of Criminal Justice
U of Vermont
U of Virginia-Curry
U of Illinois-Chicago
U of North Texas
U of Nebraska
Texas Tech (Counseling)
U of Houston
U of Arizona
UC-Irvine (research)
U of Mass-Boston
La Salle (PsyD)
LIU-CW Post (PsyD)

I'm interested in people's thoughts on both PsyD programs?

Thanks! And what are my chances?
Good luck!

I just wanted to add that U of Alabama-Tuscaloosa has a psychology and law concentration within their clinical program. You might want to look a their faculty.

I posted before but no one responded :( I am wondering how competitive I'd be for clinical PhD programs based on my stats:
Undergrad GPA: 3.41/3.56 psych from a very competitive school (my overall GPA was low due mostly to several semesters of chemistry and calculus, when I thought I wanted to do pre-med)
I am currently getting my MSW (I graduate in May), and my GPA is 3.81
GRE-V: 680, GRE-Q: 650, GRE-A: 5.5 (they are exactly the same scores as my SAT, but it was 4 years ago, so should I retake them?) GRE Psych: 770
Research experience: 2 years in undergrad, honors thesis which was presented at a national conference but not published :(
Clinical experience: Among a lot of volunteer hotline and other experiences, I am currently interning at an outpatient clinic. I'm doing a DBT internship, so I will have a good background in that and I'm interested in pursuing something related (I'm mainly interested in suicide research)
I know my undergrad research advisor would write me a great recommendation because we are still in contact, and I could get at least 1 strong recommendation from a professor in my master's program, and probably one from my clinical supervisor.
The thing is, I want to apply to programs that are a good fit for me; I definitely want to continue to persue my interest in DBT and I'm very cognitive-behavioral oriented, so I want a program to match that....ideally I would also like a program that has a researcher that specializes in suicide/self-harm, which would be places like Harvard, University of Illinois, University of Washington, etc., but I'm also looking at Boston University, American University and University of Illinois in Chicago....what are my chances like, at this point? I know my undergrad GPA is a little low, but I'm hoping my master's GPA will make up for that? And should I take the GRE again before applying? Please, if anyone has any thoughts, I would really really appreciate it. I don't want to waste my time and money applying if I have no chance...
Thanks in advance!

You could also consider:
Florida State
Oklahoma State
Simon Fraser
University of British Columbia
University of Georgia
University of Kentucky
University of Missouri

I graduated with my B.A. in psychology in December 2009 from a top public research university, but I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do for a career while I was in undergrad or even if I wanted to go to grad school. Only in the past few months have I really started to narrow down my interests into a potential career path and I'm hoping to get some input on how to make that path happen. I'm interested in applying to school psychology programs (not sure yet whether I want to do a Ph.D. or Ed.S., but I'm leaning towards the latter for now).

GPA: 3.98 - Dean's list every semster, 4.0 most semesters

GRE: 720 Q, 640 V, 4.5 AW (didn't take subject test)

Research experience: I was a RA for 2 semesters in a lab that studied the effects of environment and stress on learning. In that lab my duties were pretty basic: running participants, creating spreadsheets for our data, and conducting lit searches. No posters or publications.

Clinical experience: None - I know I've got to work on this.

LORs: I'm sure I can get them but I'm not sure how strong they'll be. I went to a large state school and almost all of my classes had anywhere from 100 to 400 students, so I don't know how much any my professors would have to say about me. The obvious person to ask would be the professor for the lab I was a RA in, but she just happened to be on maternity leave while I was there. She only stopped in at the lab to check on things once every 1-2 weeks and never stayed long, so we never really got to know each other well. I kinda got the impression that the lab manager was the one who really wrote LORs and the professor just signed off on them, but the lab manager for my lab was a grad student herself and seemed quite disorganized most of the time, so I'm not sure what kind of letter I'd get from her. We were only in the lab together one day a week and we were usually in different rooms, so I don't know how much she actually observed me working. I did take one graduate class during undergrad that was smaller and I think that professor would write me a letter. Hopefully I'll get some clinical experience soon and I can ask a supervisor for a letter.

I'm happy with my grades and my GRE scores, but I know my lack of clinical experience and less than stellar research experience won't look great on an application. And honestly the fact that I've only really been looking into grad schools for a couple of months has me doubting myself and worrying that I'm rushing the decision. I'm thinking my best bet is to wait until next year to apply and spend the year building up my experience, getting stronger LORs, and maybe taking some extra classes (some of the programs I'm considering have prerequisite courses I haven't taken yet - and maybe I can get one or two of those professors to write me letters). Would it be better for me to wait until next year to apply? If so, can anybody tell me what specific steps I should be taking to make my application stronger? (Do I need more research experience even if I apply for Ed.S. programs instead of going for a Ph.D.? Any suggestions for where I should try to get clinical experience?) For anyone who reads this and offers any insight, thanks in advance.

As an FYI for some people....sometimes when the majority of a student's interactions are with the research coordinator, they will provide the PI their feedback and that is where most of the information for your LOR comes from.

I just wanted to add that U of Alabama-Tuscaloosa has a psychology and law concentration within their clinical program. You might want to look a their faculty.

Thank you! Yes, I have considered that program in the past, but I have to be honest with myself knowing that I could never live in Alabama! Texas and Nebraska are tough enough to visualize.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! Yes, I have considered that program in the past, but I have to be honest with myself knowing that I could never live in Alabama! Texas and Nebraska are tough enough to visualize.

Oh and I wanted to mention WVU. Although it does not have a concentration per se, there is a faculty member (Dr. Bill Fremouw) who does forensic research within the clinical program.

Your app seems strong, and it's a matter of fit and honestly some degree of luck, especially when you're applying to the caliber of program you are. Your GPA is a bit low, but I wouldn't think it'd be low enough to screen you out. Your GRE is very solid, but could be a *little* low for some of the top places (you might want to retake if you feel you can increase your Q score a bit, but it probably isn't make or break). Also, have you done any research (including clinical research) while in your MSW program? If not, that might be a knock against you at some of the more research-oriented places on your list. (Harvard, U Washington, etc).

Other places you may want to consider:

West Virginia U (suicide researcher)
Eastern Michigan (adolescent self-injury researcher; personality researcher)
Montana (DBT researcher)

I think you'd be a strong candidate for many programs, provided good fit, but might want to get some additional research experience for the more tip top, ultra-research heavy schools. Just my two cents.

Good luck! :luck:

Thank you so much for your two cents! I know my application could be a little stronger, especially because I always kind of shoot high as far as schools go :p I haven't done any research since undergrad, unfortunately, just because I don't have the time for it right now (I looked into volunteering with a lab a few months ago but the hours were completely impossible with my school/internship schedule :( ) And thank you for suggesting other schools that I didn't think about....I will definitely be looking into them, especially if they're more realistic/likely options!

You could also consider:
Florida State
Oklahoma State
Simon Fraser
University of British Columbia
University of Georgia
University of Kentucky
University of Missouri

Thank you! I feel better now that I have a direction to look in because otherwise I had no clue how to go about finding appropriate programs ;) I'll look into these too. Thanks to you guys for giving me feedback and direction!

Oh and I wanted to mention WVU. Although it does not have a concentration per se, there is a faculty member (Dr. Bill Fremouw) who does forensic research within the clinical program.

Thanks! You seem to be the only one replying to my post! Thank you! I did look into that program, but I'm not really interested in PTSD and malingering, which is what a lot of his current research entails. Plus, I'm only applying ot programs that have at least two faculty in which I'm interested in working with. Thank you though!

Hey all,

I was wondering what y'all think are my chances for a clinical program.

I have a 3.96 GPA, 4.0 psychology GPA. (top 2 percent of the school). I've been a part of three research positions, all of which the leaders of which are willing to write me strong letters of recommendation. One of them specifically has been involved in visual working memory with schizophrenics (unfortunately, I don't get to interact with them :().

I failed the GRE the first time taking it, and should be scoring 1250-1300 when I retake it this Saturday.

I don't have clinical experience, since my school doesn't have a clinical program, and I also have not taken the subject test.

I'm also working on an honors thesis (unfortunately, started it before I found out I wanted to do a neuropsych program).

Also, if you guys could provide a list of the best schools to apply to, I'd appreciate it!

-JEJ

Hey all,

I was wondering what y'all think are my chances for a clinical program.

I have a 3.96 GPA, 4.0 psychology GPA. (top 2 percent of the school). I've been a part of three research positions, all of which the leaders of which are willing to write me strong letters of recommendation. One of them specifically has been involved in visual working memory with schizophrenics (unfortunately, I don't get to interact with them :().

I failed the GRE the first time taking it, and should be scoring 1250-1300 when I retake it this Saturday.

I don't have clinical experience, since my school doesn't have a clinical program, and I also have not taken the subject test.

I'm also working on an honors thesis (unfortunately, started it before I found out I wanted to do a neuropsych program).

Also, if you guys could provide a list of the best schools to apply to, I'd appreciate it!

-JEJ

In regards to finding you a list of programs, that's the leg work that you need to do on your own. Your post is very vague...you say clinical program. PhD? PsyD? MA? What are your interests? What you need to do is look for programs that have professors who do work that interests you. These would be potential matches for you. Are you interested in research, or clinical work? What are your future career goals? These are the kinds of questions that you need to ask yourself.

Ok, I read through the NRC list. I'd either like to stay in NY (Hunter, Queens, other inexpensive schools) or go to Cali. The Cali schools in the list included Stanford, UCLA, Berkeley, San Diego, Irvine, SoCal, Davis, Santa Barbra, Santa Cruz, Riverside....

Double major, psych and bio (double minor chem and music)
GPA: 4.0 (but small liberal arts)
GRE: 710V, 700 Q
Two theses. Bio on brain cancer with lab. Psych on personality, write up but couldn't finish the data collection before graduating. Lots of tutoring experience in both fields. TA in bio. Computer lab manager. Can get at least one great rec (if professor is still alive - he hasn't returned my emails). About a year of volunteering as a phone counselor.

So? I'm really not sure what I'm up against. My two concerns were the small stature of the undergrad I attended, and not having completed the psych research.

Thanks

I like neuropsych, psychedelics, addiction....

First Post.

I feel so vulnerable putting myself out here, but I need all the input I can get, so here goes.

This is my profile in a nutshell:

I graduated with a cumulative 3.4 undergrad GPA, majoring in psychology in 2005 at a private liberal art school.

I recently (this past July 2010) received an MA in Clinical Psychology, emphasis on MFT from another private liberal art school with a cumulative 3.98 GPA.

Halfway through the MFT program, I realized I had more questions than answers after I began seeing patients. I was also asking a lot of questions my peers in the program were not asking. I soon realized I was a black sheep in this clinical program and perhaps research and academia was more for me than clinical work. Either way, I finished the program because I refused to be a quitter.

I recently took the general GRE and did not score that well on it. In fact, my score was 1160.

I have about 1.5 years of research experience. I helped a PsyD student (who is currently doing his internship at NYU) write his dissertation. It was a grounded-theory qualitative study that he is submitting for publication (still waiting to hear back whether it will be published or not). We also presented a poster at the recent APA convention in San Diego. I am starting to help another doctoral candidate student this fall with her qualitative research dissertation.

OVERALL CAREER OBJECTIVE: Academician with clinical work on the side.

Schools I'm considering:

Ph.D. Clinical-
Fuller
Rosemead (Biola University)
USC
SDSU/UCSD
UCLA (probably the highest of my aim)

Ph.D. Counseling-
NYU
Teacher's College (Columbia)

Here is my question:

Should I wait another year to apply to clinical psych programs, so I can improve my scores? (since deadlines for most are in 2 months and I am likely going to have to take the GRE again along with taking the GRE subject). Or should I try applying this year with what I have?

Also, with the extra year I could gain additional research experience. It would be nice to add some quantitative studies as both of the studies I've been involved with are qualitative.

If I apply this year, it is likely, I won't be able to take the GRE subject in time for deadline (and have adequate time to study for it), so I would have to apply to the programs that don't require it. I am looking at 4 programs that don't require the subject test.

What should I do? Please advise! I would greatly appreciate your (honest AND kind) feedback.

(To be frank, after reading different posts, I am quite intimidated by the other candidates on here.)

First Post.

I feel so vulnerable putting myself out here, but I need all the input I can get, so here goes.

This is my profile in a nutshell:

I graduated with a cumulative 3.4 undergrad GPA, majoring in psychology in 2005 at a private liberal art school.

I recently (this past July 2010) received an MA in Clinical Psychology, emphasis on MFT from another private liberal art school with a cumulative 3.98 GPA.

Halfway through the MFT program, I realized I had more questions than answers after I began seeing patients. I was also asking a lot of questions my peers in the program were not asking. I soon realized I was a black sheep in this clinical program and perhaps research and academia was more for me than clinical work. Either way, I finished the program because I refused to be a quitter.

I recently took the general GRE and did not score that well on it. In fact, my score was 1160.

I have about 1.5 years of research experience. I helped a PsyD student (who is currently doing his internship at NYU) write his dissertation. It was a grounded-theory qualitative study that he is submitting for publication (still waiting to hear back whether it will be published or not). We also presented a poster at the recent APA convention in San Diego. I am starting to help another doctoral candidate student this fall with her qualitative research dissertation.

OVERALL CAREER OBJECTIVE: Academician with clinical work on the side.

Schools I'm considering:

Ph.D. Clinical-
Fuller
Rosemead (Biola University)
USC
SDSU/UCSD
UCLA (probably the highest of my aim)

Ph.D. Counseling-
NYU
Teacher's College (Columbia)

Here is my question:

Should I wait another year to apply to clinical psych programs, so I can improve my scores? (since deadlines for most are in 2 months and I am likely going to have to take the GRE again along with taking the GRE subject). Or should I try applying this year with what I have?

Also, with the extra year I could gain additional research experience. It would be nice to add some quantitative studies as both of the studies I've been involved with are qualitative.

If I apply this year, it is likely, I won't be able to take the GRE subject in time for deadline (and have adequate time to study for it), so I would have to apply to the programs that don't require it. I am looking at 4 programs that don't require the subject test.

What should I do? Please advise! I would greatly appreciate your (honest AND kind) feedback.

(To be frank, after reading different posts, I am quite intimidated by the other candidates on here.)

Your numbers aren't terrible. Many applicants get accepted who look like you on paper. NOW, what else can you bring to the table? What have you learned from your research? What kind of research do you want to focus on? If you can figure that out, then go for it. Waiting a year is good if it's to figure this stuff out.

Have you considered PsyD? You can go into academia with a PsyD. Unless you had your heart set on being a hardcore researcher, then I'd take a look at some of the good programs out there.

I was wondering what i could do to better my chances into Clinical Phd programs??

1. Psychology BA from Touro College with a GPA of 3.7
2. GRE score of 1400
3. Psychology GRE of 700
4. Clinical experience working with teens at risk

Q#1: are there any specific types of research i should get ???
Q#2: how long do I need to do research for ???
Q#3: does it really make a difference that I went to Touro College ???

THANKS FOR THE HELP !!! :eek:

I am interested in pursuing a clinical-community psychology Ph D degree. I am an older student (early forties). I am familiar with quantitative and qualitative research and program evaluations. However, I have no experience in psychological-type research such as cognition, learning, vision, neuro, etc. I am preparing to take the general and psychology GRE tests.

I have experience working in quality improvement for a mental health agency for many years. I have worked as a social worker for Child Protective Services. I am currently employed as a prevention social worker based at a school site, delivering prevention services, such as group and individual counseling, to students. I also deliver prevention services to seniors living in a rural area. I am very much interested in the prevention side of psychology and social work.

Bachelor of Arts in International Relations/Sociology GPA: 3.5
Master of Public Administration GPA: 3.8
Master of Social Work GPA: 3.9

I am in the process of shoring up my psychology background by taking online psychology classes through a local community college. I have asked around, but there does not seem to be any psychology research going on at our local colleges that I could volunteer with. I am aiming to apply to funded and APA-accredited programs. I know that clinical-community psychology programs are newer and very competitive.

Thank you.

You look like you'll be good based on research experience but make sure to target appropriate schools and really put together a strong case why you match with them. Definately push those opportunities where your experience+interests matches up with a professor's research interests. Make sure to contact profs before applying. I advise you to also contact program directors and very briefly summarize your stats, asking if your 2.8 will disqualify you. This has the dual effect of getting your name in the director's head (giving you a better chance that s/he'll look at your app), and learning if there are any programs you can automatically eliminate. I have a low UG gpa and had to work at it to get in, but it worked out. Feel free to PM me with any questions. :luck:

J9

Hi Everyone,

Any help is very much appreciated, my Axis IV is a little crazy right now and is not helping with application anxiety (but still, give it to me straight).

Undergrad GPA: 2.8

Graduate (MA, well-known private school) GPA: 3.86

GRE: 1180 (retaking next week); scoring higher on practice tests; writing 5

Research: 4 years (five labs [one at Ivy League school], one poster (honorable mention), two publications in process, one first authorship)

Clinical experience: several months working for psychiatrist (expert witness), one year case management, currently conducting my research at Mount Sinai Medical Center

Teaching: TA for undergraduate and graduate-level Research Methods (paid)

Associations: Chair-Elect of the Student Section of my APA Division of interest; current Psi Chi president and Secretary of Graduate Psychology Association, on student planning committee for my state's psychology association.

LOR: strong.

Research matches: 1/3 amazing, 1/3 do-able, 1/3 starting to get desperate.

I am applying to 15 schools...about two or three are for safety. What should I do? I don't know if I would want to go 5-7 years conducting research that isn't a great match.

Here's my 0.02

With such a unique background you have to e-mail program directors and ask them what they think about the possibility of joining their program. You should briefly summarize your background and provide very brief answers to two questions a) why do you want a phd? and b) why do you think their program is a good place for you to study.

I think Fielding Graduate Institute is appropriate for professionals such as yourself. Check them out.

Best of luck,
J9

I am interested in pursuing a clinical-community psychology Ph D degree. I am an older student (early forties). I am familiar with quantitative and qualitative research and program evaluations. However, I have no experience in psychological-type research such as cognition, learning, vision, neuro, etc. I am preparing to take the general and psychology GRE tests.

I have experience working in quality improvement for a mental health agency for many years. I have worked as a social worker for Child Protective Services. I am currently employed as a prevention social worker based at a school site, delivering prevention services, such as group and individual counseling, to students. I also deliver prevention services to seniors living in a rural area. I am very much interested in the prevention side of psychology and social work.

Bachelor of Arts in International Relations/Sociology GPA: 3.5
Master of Public Administration GPA: 3.8
Master of Social Work GPA: 3.9

I am in the process of shoring up my psychology background by taking online psychology classes through a local community college. I have asked around, but there does not seem to be any psychology research going on at our local colleges that I could volunteer with. I am aiming to apply to funded and APA-accredited programs. I know that clinical-community psychology programs are newer and very competitive.

Thank you.

Howdy! I've posted here before, but with a little more info I thought I might give it another shot.

Coursework: B.A. in English and an M.S. in Child Development. My undergrad GPA is around a 3.3 (last ~70 hours are around 3.65, possible because I have 175 undergrad hours...don't ask :p). Psych courses are around a 3.7. My M.S. GPA was a 3.85 (not in Psych, per se, but very psych related, and the DCT of the Psych program at the university was on my thesis committee). Also have taken several graduate level psych courses (Child Psychopathology, Ped Psych, Clinical Interventions 1 and 2, among others). Made A's in all of them.

Research: First-authorship in a peer-reviewed journal, as well as 2 in-press (and most likely 2 or 3 more, by the time I apply next fall) second or third-authorship articles from my position as an RA in the ped psych lab, which makes 5 or 6 total. 1 poster presentation during undergrad research week, and a poster presentation at regional child clinical psych conference next spring. Finally, I am also the lab manager / head RA for the child clinical psych lab on campus (2 years).

So, my question is two-fold: Will my low undergrad GPA mean that I need to go for a Master's in Psychology, before I try for a Ph.D., or should I go for broke? I do have a bit of research experience, and great letters from my graduate advisor from my Child Development M.S., the DCT from my thesis committe (who's also the head of my research lab), and the profs who taught my grad clinical interventions courses. My other question is this: I'm in the peds lab because it's where my background led me, and I know the director. There is NO ONE in our dept. who does the research I want to work in ultimately (namely, the comorbidity between anxiety and mood disorders). Will that hinder me when I look to apply with POI's who are in a radically different area? I'm basically saying "well, I didn't have any opportunity to work in this specific area, so I worked where I could". Should I attempt to find a position somewhere more related, even if that means moving out of state, etc.?

I'm already 28, and will be 29 when I apply for a Ph.D., assuming I do it next fall. I've been in college without a single break since I was 19. I'm happy to do a M.A. in Psych if it's needed to get me into a Ph.D. program, but I'd rather not add on another 2 or 3 years. As it stands, I'll already be 35 without the M.A. (yeah, that's 16 years straight post-HS, for those counting out there...)

Sorry for the length of this post - any help would be appreciated!

I need some advice please. Sorry for the wall of text.

So i'm 26 now, 27 is right in the rear-view mirror speeding up quickly. The past year or so I've been attending college; never could make up mind what i wanted to do. I'm currently at a tech school and decided a 2 year degree isn't going to get me much. I've taken a psych class and i liked the class a good bit. But, after doing some research and a 4 year degree wont get me much as far as the psych industry, you need a Ph.D or Psy.D. Which from my research is going to take 8-10 years. Here is my issue: If i work hard enough to get a 3.5'ish + GPA with my 4 year degree, I'll be shooting for 3.9 actually, what is the likelihood of getting the HPSP for the US Army? I'm fairly certain that if i don't get the HPSP i wont be able to get a fellowship or assistantship. So what other ways of financing grad school are there? Besides a student loan, because i don't want to be in debt for the rest of my life. Another issue is how time consuming is grad school? Specifically, if i have the HPSP and the Army pays for everything and i don't have to work a full time job, whats the likelihood of being able to date? Cause the thought of being 37 years old after getting my Ph.D or Psy.D and being single is kinda scary because not many woman want to marry a guy that old. I'm really good with computers and thought about a 4 year degree in Computer Science but computers is a hobby for me, the thought of being stuck behind a desk 8+ hours a day coding just puts me to sleep thinking about it. I thought about the game industry but its extremely competitive. Then i thought about the internet security guys, but that leads to the grad school issue again.

I have a year, give or take, to figure out what i want while i finish up some core classes at my tech school. I plan on taking some more psych classes to assure i would like doing it. I just need some advice to point me in the right direction. I'm not asking for people to tell me what to do, just give me their thoughts on the situation. I have no doubt I can find a job with a Ph.D in psychology but what if 10 years from now there's not as much demand for psychologists in the government? I'd be stuck with a $150k bill that's going to take my entire life to pay back. Maybe im not understanding how grad school fully works or something. Maybe someone can enlighten me. Thanks in advance.

zedd2006, I moved your thread because all talk of competitiveness for graduate programs belongs in this thread. As for your other questions, please feel free to do a search within the clinical forum, as much/all of that information can be found.

in a Masters program (school has a PsyD program that is accredited...)

Academic
Masters GPA: 3.7
Undergrad GPA: 3.54
(Major in Psych and History)

Clinical Experience...
- Undergrad internship at inpatient children's psych unit
- Undergrad internship at children's services center
- Graduate practicum at family medicine clinic doing outpatient therapy/medical consults
- Work at an inpatient adult psych unit (eating disorder / mood disorder)
- Worked in health center at graduate school

Interests...
Health psychology...chronic pain, etc. / trauma

Research
Currently working on project studying medication compliance in ADHD children w/ a family medicine M.D.

- I am applying to..
Regent, Pacific, Denver, Argosy-DC, La Salle, Wright State, Spalding, Uni of Indy

Help...
What are my chances, in all others opinions (and honesty!) about my background and app to PsyD programs?

Hi all,

I feel okay about most of my application, but my undergraduate grades (which are over 10 years old) were bad. They were pretty good in psychology, but bad overall. Can anyone tell me if I'm doomed?

My stats:

GRE V: 710
GRE Q: 690
GRE Analytical Writing: 5.5
GRE Psychology Suject: 770

M.S. Clinical Psychology, GPA: 3.77
B.A. Psychology, GPA: 2.9 (ugh. how I'd love to be 18 again and do this over)

Research Experience: Several publications, presentations. 2 years full-time research assistant at Ivy League university. Decent amount of research during grad school (a few posters, presentations) but no thesis. Several presentations since grad school, one APA book chapter.

Clinical Experience: 2 years practicum experience during grad school, outpatient psychotherapy, intellectual/personality assessment. Full-time clinical supervisor in foster care for over a year (conducted psychotherapy under supervision of licensed psychologist).

LOR: 5 total. These should be solid. One big name who is current research supervisor. Others are professors and clinical supervisors from past. Two from supervisors in foster care. Will be positive.

I'm applying to mostly Ph.D. programs (a LOT of them). I prefer a balance between clinical and research, but am applying to a couple more research-focused (read: stretches) and some Psy.Ds as well. I'm only applying to places where I have a strong match research-wise.

So thoughts? I'm so afraid that I won't even make it past initial cuts due to the low undergrad GPA. If anyone has any advice I'm all ears!

First post!

so heres my story so far... just finished GREs 670 and 670 (weird huh?) i have the psych GREs in a month. my GPA is a 3.76 i have some research experience and am currently working on a paper for publication with another student and a few professors but im afraid it wont be available until long after apps are due (is there still a good way to mention that in my app?).

I'm looking for advice on which programs to apply too, I'm having an impossible time making up my mind, I'm leaning toward PhDs that have both academic and practical aspects to them (boulder model), but havent ruled out Neuropsych or just plain research programs. I'd love to stay in New York area, CUNY would be great as i hear theres more stipend to offset the cost of these programs.

Also what would be some next steps to proactively be pursuing getting in? I feel like time is starting to run out...

Thanks!!

First post!

so heres my story so far... just finished GREs 670 and 670 (weird huh?) i have the psych GREs in a month. my GPA is a 3.76 i have some research experience and am currently working on a paper for publication with another student and a few professors but im afraid it wont be available until long after apps are due (is there still a good way to mention that in my app?).

I'm looking for advice on which programs to apply too, I'm having an impossible time making up my mind, I'm leaning toward PhDs that have both academic and practical aspects to them (boulder model), but havent ruled out Neuropsych or just plain research programs. I'd love to stay in New York area, CUNY would be great as i hear theres more stipend to offset the cost of these programs.

Also what would be some next steps to proactively be pursuing getting in? I feel like time is starting to run out...

Thanks!!

First, Congratulations. Great Scores and a Solid GPA. You'll likely make it past the first cut at most schools. Now it's time to focus on fit, you need to figure out who you would like to work with. You are behind the 8 ball a little bit unless you have already identified your reference writers, because they should already know what programs they are writing letters in support of your application.

Get cracking... :) Location and reputation of the program will certainly be important to you, but most important is finding programs that you fit with.

Mark

Hi all,

I feel okay about most of my application, but my undergraduate grades (which are over 10 years old) were bad. They were pretty good in psychology, but bad overall. Can anyone tell me if I'm doomed?

My stats:

GRE V: 710
GRE Q: 690
GRE Analytical Writing: 5.5
GRE Psychology Suject: 770

M.S. Clinical Psychology, GPA: 3.77
B.A. Psychology, GPA: 2.9 (ugh. how I'd love to be 18 again and do this over)

Research Experience: Several publications, presentations. 2 years full-time research assistant at Ivy League university. Decent amount of research during grad school (a few posters, presentations) but no thesis. Several presentations since grad school, one APA book chapter.

Clinical Experience: 2 years practicum experience during grad school, outpatient psychotherapy, intellectual/personality assessment. Full-time clinical supervisor in foster care for over a year (conducted psychotherapy under supervision of licensed psychologist).

LOR: 5 total. These should be solid. One big name who is current research supervisor. Others are professors and clinical supervisors from past. Two from supervisors in foster care. Will be positive.

I'm applying to mostly Ph.D. programs (a LOT of them). I prefer a balance between clinical and research, but am applying to a couple more research-focused (read: stretches) and some Psy.Ds as well. I'm only applying to places where I have a strong match research-wise.

So thoughts? I'm so afraid that I won't even make it past initial cuts due to the low undergrad GPA. If anyone has any advice I'm all ears!

Use 1 line in your SOP to address your misspent youth, allow your letter writers to drone on how that doesn't really portray your potential as a graduate student. The rest of the portfolio looks great, you shouldn't have a problem. The GRE scores and graduate work combined with everything else should make the UGPA relatively unimportant especially considering the decade gap. All you need to say is that you matured over 10 years, problem solved.

Mark

I need some advice please. Sorry for the wall of text.

So i'm 26 now, 27 is right in the rear-view mirror speeding up quickly. The past year or so I've been attending college; never could make up mind what i wanted to do. I'm currently at a tech school and decided a 2 year degree isn't going to get me much. I've taken a psych class and i liked the class a good bit. But, after doing some research and a 4 year degree wont get me much as far as the psych industry, you need a Ph.D or Psy.D. Which from my research is going to take 8-10 years. Here is my issue: If i work hard enough to get a 3.5'ish + GPA with my 4 year degree, I'll be shooting for 3.9 actually, what is the likelihood of getting the HPSP for the US Army?

HPSP for the Army is competitive, but is only 1 route to getting into the military and securing funds to pay back. Unless you are wedded to only ARMY as an option you will find that there is a fair number of military opinions that can land you in a psychology billet with loan repayment options.

Now, personally, I was 38 when I began my undergraduate degree. I am now in the military, 43 years old and almost finished with my Ph.D. by contrast, you have plenty of time to make things happen at 28.

I'm fairly certain that if i don't get the HPSP i wont be able to get a fellowship or assistantship. So what other ways of financing grad school are there? Besides a student loan, because i don't want to be in debt for the rest of my life. Another issue is how time consuming is grad school?

That's not quite true... you will need to prep seriously for the GRE and keep your GPA as high as possible. Apply during undergraduate for as many scholarships as possible and read the insiders guide to clinical psychology programs NOW... it will give you what you need to know to start on a proper undergraduate trajectory to maximize your chances at admission to FUNDED programs. Don't be afraid of some student debt if you have several plans to ameliorate that debt later.

Specifically, if i have the HPSP and the Army pays for everything and i don't have to work a full time job, whats the likelihood of being able to date?

Cause the thought of being 37 years old after getting my Ph.D or Psy.D and being single is kinda scary because not many woman want to marry a guy that old.

As an older guy, I can safely say that this will NOT be a problem if you are even moderately attractive and in shape. Plus as a psychology graduate student, you might have limited time to date, but you'll be in the right environment to make the most of your limited time. Don't be afraid of being single at 37...

I'm really good with computers and thought about a 4 year degree in Computer Science but computers is a hobby for me, the thought of being stuck behind a desk 8+ hours a day coding just puts me to sleep thinking about it. I thought about the game industry but its extremely competitive. Then i thought about the internet security guys, but that leads to the grad school issue again.

I have a year, give or take, to figure out what i want while i finish up some core classes at my tech school. I plan on taking some more psych classes to assure i would like doing it. I just need some advice to point me in the right direction. I'm not asking for people to tell me what to do, just give me their thoughts on the situation. I have no doubt I can find a job with a Ph.D in psychology but what if 10 years from now there's not as much demand for psychologists in the government?

Demand will remain somewhat steady for psychologists in my personal opinion, what we might do may change but the skills are valuable.

I'd be stuck with a $150k bill that's going to take my entire life to pay back. Maybe im not understanding how grad school fully works or something. Maybe someone can enlighten me. Thanks in advance.

No, your math is right on the money. DO NOT GO TO AN UNFUNDED PROGRAM. Period. Find a way to make someone else pay for it (or at least a large portion of it!) You DO NOT WANT 150k in school debt in psychology.

Mark

I've been lurking on this forum for a little while and thought I'd create my first post here. I must say that it is a little intimidating to see that so many of you have such impressive stats. So I'll do the standard spiel and before I begin I am very grateful for any feedback you have for me. I'm currently applying for PsyD and counseling psych programs.

My Schools (wanting to cut 1 or 2 out but don't know which ones)
PsyD

1. University of Denver

2. Pacific University of Oregon

3. Indiana State University

4. The Virginia Consortium

5. Marywood University

6. Loyola University, Maryland

7. Widener University

PHD (counseling Psych)

1. Utah State University

2. Arizona State University

My STATS:

Graduated with my BS in psychology

GPA - 3.65 (last 2 years)
GRE - Verbal: 550
Quantitative: 540
Analytical Writing: 5.0
(I know these are low...I am not going to retake the GRE though)
I am not applying to schools that require the psychology subject test.

Research Experience:

I have been working in 3 labs for 3 years now. RA type stuff; data entry, some data-base work, running participants, some data analysis and also some recruitment.

I was 2nd author on a poster that was presented at a national conference. I also presented the poster at my University.

I am currently in the midst of my own novel research. I will not be done running participants until after application deadlines (I will however bring it up in my SOP).

My letters of recommend will be coming from professors who know me well and think highly of me (to my knowledge, haha).

Clinical Experience:

I have worked in a group home for people with autism for the past 3 years. I implement behavioral support programs as well as assist in creating them. Job entails supporting people in practically every aspect of living.

Unfortunately this is the extent of my formal clinical experience.

Distinctions/volunteer work

Spent 2 weeks during Christmas 2008 in Tijuana Mexico building homes and doing anything else to help.

Volunteered for an organization called "Drug Safe" which educated people about so called party drugs and how to do them safely (if they still chose to do them). The whole idea was that people are going to do them anyway so if we can't prevent them we should at least help them to do it safely.

Dean's list 2008

Active member of the human factors and ergonomics society (a sub-field within psychology)

I would like to know if I have a good chance of being accepted into the programs in my list. I realize I went research heavy but I wasn't dead set on the clinical side til this year. I do wish I would have went after more clinical opportunities. My goal is to be a licensed psychologist.

Also, I am slightly concerned about opportunities for financial aid. In the grand scheme of things I am OK with debt to fulfill my dreams. However, if I could get into a funded or partially funded school that would be great. If any of you have any comment on any of these schools in that regard I'd be grateful. Or some good programs with aid that you think I may be able to get admittance.

Thank-you so much for your time! :love:

I've been lurking on this forum for a little while and thought I'd create my first post here. I must say that it is a little intimidating to see that so many of you have such impressive stats. So I'll do the standard spiel and before I begin I am very grateful for any feedback you have for me. I'm currently applying for PsyD and counseling psych programs.

Thank-you so much for your time! :love:

I might drop ASU and add Oklahoma State U (Both Clinical and Counseling), and I would probably consider U.N.T. in Texas. Depends on your research interest.

Mark

My concern is my number of schools. Up until today, I felt okay if I don't get in and have to reapply, but now I am starting to feel differently. I am already out of undergrad.

I am applying to 8. I know this is a low number but I came to the decision to apply very late. I have only been choosing the schools that I feel the best about (in terms of POI research interests, location, and money). Also-- :(-- I cannot decide between clinical psych and social psych and am applying to both types of programs (4 of each). So I feel like that halves my chances.

Am I just really screwed? I am applying to what seem to me to be very good/competitive schools (though I don't think any of them are in the top 10 or anything) and almost all are full funding. Probably bad, right...? I could maybe try to add 2-4 more, but I honestly worry a great deal about being able to complete them without some consequences to my health in the time I have.

Briefly:
I have a 3.9 GPA from a state school that isn't well-known
1410 GRE-- Q 680, V 730, writing 6, 710 psych GRE
2 years as undergrad RA in the same lab and went to 2 conferences on group posters with many names on them (never 1st- once 2nd),-- unfortunately did not do much hypothesis formation in that lab or a thesis or any of my own original research.
I was also a TA twice but I don't think that will help.
In terms of clinical experience, I did a semester-long internship.
I am coordinating a few research efforts at my current job but it is not psychology research at all.

I will be forever grateful if anyone even answers this question.:xf: Especially if it is really soon-- if I need to consider adding more.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I'm currently in the midst of the application process for Clinical Psychology doctoral programs. I'd be more than appreciative of any feedback!

GPA: 3.9 at a large northeastern state university (double major Psychology and Communication)
GRE: Quant: 720; Verbal: 590; Writing 4.5
taking Psych GRE in a few weeks

PhD programs I'm thinking of applying to: (alcohol and substance abuse research, cbt research) - hoping to narrow down to 8-10 PhD programs

Ultimately, I'd like a balanced PhD program or PsyD program to prepare me for a career of 1/2 Practice and 1/2 Research/Teaching or 3/4 Practice and 1/4 Research/Teaching. I'm most concerned that my verbal GRE is low (however it totals at 1310) and that my research experience is average. Any California or Florida school's that I may have not considered?

Any advice welcome! Thanks! :)

ASU is hard core research, not even close to balanced.
I wouldn't waste my time on DUKE or BU, your background seems a little weak for those two schools. (For the record, I had nearly the same stats... I wasted my time on apps to DUKE and BU... So don't be afraid to reach for the stars... they can't say "no" unless you ask!)

I might drop ASU and add Oklahoma State U (Both Clinical and Counseling), and I would probably consider U.N.T. in Texas. Depends on your research interest.

Mark

Hey thank you for the reply Mark. Why are you suggesting those schools if I might ask? Do you think I have a chance in the others on my list?

I will be graduating in May 2011 with an undergraduate degree in psychology from Bowling Green State University. I'm looking to apply to an APA accredited program in Clinical Psychology. The problem is I need help locating schools that are most likely to accept my scores (generally at an average of 600 on GRE). I'm looking for programs focused in the scientist practitioner model that have either a General Behavioral, or possibly Child-Clinical focused. As for research interest, I'm willing to assist in any research that compliments a faculty worker and is applicable in a clinical setting.

GPA: 3.5, psych 3.7

GRE: 600 Q, 470 V, Subject 600 (I took the subject again and most likely scored higher and I'm planning on retaking the general to up my verbal).

Research experience: I have six months research experience coding and assisting in the interpretation of data on a major research project headed by one of my professors that is currently seeking publication.

Clinical experience: I have 2 years clinical experience working as a CSWA (Community Social Worker Assistant) in an inpatient residential unit with emotionally disturbed adolescents.

LORs:I have two strong PhD level recommendations coming from professors at my university, as well as the program director of the inpatient unit in which I work.

I'm currently narrowing down the pool of schools from a list of around 20 but i need help accurately gauging schools that will likely accept me. (likely 600 median accepted according to public statistics.

Please help if you can.

Current Pool:

Arizona State University
University of Miami
University of Hawaii, Manoa
DePaul University
University of Illinois, Chicago
Indiana University
University of Maryland - Baltimore County
U. of Massachusetts - Amherst
U. of Massachusetts - Boston
Fairleigh Dickinson University
Metropolitan University of Albany - SUNY
SUNY - Binghamton
University of Buffalo - SUNY
UNC Chapel Hill
Duke University
BGSU
Ohio University
University of South Carolina
University of Memphis
University of Virginia
American University

Several of the schools on your list are Academy of Clinical Science programs (which means they are heavy, heavy research programs) and will likely require substantially more research experience than what you have. They will need to at least see you produce something as well (presentations, posters, etc).

I think you will also have somewhat of a difficult time selling yourself at these and many other programs if you have no real research focus (or at least 1 or 2 areas that you are passionate about). Most Ph.D programs have a mentor model, so it important that you communicate your sincere passion, fit, and commitment to a specific professors work/line of research. I think this is real issue and probably comes from the fact that you really have much less research experience than the typical ph,.d applicant. Especially a ph.d applicant at these types of programs. So, again, lack of experience is gonna hurt you here. Many applicants will have been involved in multiple projects over the course of a few years.

V+Q of 1200 is the realistic cutoff at many schools, so if you are below that mark...things will be much more difficult. You really need to get that verbal up there. However, you might want to also concentrate on uping your Q, as its gonna be difficult to raise your V by 130 points. Thus, aim to bring your Q as well.

Last edited:
Is there a separate parallel entity for the programs that are scientist-practitioner structured, but are more focused on clinical practice? I'm looking to end up practicing in state hospitals or private practice, less so than researching for the majority of my career.

Are you simply asking if there are ph.d programs that expect less research experience when applying? If, so, yes. However, all programs need to see a track record of research involvement. Its the programs like UNC and few others on your list will need to see posters or presentations on top of that though. But more importantly, you have to take into a account that you are not only having to measure up the programs' standards/expectations, but you also need to be able to beat out your peer competition for admission. Many ph.d program applicants are simply stellar students with lots of research experience. Programs are going to pick the "cream of the crop" from the pool of applicants that they have. They do this because they have the luxury to do so. When 200 people apply for 5 spots, thats what happens.

Last edited:
I was previously not aware of the existence of the APCS. It was never brought up in any of my psychology courses. Now that you have made me aware of its existence, I am completely restructuring my list. I was wondering if you be able to recommend any schools within the range I am seeking.

So apart from the list, are there any programs you would recommend?

I know BGSU ad SUNY-Albany are more what I'm looking for, so if you think of something similar i would be much appreciated.

Hey thank you for the reply Mark. Why are you suggesting those schools if I might ask? Do you think I have a chance in the others on my list?

Both University of North Texas and Oklahoma State University are decent programs with funding that are within reach of your GRE scores. I interviewed at OSU and was very impressed and I have heard that UNT is a decent program as well. OSU and UNT seem more balanced. I would probably throw an application at Indiana University of Pennsylvania' PSYD program too.

I don't know the stats on the other schools, but in general, to be competitive you should be within 50-100 points of the average GRE score... I don't think Utah is going to be a good fit either.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had to pick two research topics that I am passionate about, it would most likely be abuse victims and depression.

Ethari, I merged your thead over here because all threads about competitiveness for programs belong in here. The stickied thread at the top of this forum for doctoral applicants has more information about it.