This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone,

Hope you’re all doing well.

I have a foreign B.A. degree in psychology and when I moved to California, I began an online MFT program at a university that’s regionally accredited by the WASC. At the time, I didn’t think I would want to pursue a doctorate so the school seemed fitting.

I’m currently in practicum and will graduate next year. I’ll (hopefully) graduate with a 4.0 GPA. My question is: do I have a chance in getting into a good, respected APA accredited program next year if my M.A. degree will be from an online program? We do have a year of practicum. And if not, how can I boost my chances?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

Hope you’re all doing well.

I have a foreign B.A. degree in psychology and when I moved to California, I began an online MFT program at a university that’s regionally accredited by the WASC. At the time, I didn’t think I would want to pursue a doctorate so the school seemed fitting.

I’m currently in practicum and will graduate next year. I’ll (hopefully) graduate with a 4.0 GPA. My question is: do I have a chance in getting into a good, respected APA accredited program next year if my M.A. degree will be from an online program? We do have a year of practicum. And if not, how can I boost my chances?

Thank you!

Mod Note: Merged this into the WAMC sticky thread.

I don't know that the MFT will particularly help (or hurt) your chances for doctoral admission at many or most programs, although the 4.0 GPA is a good start. One of the primary factors that will come into play is amount of research experience. GRE scores will also factor in at most programs, although some have begun phasing this out. And of course letters of recommendation.

If you have limited to no research experience, then unfortunately, your chances of getting into most APA-accredited programs will be minimal. But that's nothing a year or two of full- or part-time RA work couldn't necessarily overcome.

Hi all,

I am still reading through the Insider's Guide/other forum suggestions on all of this, but I am hoping just for some feedback to make sure I am on the right track or if I should just wait another year (and what I should do if I do wait). I am primarily in interested PTSD research, psychotherapy process/outcome, and assessment.

Academic
BS in psychology 2012, 2.8 GPA, 3.5 psych GPA.
MSW mental health concentration, 2019, 3.9 GPA

Research
-1 year Quant. Project management: managing the data collection process, training RAs in data entry and basic SPSS functions. Independently doing descriptive statistics and basic correlation.
-10 months as a research assistant prior to being hired on for project management. Data entry, initial and follow-up surveys.
I have done literature reviews for the PI. I have 1 publication as fourth author and will have another as second author. The latter is a qualitative study.

Professional
10 month externship (post MSW) doing psychotherapy in-clinic and in-school.
5 years at a behavioral health hospital
-1 year of inpatient clinical social work (current) heavily just case management
-4 years as a psychoeducation group facilitator
-1 year doing intake assessments (more of screenings to determine needed level of care)

Concerns:
-I opted for my MSW program because there is a professor here who researches social work/community interventions for PTSD, but I know this doesn't make it look like I am fully dedicated to clinical psych as a profession. EDIT: Funded programs are my main priority.

-EDIT: Took a couple full-length practice GREs and my scores are closer to 153-156 range for both verbal and quant.

-Regarding the research, it has been focused on PTSD in the community and social work interventions, not clinical populations. As noted, my experience has been mostly qualitative.

-Because it has been >8 years since my BS in Psych, outside of the psych subjects test, what might be beneficial for me to do (e.g. take another class)?

-During my MSW, I opted to take the intro statistics course given to PhD social sciences which introduced parametric and non-parametric analysis. Which was great but my main experience now is qualitative.

-We have access to SPSS, SAS, and R and a professor who teaches the former two. Is there anything I can do with that? The projects I am on are still collecting follow-ups and will not be finished in the coming year.

Thank you all in advance for any feedback! Please let me know if there is something I forgot or need to clarify.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Harvard, UPenn, Berkeley, Columbia and UCLA, although she is applying to many other programs as well such as Johns Hopkins, Northwestern, NYU, etc.

Why these programs? Which mentors and area of study?

I am going to help her write her essays

Please don't do this. Posting for her here is probably enough.

Reactions: 1 user
She is open to doing developmental psych as well, and will be applying to some schools that do not offer clinical psych, but have developmental psych instead. Developmental would be her second choice. We are both worried because clinical psych is probably the most competitive psych PhD program to get into.
What kind of work does your girlfriend want to do after the Ph.D.? What does she envision doing in her day-to-day work?

Hello all, I have no clue how PhD admissions work, and I am posting here on behalf of my girlfriend to assess her chances at a top PhD program in clinical psychology. Her top choices are Harvard, UPenn, Berkeley, Columbia and UCLA, although she is applying to many other programs as well such as Johns Hopkins, Northwestern, NYU, etc. She is open to doing developmental psych as well, and will be applying to some schools that do not offer clinical psych, but have developmental psych instead. Developmental would be her second choice. We are both worried because clinical psych is probably the most competitive psych PhD program to get into. These programs are letting only 10 students in per year and probably get thousands of applications. She is Asian and is not a U.S. citizen, so I am also wondering how this will impact her chances.

Stats:
GPA: 3.99/4.00. Most likely she will be graduating summa cum laude. She got 1 A- during her entire college career which was a non-psych course. We attend a pretty good, but not great school for undergrad. Think rank 20-40 US News.

GRE: Has not taken yet. Some programs do not require submission of GRE which will be to her benefit. She is not a fan of standardized testing. With that said, she is aiming for at least a 95th percentile score.

Research: She's worked on multiple projects, the most notable being her senior thesis which got published.

She should be getting pretty good letters of rec and I am going to help her write her essays and work on her interview skills. How hard is it for an international student to get into these top PhD programs in clinical psych? I am seeing no data anywhere.

Mod Note: I've merged this into the WAMC sticky.

I also wondered, as the above posters, about the school choices and the developmental vs. clinical decision. Graduate school for clinical psychology is unlike undergraduate admissions or even medical school, where the school as a whole as a reputation, and the Ivy league et al. are usually at/near the top. Mind you, UCLA, Berkeley, etc., are all well-regarded programs, but your girlfriend's applications should be primarily driven by the individual lab/advisor to whom she is applying; it will often be the individual advisor who makes much or all of the admission decision.

RE: developmental vs. clinical, of those two, only clinical results in a person being eligible for licensure as a psychologist (and thus the ability to practice with clients/patients as a psychologist). This is one reason for clinical/counseling/school programs being difficult to get into. There may be some overlap in underlying content of study, such as between pediatric clinical psychology and developmental psychology, but a developmental psychologist and clinical psychologist are generally going to be doing different things and focusing on different areas career-wise. What is it that your girlfriend wants to do with her degree?

And I second the advice to avoid helping with the actual writing of the essays. You could certainly help proof-read, provide your input, etc., but the content of the essays should really come from her.

"Just a professor" here - you know, like the PIs she would be applying to work with and be trained by.... That aside, to answer your question re: chances as an international student, I don't believe it will impact her that much as long as she has strong English language skills. One thing to know, though, is that it is generally more expensive for PIs to bring on international students because of the amount of tuition differential we have to fund through our grants for international students. In my experience it doesn't factor into acceptance decisions, but it is something I have to consider when determining which grants my students are working on and the funding sources that they are eligible for.

Because we think these are the top programs in clinical psych. She has identified mentors who are doing research in child development she is interested in, but I'd rather not cite names specifically.
It's good that she's looking at the work of potential mentors, and that she's beginning to narrow down a research focus. As a few said above me, I would not consider the "ranking" of clinical psych programs, as the reputation of your mentor is going to matter much more than the name of your school. Separately, child development is an incredibly broad topic. Personal statements generally excel when you have a specific research focus and can connect this focus to the research of the professor to whom you're applying. While her stats will give her a chance to be looked at, she won't get in without a solid idea of what she wants to study that connects to professors at those schools.

I honestly have no idea, so I would really appreciate the help!

Current Credentials
Sex
- Male
Undergrad GPA- 3.9 (I also graduated from a pretty solid university [Washington University in St. Louis] in 3 years)
Psych GPA- 3.8 (I was an Anthro Major and only took a few psych courses [Intro, Developmental, Abnormal, Psych Stats] but I am planning on taking the rest of the prerequisite classes as night classes this year)
Masters of Social Work (MH Concentration) GPA-3.9
GRE-320 (160 Verbal + 160 Quant)
Clinical Experience- Practicum for MSW: 1) 3 months working in a clinic for substance use disorder 2) 6 months working at a residential eating disorder facility 3) 1 year working in a college counseling center
Research Experience- I've taken courses where I had to write final research papers (both research methods and on statistics), but that’s it
Letters of Rec- Decent, not amazing but not horrible

I was planning on applying to the following schools:
Reach: Rutgers, Denver, GW, Loyola, Yeshiva, Pepperdine
More My Range: Adler, Carlow, Chatam, Chicago School of Prof., Hartford, Indy, JFK, Pacific, Palo Alt, Roosevelt, Spalding, Widener, Wright State, Wright Inst

I know more research experience would help, but I really don't want to stop doing clinical work just to beef up my resume. I have a couple questions:
1) Would I would be okay applying as I am now?
2) Would working part-time and doing research part-time would help me a lot if I did it for a year before applying?
3) Would it help me a lot more if I did it for 2 years?
OR
4) Would it actually make a big difference if I only did research (full-time) for 1 or 2 years and held off on clinical work for a while?

Thanks so much for the help!

Without ANY research experience, a full or partially funded program would be difficult. I would definitely take some time to get some substantive research experience if this route is what you really want to do. Additionally, why are there no balanced PhDs on your list (which are usually fully funded)? It would absolutely make a difference if you did research FT for 1-2 years. Clinical work pre grad school is largely irrelevant. Never really seen it move the needle much for people. Even for those with license eligible masters. Sometimes its seen as a slight negative, as some bad traits or training will need to be reworked.

Good advice, I will talk to her and see if she can narrow her research focus. But wouldn't you agree that generally these top schools are the ones that have the best advisors?
C12150FC-5905-4057-A8A7-6243A575367E.gif

The best advisor is the one who has similar research interests and wants to mentor her. Graduate study is not the same as undergrad where rankings of the school can hold weight. Take a look at the “Doctoral Applicants read first” thread for some helpful information, especially Mitch’s guide to graduate study in psychology.

If she meets the minimum requirements and is considered a good fit with the PI or program then she will be invited for an interview. But getting an interview does not guarantee acceptance. It is good that her speaking is fluent. It will also be important that she is able to pick up on social communication cues and body language, which is not always easy for an ELL speaker. God knows I would miss things in a different language. Otherwise she could end up like a Jun Yu, who sued his school alleging discrimination for kicking him out of the program after failing to match for internship. There was a thread about it on this board awhile back.

Good advice, I will talk to her and see if she can narrow her research focus. But wouldn't you agree that generally these top schools are the ones that have the best advisors?

No, almost no one would agree that this is true. Out of the topic areas in some of my areas of interest, I can think of the top 3 doctoral advisers in the area, non of them are at these "top schools." Those rankings are largely irrelevant at the grad school level. So, not only would one potentially be applying to a place with a poor fit (decreasing their acceptance chances) they are also potentially taking the top people in their field of study off the table.

No, that's just not how doctoral training in clinical psychology works. Yes, UCLA, Penn, etc. might have good PIs in certain areas but that doesn't mean that they have PIs doing research in all areas (which would be impossible), let alone being the best advisors in the given areas they do have. In fact, for a given research area, the top PIs may be a universities you've never even heard of and which are definitely not on some obtuse list of the "top" programs or universities.

This is why you apply to programs largely based on match with the faculty mentor, the overall orientation of the program, and the specific opportunities provided (e.g., external practicum sites), not perceived reputation or ranking of the program. As WisNeuro pointed out, applying based on reputation perceptions of the university or geography (i.e., your girlfriend looking for programs in large metro areas) are poor bases for fit, significantly hurting her chances of getting in anywhere and preventing her from actually working with the top people in her specific area.

Thank you, you are the only person who has answered my question so far. Good to hear that this info is coming from a professor as well. Her English speaking is nearly 100% fluent, it's her writing that needs improvement. But, she did get an A on her senior thesis without my help, so maybe I'm being a bit too hard on her. Out of curiosity, will there be an interview process she has to go through, or does she just submit her credentials and wait for an acceptance/denial?

As others have noted, it would be good for your girlfriend (i.e., not you) to familiarize herself with more of the basics (e..g, the threads here, Norcross' Insider's Guide) of doctoral training in clinical psychology before proceeding further. It's a completely different process from undergrad admissions

Her first choice would be to be a licensed psychologist, although she wouldn't mind just being a professor if she has to go the developmental route instead.

Similarly, it's important for your girlfriend to sit down and decide what she really wants to do for a career. If she's really set on licensure and clinical work, it's generally not a good a idea to attend a program that doesn't lead to licensure because it seems less competitive. It would be unfortunate for her to go down a long degree path only to regret that she can't get licensed and doesn't like what sh'es currently doing or can't find a job. Relatedly, I would caution against the notion of "just" being a professor. Faculty positions, especially tenure-eligible ones, are incredibly competitive. You don't just get one because you've completed a doctorate in your field. You need a very robust research CV with a history of getting grants to even be competitive for these positions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Curious to hear some crowd-source opinions on my viability for balanced clinical phds this season:

UGPA 3.25 /psyc 3.65
Masters in experimental psyc (almost 10 yrs ago / good GPA) - 2 national poster presos
Masters in counseling psyc (more recent / good GPA) - 3 years of clinical work
Worked as an applied researcher in the private sector for several years in between - 1 patent
GRE tbd (should perform fine, got a 1450/1600 years ago on the old test)

I'm looking at places that are a good mix of clinical/research, that are funded, and truly fit with my research interests and evolving theoretical perspectives.
Besides the master''s in experimental psych, how much research experience do you have?

Also, why do you specifically want a doctorate and what will it allow you to do that your master's degrees can't?

Great. You're on the right track. Given that your experience lines up with your training interests, there's no reason not to apply this year. Just take all the time and effort you would have spent on coursework and focus on bringing that GRE score up as much as you can. If you can get another research presentation or publication, that would be fantastic, but I'm not sure whether that is feasible in your situation. However, do make sure you ask your PI for help in choosing possible programs and mentors. Even if you don't get in this cycle (and many strong applicants don't), you will learn something useful from the process. Good luck!

Hi again! I'm wondering if you think there is a difference between "Psychological statistics" and regular statistics? The stats class I took in college wasn't titled "Psychological statistics," just plain old statistics, so I am not sure if that makes a difference for applications.

Hi again! I'm wondering if you think there is a difference between "Psychological statistics" and regular statistics? The stats class I took in college wasn't titled "Psychological statistics," just plain old statistics, so I am not sure if that makes a difference for applications.

Did you take your stats course in a psychology department? If so, there is no difference. It's just that the course names differ among schools. A stats course taught in a biology department would probably be okay also assuming you had a psychology research methods course as well.

The course I took was from the math department, and yep I took psychology research methods. I wasn't sure if the specifc name of the course matters, but it sounds like it doesn't as much, especially since the concepts covered are likely the same. Thanks for confirming, I appreciate it.

I am a Incoming senior at Arizona State University, looking to get a PsyD (can't get into a phd program) which PsyD programs would I be able to get into?
take this into account: I am a Male and my ethnic background is hispanic
Major: Psychology
GPA: 3.51 currently, by the time I graduate 3.5+
Psych Gpa: 3.35 currently, by the time I graduate 3.5+
Last 60 credits: GPA is 3.7-3.8
Research experience: 3 semesters by the time I graduate as a Research assistant in a clinical psych lab
Clinical experience: Currently: 1 year interning at a non profit visitation center for families
Letters of Recommendation: I don't think these will be too great in my opinion, id say below average
GRE: haven't taken yet
should I apply straight out of college or wait a year to have a better chance to get into a phd program

I am a Incoming senior at Arizona State University, looking to get a PsyD (can't get into a phd program) which PsyD programs would I be able to get into?
Last 60 credits: GPA is 3.7-3.8
Research experience: 3 semesters by the time I graduate as a Research assistant in a clinical psych lab
Clinical experience: Currently: 1 year interning at a non profit visitation center for families
Letters of Recommendation: I don't think these will be too great in my opinion, id say below average
should I apply straight out of college or wait a year to have a better chance to get into a phd program

I would wait a year. Any of the non-diploma mill PsyDs that won't drown you in debt will be around the same competitiveness as balanced PhDs. Have you gotten any posters or pubs out of your research experience? If not, I would push to try to get some of those in this next year. Also, try to really build some relationships with faculty because lackluster letters of recommendation are usually a bit of a flag for programs.

I would wait a year. Any of the non-diploma mill PsyDs that won't drown you in debt will be around the same competitiveness as balanced PhDs. Have you gotten any posters or pubs out of your research experience? If not, I would push to try to get some of those in this next year. Also, try to really build some relationships with faculty because lackluster letters of recommendation are usually a bit of a flag for programs.
I am planning on getting at least one poster if not two by the time I graduate. I will also have at least 2 solid letters of recommendation. does that change anything?

I am planning on getting at least one poster if not two by the time I graduate. I will also have at least 2 solid letters of recommendation. does that change anything?

It helps. If you have the money for applications, it doesn't hurt to try. What many people do is apply to programs and RA positions just in case. Most programs want 3 letters of recommendation, so you should also try to connect with a 3rd person.

I am a Incoming senior at Arizona State University, looking to get into funded PsyD or PhD programs which programs would I be able to get into?
Last 60 credits: GPA is 3.7-3.9
Research experience: 3 semesters as a research assistant in a clinical focused lab. Will have at least one poster presentation. and entering into a second lab in fall.
Letters of Recommendation: I will have 2 solid letters, 3rd one I'm not sure about
should I apply straight out of college or wait a year to have a better chance to get into a funded program

I am a Incoming senior at Arizona State University, looking to get into funded PsyD or PhD programs which programs would I be able to get into?
Last 60 credits: GPA is 3.7-3.9
Research experience: 3 semesters as a research assistant in a clinical focused lab. Will have at least one poster presentation. and entering into a second lab in fall.
Letters of Recommendation: I will have 2 solid letters, 3rd one I'm not sure about
should I apply straight out of college or wait a year to have a better chance to get into a funded program

Mod Note: Merged into the WAMC sticky.

Hi!!
I am applying this fall to both PsyD and PhD programs. I am leaning more towards PsyD, I do not think I have enough experience to get accepted into a PhD program. I would like to be a forensic neuropsychologist, so I am especially looking at programs that specialize in neuropsychology.

Here are my current stats:
  • 3.9 GPA, major in psychology research, minor in addiction treatment services
  • I have worked 3 years under a forensic psychologist. I assisted on death penalty and murder trial cases, input psychological testing into the database, basic clerical work, as well as research assistance when needed (Although this was under my dad, so is this not going to look as good to admissions?)
  • Completed a summer practicum under a neuropsychologist. Went over different clinical testing such as the WAIS, CVLT, WMS, WISC, etc. I learned how to administer all of these tests to patients. Though I never saw patients, I was trained how to administer. I also did didactic training and fact finding (fact finding was so cool!)
  • One year as a research assistant for a research lab at the clinical psych PhD program at my university
  • Publishing in preparation (but I don’t even know if I could really talk about this, everyone is moving very slow on this)
  • Teaching assistant, I taught psych 101 for one semester at my university
  • I was a youth ambassador for a foundation created by a clinical psychologist in order to teach youth in the community how to be kind, love themselves for who they are, and to promote body positivity for young girls at an age where eating disorder rates are the highest. (this was in high school though, does it count?). She is actually one of my letter writers.
  • Haven’t taken the GRE yet. I have been studying all summer but I am expecting to do pretty poorly on it, so I’m trying to make sure other areas ^ are strong and can somewhat make up for it. However, over 45 clinical psych programs have waived the GRE for 2021 due to covid and testing centers being closed. I feel that the GRE is something that could really bring my application down, and I am somewhat banking on the fact that I wont have to submit my scores this cycle. I am still prepping as hard as I can and trying to do as well as I can on this exam, though.

Like everyone has experienced, I am getting increasingly nervous approaching this application cycle. I feel like I have worked so hard and I am so passionate about this, but I don't have as much to show for myself as I thought I did. Do I have a good shot at acceptance to a PsyD program? Is there anything else I can do to boost my resume last minute and make myself a stronger candidate? I have heard some people talking about working for mental health hotlines or hospitals. I am applying this fall, so I wouldn't have a ton of time to hold a position to where it's acknowledgeable. Further, I don't know if I should focus on getting a month or two of more clinical experience in or if I should focus that time on studying for my GRE's and making sure my personal statements/applications are good.

Any thoughts on how to improve?
Thanks so much for your time!

I have heard some people talking about working for mental health hotlines or hospitals.

No need for this at all, especially since you've already worked in a clinical setting.

Further, I don't know if I should focus on getting a month or two of more clinical experience in or if I should focus that time on studying for my GRE's and making sure my personal statements/applications are good.

Clinical experience is less important than research, grades, and GRE scores. Invest your time and effort in the GRE and research products.

as well as research assistance when needed (Although this was under my dad, so is this not going to look as good to admissions?)

Wait, are you saying the forensic psychologist you worked with is your father? Yes, that is likely affect how faculty evaluate this experience, unfortunately. It's not bad, it's just not going to be evaluated as positively as employment outside the "family business."

3.9 GPA, major in psychology research
One year as a research assistant for a research lab at the clinical psych PhD program at my university
Publishing in preparation (but I don’t even know if I could really talk about this, everyone is moving very slow on this)
Teaching assistant, I taught psych 101 for one semester at my university

With these experiences it's totally reasonable to apply to PhD programs. Don't limit yourself to PsyD. Get cracking on that publication, though.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! I've been ~scrolling through these posts for the last year or so, and now that I'm getting all my application materials together for the coming admissions cycle, I wanted to post and see if I could get any feedback, advice, or tips! I'm planning on applying to all Clinical Psych PsyD programs, namely GW, Loyola, Pepperdine, Nova, Denver, La Salle, Baylor, Widener, and possibly a few more. Thank you all so much in advance! Here's a bit about me:

Major: BS in Psychology and BA in Criminology from the University of Florida
GPA: 3.65, Honor Roll and Dean's List
Major GPA: ~3.70
GRE: 159 verbal
155 quant
4.0 AW
Experience:
2 years working in Psychology and Law Lab examining factors surrounding wrongful conviction-- contributed to ongoing projects and national database, submitted articles for Lab's website

supposed to intern for Psych/ Counseling dept. at Department of Juvenile Justice-- cancelled due to COVID, was still accepted from other applicants and addressing this in my personal statement by talking about my interest in working with this population and in this kind of setting

Teaching Assistant for Developmental Psychology at UF

volunteer at juvenile prevention programs, work on establishing emotional intelligence, finding appropriate outlets as a means of behavior expression, creating patterns of healthy behaviors,

involved in a few other organizations around campus, trying to get another internship/ clinical experience opportunity for next semester
Letter of Recommendation: I have 4 options for LORs:

3 professors-- 2 know me well and will definitely write strong letters, 1 I don't know as well, letter probably won't stand out as much
an advisor who knows me from a leadership role/diversity aspect-- will definitely write a strong letter but is not a professor/ not really associated with the university

any advice on which 3 to ask to write letters for me? i.e. is it okay to have a LOR from someone who is not a professor and has not really seen you in a research or academic environment?

Does anything about my stats stand out as a problem/ any areas I should heavily consider strengthening? Again, thank you all so much!

Hi everyone! I've been ~scrolling through these posts for the last year or so, and now that I'm getting all my application materials together for the coming admissions cycle, I wanted to post and see if I could get any feedback, advice, or tips! I'm planning on applying to all Clinical Psych PsyD programs, namely GW, Loyola, Pepperdine, Nova, Denver, La Salle, Baylor, Widener, and possibly a few more. Thank you all so much in advance! Here's a bit about me:

Major: BS in Psychology and BA in Criminology from the University of Florida
GPA: 3.65, Honor Roll and Dean's List
Major GPA: ~3.70
GRE: 159 verbal
155 quant
4.0 AW
Experience:
2 years working in Psychology and Law Lab examining factors surrounding wrongful conviction-- contributed to ongoing projects and national database, submitted articles for Lab's website

supposed to intern for Psych/ Counseling dept. at Department of Juvenile Justice-- cancelled due to COVID, was still accepted from other applicants and addressing this in my personal statement by talking about my interest in working with this population and in this kind of setting

Teaching Assistant for Developmental Psychology at UF

volunteer at juvenile prevention programs, work on establishing emotional intelligence, finding appropriate outlets as a means of behavior expression, creating patterns of healthy behaviors,

involved in a few other organizations around campus, trying to get another internship/ clinical experience opportunity for next semester
Letter of Recommendation: I have 4 options for LORs:

3 professors-- 2 know me well and will definitely write strong letters, 1 I don't know as well, letter probably won't stand out as much
an advisor who knows me from a leadership role/diversity aspect-- will definitely write a strong letter but is not a professor/ not really associated with the university

any advice on which 3 to ask to write letters for me? i.e. is it okay to have a LOR from someone who is not a professor and has not really seen you in a research or academic environment?

Does anything about my stats stand out as a problem/ any areas I should heavily consider strengthening? Again, thank you all so much!
I'd say go with two faculty and the leadership-related LOR.

Hi!!
I am applying this fall to both PsyD and PhD programs. I am leaning more towards PsyD, I do not think I have enough experience to get accepted into a PhD program. I would like to be a forensic neuropsychologist, so I am especially looking at programs that specialize in neuropsychology.

• I have worked 3 years under a forensic psychologist. I assisted on death penalty and murder trial cases, input psychological testing into the database, basic clerical work, as well as research assistance when needed (Although this was under my dad, so is this not going to look as good to admissions?)
  • Completed a summer practicum under a neuropsychologist. Went over different clinical testing such as the WAIS, CVLT, WMS, WISC, etc. I learned how to administer all of these tests to patients. Though I never saw patients, I was trained how to administer. I also did didactic training and fact finding (fact finding was so cool!)
  • One year as a research assistant for a research lab at the clinical psych PhD program at my university
  • Publishing in preparation (but I don’t even know if I could really talk about this, everyone is moving very slow on this)
  • I was a youth ambassador for a foundation created by a clinical psychologist in order to teach youth in the community how to be kind, love themselves for who they are, and to promote body positivity for young girls at an age where eating disorder rates are the highest. (this was in high school though, does it count?). She is actually one of my letter writers.
  • Haven’t taken the GRE yet. I have been studying all summer but I am expecting to do pretty poorly on it, so I’m trying to make sure other areas ^ are strong and can somewhat make up for it. However, over 45 clinical psych programs have waived the GRE for 2021 due to covid and testing centers being closed. I feel that the GRE is something that could really bring my application down, and I am somewhat banking on the fact that I wont have to submit my scores this cycle. I am still prepping as hard as I can and trying to do as well as I can on this exam, though.

Like everyone has experienced, I am getting increasingly nervous approaching this application cycle. I feel like I have worked so hard and I am so passionate about this, but I don't have as much to show for myself as I thought I did. Do I have a good shot at acceptance to a PsyD program? Is there anything else I can do to boost my resume last minute and make myself a stronger candidate? I have heard some people talking about working for mental health hotlines or hospitals. I am applying this fall, so I wouldn't have a ton of time to hold a position to where it's acknowledgeable. Further, I don't know if I should focus on getting a month or two of more clinical experience in or if I should focus that time on studying for my GRE's and making sure my personal statements/applications are good.

I think this is a pretty strong application. I agree with the above poster that you should consider PhD programs as well.

Despite schools waiving the GRE for this application cycle, I feel like it might still be good to prepare for it and take it if you can find an open testing location. If you don't receive an acceptance this year, I would imagine you'll try again next year when perhaps the GRE waiver might not be utilized by schools? In that case you'll be scrambling to take it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!!

Seems like a strong application. I suspect you would get some interested bites from PhD colleagues who focus on intersections of forensics and neuropsych. Although many programs are waiving, its a complicated issue and there are some noteable cons to it as well. Do modestly well on the GRE to solidfy yourself entirely and you're in a good position. I second the 'dont limit yourself to PsyD' advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!!

Mod Note: I've merged this post, and its replies, into the WAMC thread. I will edit the replies to quote the original post, to help improve clarity.

Hi all,

I am still reading through the Insider's Guide/other forum suggestions on all of this, but I am hoping just for some feedback to make sure I am on the right track or if I should just wait another year (and what I should do if I do wait). I am primarily in interested PTSD research, psychotherapy process/outcome, and assessment.

Academic
BS in psychology 2012, 2.8 GPA, 3.5 psych GPA.
MSW mental health concentration, 2019, 3.9 GPA

Research
-1 year Quant. Project management: managing the data collection process, training RAs in data entry and basic SPSS functions. Independently doing descriptive statistics and basic correlation.
-10 months as a research assistant prior to being hired on for project management. Data entry, initial and follow-up surveys.
I have done literature reviews for the PI. I have 1 publication as fourth author and will have another as second author. The latter is a qualitative study.

Professional
10 month externship (post MSW) doing psychotherapy in-clinic and in-school.
5 years at a behavioral health hospital
-1 year of inpatient clinical social work (current) heavily just case management
-4 years as a psychoeducation group facilitator
-1 year doing intake assessments (more of screenings to determine needed level of care)

Concerns:
-I opted for my MSW program because there is a professor here who researches social work/community interventions for PTSD, but I know this doesn't make it look like I am fully dedicated to clinical psych as a profession. EDIT: Funded programs are my main priority.

-EDIT: Took a couple full-length practice GREs and my scores are closer to 153-156 range for both verbal and quant.

-Regarding the research, it has been focused on PTSD in the community and social work interventions, not clinical populations. As noted, my experience has been mostly qualitative.

-Because it has been >8 years since my BS in Psych, outside of the psych subjects test, what might be beneficial for me to do (e.g. take another class)?

-During my MSW, I opted to take the intro statistics course given to PhD social sciences which introduced parametric and non-parametric analysis. Which was great but my main experience now is qualitative.

-We have access to SPSS, SAS, and R and a professor who teaches the former two. Is there anything I can do with that? The projects I am on are still collecting follow-ups and will not be finished in the coming year.

Thank you all in advance for any feedback! Please let me know if there is something I forgot or need to clarify.
Just bumping my post, hoping for some guidance. If not allowed, will delete sorry.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Hello,

I am aiming for human development/developmental psych PhD programs and wonder how competitive I am with my current GRE scores. Also, how many programs is a reasonable amount to apply to? Thanks much in advance!

Academic
BA in biology, 3.865 GPA
MA in social psychology, 4.000 GPA

GRE (V/Q/A)
163/162/4.5 (will retake)

Research
-2 published peer-reviewed papers (second, third author)
-2 in-prep papers (first, second author)
-multiple school-level recognition/awards for research presentations
-2 years graduate research assistant (lit review, data analyses [descriptives, mean comparisons, regressions, mediation], manuscript writing)
-2 years lab manager

Naively, I can't imagine why you'd want to retake the GREs with those great numbers, especially in the current climate of barriers to test taking and some programs waiving the GRE requirement. Though I've heard of folks who enjoy the challenge and have a sort of drive for perfect scores, independent of utility.

Hello,

I am aiming for human development/developmental psych PhD programs and wonder how competitive I am with my current GRE scores. Also, how many programs is a reasonable amount to apply to? Thanks much in advance!

Academic
BA in biology, 3.865 GPA
MA in social psychology, 4.000 GPA

GRE (V/Q/A)
163/162/4.5 (will retake)

Research
-2 published peer-reviewed papers (second, third author)
-2 in-prep papers (first, second author)
-multiple school-level recognition/awards for research presentations
-2 years graduate research assistant (lit review, data analyses [descriptives, mean comparisons, regressions, mediation], manuscript writing)
-2 years lab manager
Wait, is this thread just for humble bragging now?

Naively, I can't imagine why you'd want to retake the GREs with those great numbers, especially in the current climate of barriers to test taking and some programs waiving the GRE requirement. Though I've heard of folks who enjoy the challenge and have a sort of drive for perfect scores, independent of utility.

Thanks for your response. I had been advised by my former advisor to retake them to increase my chances for acceptances/fellowships in a competitive field. And actually a lot of the programs that I'm considering still do require the GRE.

Wait, is this thread just for humble bragging now?

It's unfortunate that my post came across that way, but I was genuinely looking for constructive advice.

Thanks for your response. I had been advised by my former advisor to retake them to increase my chances for acceptances/fellowships in a competitive field. And actually a lot of the programs that I'm considering still do require the GRE.

It's unfortunate that my post came across that way, but I was genuinely looking for constructive advice.
I'm just joking. Your CV is very impressive and you shouldn't bother retaking the GRE. Focus on other stuff, like writing a good personal statement and making sure it conveys a great fit between you and faculty PIs.

I'm just joking. Your CV is very impressive and you shouldn't bother retaking the GRE. Focus on other stuff, like writing a good personal statement and making sure it conveys a great fit between you and faculty PIs.
I appreciate your feedback!

My question is kind of tri-fold. 1.) What are my chances, as is (based on info below except lets pretend I raise my GRE scores because the score I have is sans studying) and 2.) Is it beneficial/worthy it/advisable to put the tremendous added stress of trying to submit a research paper to an open-access journal in the next few weeks... [see below]......... 3.) another option is instead of trying to publish another paper, I could see how I do on the Psyche GRE and study for it......

Thank you to any and all who read!

How important is it to have a publication (accepted manuscript, published, etc.) on your CV prior to applying to a Clinical or Counseling PhD program. I've heard tons of conflicting information, and obviously there's no exact science to and we're basically all just speculating and going off of the luck of the draw... Clearly it's ideal to have a paper published, but how truly important is it.... I've worked in a schizophrenia research lab for the past year, and from that Lab, I was on a paper but my name is far down the list among 20 authors. The journal it was published in was the Journal of Psychiatry and Brain Science, which is a high-impact journal. Other than that, I do not have any papers or posters published. I am half-thinking about fixing up one of my papers from school and submitting it to an open-access journal (even though for open access journals you have to pay $2000-$4000 to be published!) just so that I have something else to put on my CV. Don't get me wrong, I love writing (why else would I want to go for a PhD) but I am currently working two jobs, trying to study for the GRE, manage all of these applications and learn about programs and POI's..... I am already busy and beyond stressed out. Wondering if spending a ton of time and effort trying to get a paper out in the next few weeks is worth it (it would be a literature review). You'll see below that my GRE scores need work... Lets say hypothetically I bring those scores up to 165 V 160 Q....

My research interests are schizophrenia (particularly newly emerging medications with, non-D2 receptor chemical mechanisms), and, separately, positive psychology interventions and the science of positive emotions. I am also interested in biomarkers of social anxiety disorder vs. paranoia in schizophrenia. It would be easiest to write the Literature Review for the open access journal on "positive psychology" since I already have good baseline of background research done on it that I could potentially make a paper with (in the 2-3 week timeframe that I would have if I started writing now). But at the same time, then it makes my research interest less clear. Is it positive psychology, or schizophrenia? On the other hand, is anything published a good thing, even if it makes your research interest seem less focused?

This will be my first year applying because I just finished a Masters in Clinical Psychology in May 2020. I have also heard that due to budget cuts there will be fewer spots. That is definitely nerve-wracking, but also just something we all have to accept... If I don't get in this round, I definitely intend to apply again.

Undergrad: I didn't major in Psyche as an undergrad (I studies Literary Arts [writing] and Modern Culture & Media [digital writing])—but also attended college from age 16-age 20 so I simply had no idea what I wanted to do as a career.... Once I decided on psychology 2 years post-undergrad, I applied and enrolled in a Masters degree program in Clinical Psychology.

M.A.: I took all the prerequisites for PhD programs during my Masters program

GPA: and finished my M.A. with a 3.9 GPA.

Research Experience: I have 2 years of research experience: 2018-2019, asthma education intervention research (I took the position because I didn't have a lot of options but needed the research experience); 2019-present: The past year I have been working in schizophrenia research... From that Lab, I was on a paper but my name is far down the list among 20 authors. The journal it was published in was the Journal of Psychiatry and Brain Science, which is a high-impact journal. However, I don't have any other publications other than that and I don't have any poster presentations.

Volunteer hours: I have 120 hours of volunteer experience in a psychiatric ER and hospital setting.

Letter of Recommendation: My letters of recommendation will come from the PI at the schizophrenia lab, another administrator, associated with the lab, and 1 or 2 professors.

GRE: I took the GRE completely blindly last weekend (meaning Zero studying or looking into the structure of the test, I just wanted to get a baseline)— and I got 155 V, 149 Q, 4.5 AW. I plan on bringing those scores up quite a bit in the next 3 months and am going to take the GRE 4 more times.

Random other writing: In addition I'm almost done writing a book (it's structured more like a glossary)— of 700+ terms from the fields of "psychology and spirituality". Several sections in it function like a Lit Review. While it does contain strong writing samples, it won't be published in a peer-reviewed journal article obviously.

I would feel a lot better if I had a few more papers out, but would my application be considered competitive in spite of this? I'm so stressed out about it that part of me wants to skip this cycle so I can actually enjoy writing papers in the meantime, while waiting for the next cycle. But then I feel like I mind as well try to apply this year regardless.

My question is kind of tri-fold. 1.) What are my chances, as is (based on info below except lets pretend I raise my GRE scores because the score I have is sans studying) and 2.) Is it beneficial/worthy it/advisable to put the tremendous added stress of trying to submit a research paper to an open-access journal in the next few weeks... [see below]......... 3.) another option is instead of trying to publish another paper, I could see how I do on the Psyche GRE and study for it......

How important is it to have a publication (accepted manuscript, published, etc.) on your CV prior to applying to a Clinical or Counseling PhD program. I've heard tons of conflicting information, and obviously there's no exact science to and we're basically all just speculating and going off of the luck of the draw... Clearly it's ideal to have a paper published, but how truly important is it.... I've worked in a schizophrenia research lab for the past year, and from that Lab, I was on a paper but my name is far down the list among 20 authors. The journal it was published in was the Journal of Psychiatry and Brain Science, which is a high-impact journal. Other than that, I do not have any papers or posters published. I am half-thinking about fixing up one of my papers from school and submitting it to an open-access journal (even though for open access journals you have to pay $2000-$4000 to be published!) just so that I have something else to put on my CV. Don't get me wrong, I love writing (why else would I want to go for a PhD) but I am currently working two jobs, trying to study for the GRE, manage all of these applications and learn about programs and POI's..... I am already busy and beyond stressed out. Wondering if spending a ton of time and effort trying to get a paper out in the next few weeks is worth it (it would be a literature review). You'll see below that my GRE scores need work... Lets say hypothetically I bring those scores up to 165 V 160 Q....

My research interests are schizophrenia (particularly newly emerging medications with, non-D2 receptor chemical mechanisms), and, separately, positive psychology interventions and the science of positive emotions. I am also interested in biomarkers of social anxiety disorder vs. paranoia in schizophrenia. It would be easiest to write the Literature Review for the open access journal on "positive psychology" since I already have good baseline of background research done on it that I could potentially make a paper with (in the 2-3 week timeframe that I would have if I started writing now). But at the same time, then it makes my research interest less clear. Is it positive psychology, or schizophrenia? On the other hand, is anything published a good thing, even if it makes your research interest seem less focused?

This will be my first year applying because I just finished a Masters in Clinical Psychology in May 2020. I have also heard that due to budget cuts there will be fewer spots. That is definitely nerve-wracking, but also just something we all have to accept... If I don't get in this round, I definitely intend to apply again.

Undergrad: I didn't major in Psyche as an undergrad (I studies Literary Arts [writing] and Modern Culture & Media [digital writing])—but also attended college from age 16-age 20 so I simply had no idea what I wanted to do as a career.... Once I decided on psychology 2 years post-undergrad, I applied and enrolled in a Masters degree program in Clinical Psychology.

Research Experience: I have 2 years of research experience: 2018-2019, asthma education intervention research (I took the position because I didn't have a lot of options but needed the research experience); 2019-present: The past year I have been working in schizophrenia research... From that Lab, I was on a paper but my name is far down the list among 20 authors. The journal it was published in was the Journal of Psychiatry and Brain Science, which is a high-impact journal. However, I don't have any other publications other than that and I don't have any poster presentations.

Volunteer hours: I have 120 hours of volunteer experience in a psychiatric ER and hospital setting.

Letter of Recommendation: My letters of recommendation will come from the PI at the schizophrenia lab, another administrator, associated with the lab, and 1 or 2 professors.

GRE: I took the GRE completely blindly last weekend (meaning Zero studying or looking into the structure of the test, I just wanted to get a baseline)— and I got 155 V, 149 Q, 4.5 AW. I plan on bringing those scores up quite a bit in the next 3 months and am going to take the GRE 4 more times.

Random other writing: In addition I'm almost done writing a book (it's structured more like a glossary)— of 700+ terms from the fields of "psychology and spirituality". Several sections in it function like a Lit Review. While it does contain strong writing samples, it won't be published in a peer-reviewed journal article obviously.

I would feel a lot better if I had a few more papers out, but would my application be considered competitive in spite of this? I'm so stressed out about it that part of me wants to skip this cycle so I can actually enjoy writing papers in the meantime, while waiting for the next cycle. But then I feel like I mind as well try to apply this year regardless.
Don't submit to a pay-to-publish journal just to have something published. It'll backfire and look bad to faculty. Something like Plos One, which is open access but legit looks.... okay, but it's not worth $2,000 of your own money for sure.

Reactions: 1 users

I hear how stressed you are. Planning to take the GRE 4 times in the next few months sounds expensive in money and bandwidth. Why not start with a free trial on Magoosh or something for a week then see if you're happier with your performance? I get that it represents a lever that feels controllable though. Not sure if you've seen that many programs are waiving the GRE this year due to barriers to testing - something to consider. Regarding your chances, I'm applying this year as well so I can only share my opinion as your peer. My sense is that if there is a strong fit with the faculty and program that's reflected in your personal statement and background, anything is possible!

Thanks for your input! And about the GRE, yes it’s crazy expensive! I’ve come across a few schools who do not accept the GRE because it is disadvantages students in rural areas and/or of lower socioeconomic background...... I couldn’t agree more and am glad some schools are considering this. You could also say the same about unpaid internships! Not sure if schools are quite progressive enough to consider that though. And yes a lot of schools have cancelled GRE scores due to COVID-19. Unfortunately most that I’m applying to haven’t announced anything yet.

Hello! I'm hoping for some feedback on my chances for admission to a clinical psychology program in Fall 2021. I am a senior at a public university majoring in Psychology and Human Development and Family Science with a Spanish minor. Broadly, my research interests are risk and protective factors in the development of psychopathology for ethnic minority children exposed to trauma and adversity, as well as the role of emotion dysregulation in child psychopathology. My goal is a research career, so I am interested in programs that emphasize research training (although I know these programs are also more competitive).

GPA: 3.9, psych GPA: 4.0

GRE: haven't taken it yet but my practice test scores have been V ~ 160-165, Q ~ 154 - 159. I could probably raise my quant score if I studied seriously over the next month or two

Volunteer Experience

- 1 year volunteering for a local sexual assault hotline, connecting callers with info/resources, referring them to staff and law enforcement, brief crisis counseling

- 3 years tutoring elementary school kids for a work study job

Research Experience

- 1 year (2 by the time I graduate) as an RA in a lab that studies ethnic minority families and emotion regulation. My responsibilities include recruiting participants, conducting participant interviews in Spanish and English, coding behavioral observations, entering data, and cleaning data. I also had the opportunity to review articles for a meta-analysis and could potentially be third author on it, although I'm not sure how close to publication it is.

- 1 year of independent research on discrimination, parenting, and child mental health as a McNair scholar. i am writing an senior/honors thesis on this but it will only be halfway finished by the time I apply

- 1 year of independent research on pretend play and child development. i have written a lit review, designed an independent study (did my own data collection and basic analysis), presented a poster at my school's undergraduate research conference, and written a paper that I am planning to submit for publication soon

- just started a research internship in a Human Development lab that studies couple relationships and parenting. i will probably be doing basic RA stuff with some potential to help with data analysis and lit review

- just started volunteering in another Human Development lab that looks at the effects of adversity on adolescents' neurobiological development. I will mostly be doing data entry but will hopefully get some exposure to fMRI/brain research, which also interests me

- I've received two assistantships from my school for my independent research ($1000 each)

I am aware of how insanely competitive clinical psych is, so I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me how I realistically stack up. I know my lack of research products and low quant score are weaknesses. Is there anything I can do this semester to improve my chances? Are my research experiences too unrelated to my research interests? And with the GRE, would it negatively affect my application if I just decided not to take it since so many programs are waiving it? Thank you for any advice you can give me!!!
I think you'll be quite competitive most places.

I would really like to know about my odds at these specific schools. Rutgers PsyD (still requires GRE), Palo Alto PsyD, Yeshiva PsyD (Requires GRE), University of Denver PsyD, University of Hartford PsyD, George Washington PsyD, Rosevelt PsyD (though I might drop it for a few reasons), Widner PsyD, Lasalle PsyD, Layola PsyD, UMass Boston PhD, and William James College PsyD (yes yes I know ONLY as my LAST resort please don't worry I would much rather do some of these other better schools, I know the issues with it from reading around).

I am specifically asking about my odds of getting into these schools, as finances is an entirely other conversation I am actively having with my parents and am aware of.

Senior Psych major at respected, but not ivy level university in Massachusetts.

GPA: 3.65, likely 3.7 by end of this year, Dean's list most semesters but not all.

GRE: V 162, Q 149, AW 5.5. Big concern is that some of the more prestigious schools on my list still require GRE, so idk if I should retake.

Research Experience: I have done some A+ research projects in my research courses, to begin with. I have spent 2 years in a psych lab at my school, but eventually got reprimanded because of some miscommunications and some ADHD related stupid mistakes--- nothing nefarious but doesn't look good. I have had a research assistant position for my freshman year with a visiting professor, and I had an internship where I studied children and did literature reviews. Also was working on a project with a grad student but she straight up ghosted me and she graduated.

Clinical experiences: I am about to do my clinical practicum course at my school which is a grad level course. I was a TA for my university's childcare center for 2.5 years, lots of working with children. I have had an internship where I trained to help survivors of domestic abuse but it was all online because of covid. And for my practicum internship, I will be working at a suicide hotline.

LOR: Well I can't use my lab PI because of what happened at the lab, but there are two professors (one I've had about 4-5 classes with and we get along pretty well, the other I've had 2 with and he's teaching my clinical practicum and seems to quite like me. For the last one I might use whoever supervises my internship for the practicum because my prior internships have only been a summer long and I'm unsure how much that will lead to strong letters. If necessary I could ask my past internships but it might not be as strong.

My goal is obviously to get into some of the better and university-based programs, but I also put in some backups that I'm aware have issues.

Any reason you're just looking at PsyDs? The reputable ones on that list will essentially function as the same as balanced PhDs.
I've thrown in one PhD, the one at UMass Boston, and I may throw one more in. I understand that balanced psyd's should be similar to balanced phd's, but I am mainly worried about the getting in part (more competitive), and getting possibly burned out by larger research commitments. I have thrown one or two in, but still mainly interested in psyd's.

I've thrown in one PhD, the one at UMass Boston, and I may throw one more in. I understand that balanced psyd's should be similar to balanced phd's, but I am mainly worried about the getting in part (more competitive), and getting possibly burned out by larger research commitments. I have thrown one or two in, but still mainly interested in psyd's.

Any of the PsyDs worth graduating from will have just as much of a research component as balanced PhDs, not too mention being funded, for the most part. As for your stats, GRE verbal is good, that quant could use a boost. The research background may be a little weak, but not an application killer. Depending on those red flags, you'd be somewhat competitive at some places, if you did some more research, got a poster or something out of it, fairly competitive for funded spots if you expanded your list and found a fit based lab.

Any of the PsyDs worth graduating from will have just as much of a research component as balanced PhDs, not too mention being funded, for the most part. As for your stats, GRE verbal is good, that quant could use a boost. The research background may be a little weak, but not an application killer. Depending on those red flags, you'd be somewhat competitive at some places, if you did some more research, got a poster or something out of it, fairly competitive for funded spots if you expanded your list and found a fit based lab.

I may put in one or two more Phd's but at the moment I am curious about the PsyD's on my list (particularly, the PhD's do still seem to have more pressure to publish as they're paying you to do it, and that's a lot of pressure..but anyway), as I like what I've gathered from most of these (besides the backups). I am extremely worried about the GRE in particular because I really am interested in Rutgers that still requires it. I have a few of what I'd consider mid-level ones as well... such as GW or Laselle...and I'd like to gather how I may fare at those at well. I called Yeshiva and they seemed to imply I should retake it for sure.

Some of those are a longshot (Rutgers), some are doable but tough (Denver), some I am not as familiar with, and some will accept you as long as you pay tuition and have a pulse, the latter of which is negotiable as long as you can secure loans.

Some of those are a longshot (Rutgers), some are doable but tough (Denver), some I am not as familiar with, and some will accept you as long as you pay tuition and have a pulse, the latter of which is negotiable as long as you can secure loans.

Given my current stats and my lists, which one's would you say strike a balance of "you have a good chance of getting in" and "it's got a decent reputation". My understanding is that Yeshiva, Palo Alto, and a few others meet that mid level and would do me well career wise? At least that's what my family seems to have concluded through our collective school searching. Or would it be entirely necessary to retake, or do a whole lot more to get into some of these decent ones? Is Rutgers really that much of a long shot..... *sigh*...well at least I have those other ones.

Given my current stats and my lists, which one's would you say strike a balance of "you have a good chance of getting in" and "it's got a decent reputation". My understanding is that Yeshiva, Palo Alto, and a few others meet that mid level and would do me well career wise? At least that's what my family seems to have concluded through our collective school searching. Or would it be entirely necessary to retake, or do a whole lot more to get into some of these decent ones?

The ones I'd personally consider reputable would be Rutgers, Denver, Palo alto, UMass, Loyola. Just depends on how much debt you want to go into. Personally, a year off to beef up CV would be a much better return on investment to get into a fully funded program than to take on six figures of debt, but that's just me.