Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! Apologies for posting again, I just can't decide if I should retake the GRE (again) Verbal&Quant: 309 Verbal: 154 Quant: 155 Writing: 4.5
I'm applying to PhD programs and want to be a clinical neuropsychologist. I'm not the best GRE test taker (I've taken it before and got a 308), but should I try to take the exam once more before the application deadlines? I'm hard on myself as I'm sure we all are, but I don't want my low scores to be the thing that screens me out. Though most schools waived the GRE requirement this year, 2 schools that I really want to apply to still require it (strong mentor match, great neuropsych programs). What do you think? Thank you in advance for reading, your advice is always truly appreciated.
Here are my other stats if it's helpful:
Major: Biology and Psychology, 2018
GPA 3.8 / Psych major GPA: 3.95
Psi Chi (psych) and Sigma Xi (science and engineering)
Research:
- 1 publication (3rd author of 4)
- 1 manuscript in prep (4th of 5)
- 4 presentations (one national, one at the state level, two at my university)
- Research methods course (independent research project)
- Senior thesis (independent research project)
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship in a lab for 10 weeks
- I've been in a lab at a Univeristy Hospital for 2.5 years as an RC managing 4 brain injury studies. I do informed consent, data collection, interviews, neuropsych assessments and data management for all of them
- Currently involved in three projects that will be papers eventually but not anytime before app deadlines.
Clinical:
- I interned at at a neuropsych private practice for one semester during undergrad administering and scoring neuropsych assessments for various clinical populations
- 1 year of shadowing a rehab psychologist at a rehab hospital
- 2 years of attending my boss's brain injury clinic, writing up the histories for him, taking observations and writing up the clinical reports
I don't know how much this matters, but in terms of teaching experience, I was a chem tutor and a mentor to freshman undergrads for one year too.
Thanks!
Those are fairly low GRE scores for most PhD programs. I would suggest looking at the two schools that are requiring it and see what the average GRE scores for who they've accepted in the past (each website should have this information). That would give you a rough idea of what you may need to achieve to at least get an interview. Usually I would say 315-318 are on the lowest I've seen at programs, with 320~ being average.