2020-2021 Massachusetts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there a student panel or anything else other than the interview on interview day?
Nope just the check in process then the MMI. Meet w dean at the end for questions

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Are we expecting some As to go out this friday? Was bracing myself for a post-II R yesterday but alas I have survived another tuesday!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not to beat a dead horse, but has anyone who has gotten an A not have their portal status change from "under review" to "interviewed" beforehand? Mine hasn't updated in almost 2 months and the panic is fully setting in

Not to beat a dead horse, but has anyone who has gotten an A not have their portal status change from "under review" to "interviewed" beforehand? Mine hasn't updated in almost 2 months and the panic is fully setting in
Not sure if this helps with the panic but mine changed to interviewed pretty soon after my interview, and I saw on here that someone who interviewed the same day as me already got an A

Has anyone else who completed a VITA back in November heard back yet? Sitting on dead silence at the moment. Completed 11/11 for me.

12/9 interview, just got the A, after 12/23 AC, good news does come on Fridays folks. I'm IS, absolute dream school

For everyone else who interviewed and is waiting, you all deserve this as much as anyone else, don't let the hope fade.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh my gosh, just panic checked the portal answered my own question - just got the A!! So insanely excited, has been a dream school for so long. 12/1 interview, AC email 12/23, IS, and LM 73. And to echo@4runner2004, I was completely out of hope this week and was about to start writing my PS for next cycle. This whole process is so much more emotionally taxing than I thought it'd be, and you're all incredible for going through it. Just hang in there!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 11 users
Got my first A today from UMass PURCH!! Found out this afternoon. Both interviews were first week of December. So happy 😭

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Are IIs still being sent by UMMS? Or can I assume that interviews are over?

AC email today, interviewed on 1/5. It looks like at this point they're making decisions about a month after the interview at this point, or is there no real trend?

Are IIs still being sent by UMMS? Or can I assume that interviews are over?
I believe they interview until the end of February, but I don't know if they're still sending them out.

AC email today, interviewed on 1/5. It looks like at this point they're making decisions about a month after the interview at this point, or is there no real trend?
N=1 but its seems somewhat random. I interviewed mid-December and it sounds like some people from around my time were already accepted

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed 11/18 and haven’t heard yet. People from my interview date have gotten As and Rs, and same with people even from interview dates later than me. Can’t discern much of a pattern.

I interviewed 11/18 and haven’t heard yet. People from my interview date have gotten As and Rs, and same with people even from interview dates later than me. Can’t discern much of a pattern.
Yeah I went back and figured as much. Did you also get the AC email? Also small thing that I know probably is arbitrary but some people said their portal changed to "interview complete" but mine still says "under review" has yours been changed?

Yes, I relieved the AC email 5 days after my interview, and my status on the portal changed to interviewed the day after my interview. Unfortunately it looks like those aren’t any sort of predicting factor either ):

Yeah I went back and figured as much. Did you also get the AC email? Also small thing that I know probably is arbitrary but some people said their portal changed to "interview complete" but mine still says "under review" has yours been changed?
Don't worry about the portal stuff. My portal never changed to "interview complete" and I didn't get an AC email before I was accepted.

Don't worry about the portal stuff. My portal never changed to "interview complete" and I didn't get an AC email before I was accepted.
Congrats! And thanks so much, lol that will definitely help my paranoia a bit!

Congrats! And thanks so much, lol that will definitely help my paranoia a bit!
To add to the confusion, but hopefully alleviate some stress: I got my II in November, Interview early dec, an AC email a couple weeks after my interview, despite that my portal had absolutely no changes until my acceptance last week. I can't tell you to not worry about the minutia because I was in the same position, and I felt the same exact way, but I honestly don't think it's really reflective of anything. The entire Umass website doesn't look like it's been updated since 1999 anyway.

Wait I thought fridays were a thing...

To add to the confusion, but hopefully alleviate some stress: I got my II in November, Interview early dec, an AC email a couple weeks after my interview, despite that my portal had absolutely no changes until my acceptance last week. I can't tell you to not worry about the minutia because I was in the same position, and I felt the same exact way, but I honestly don't think it's really reflective of anything. The entire Umass website doesn't look like it's been updated since 1999 anyway
This was very appreciated 😂 I think you’re right I’m going to try and stay sane and not read into it too much!

Congrats to everyone recently accepted! Anyone else besides me and @MOB202 waiting to hear back post-II from November (or earlier)?

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to everyone recently accepted! Anyone else besides me and @MOB202 waiting to hear back post-II from November (or earlier)?
Me! I interviewed in September and am still on AC. I'm assuming waitlist at this point.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Yep. Someone has to change this process to not take up to 8 months post interview to make a decision. It’s nuts.

Yep. Someone has to change this process to not take up to 8 months post interview to make a decision. It’s nuts.
Or maybe let us know when we are on the agenda for a meeting. Being glued to our email our year is tough lol

Reactions: 4 users
I'm interviewing soon and would love to know more about the MMI (it's my first interview ever and definitely first MMI style) Were there are a lot of ethical and situational questions? Is the structure 2 min prep 6 min talking? Is it generally advised to not talk the whole time so they can ask follow up questions?

If anyone also has insight into the MD/PhD interviews I would also really appreciate it! Thanks so much for any insight

I'm interviewing soon and would love to know more about the MMI (it's my first interview ever and definitely first MMI style) Were there are a lot of ethical and situational questions? Is the structure 2 min prep 6 min talking? Is it generally advised to not talk the whole time so they can ask follow up questions?

If anyone also has insight into the MD/PhD interviews I would also really appreciate it! Thanks so much for any insight
If memory serves me right, it was 2 minutes prep (you can take notes if you want) and 6 minutes of talking. Don't be stressed if you can't fill up 6 minutes, they'll ask follow-up questions if there's a lull!

• Love

The best piece of advice I ever received was to practice an uncomfortable amount. Find friends to simply read you a prompt and be a set of ears to hear it. They don't even need to be medical people, just someone to present you a prompt, and for you to practice the act of answering back to back MMI questions. Though it's even better if it's a fellow applicant or current med student, faculty member, etc. While they are assessing you, what they're assessing is YOU, the way you think for sure, but also the way you interact with other people. Don't worry about timing, because if you truly explain the way you think through one of these scenarios, there's no way to time is an issue because it will either take up a lot of the time, or something you say will trigger a follow-up question. Just practice timing yourself and your answers. Regarding the distribution of types of questions (ethical vs situational, etc), it's the same as any other interview: be prepared for any kind of question (while scary, it's what you would do to prepare for a non-MMI interview anyway).

In part of the pre-interview messaging, they send out they say they want to know what it's like to sit with you. I took this as perform as best you can, but also be yourself. I found myself cracking jokes, and connecting with my interviewers way more than I thought I would. I also definitely BOMBED the first couple, but I was able to explain my thinking and I think rebound by owning up to my mistake.

TLDR: Practice not to be perfect, but to be able to be yourself in a high-stress scenario (though their interview isn't high stress).

This article was helpful, but ignore their MMI interview prep ads: MMI Interview: The Ultimate Guide (100 Sample Questions Included) — Shemmassian Academic Consulting

Lmk if you want to talk more about this, happy to.

Last edited:
  • Love

The MMIs were fairly straight forward and the time flies by. The MD/PhD interviews were like all the other MD/PhD interviews i've had. Three 30 min interviews with researchers. They were generally in the same field as me, but not all of them worked on the same kind of stuff as me so I found myself going into more detail with some of them than others. It was really low-stress though. I got the A a couple weeks later. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

• Love
Any idea of how many A's they've given out already? I interviewed in early October and have just been hanging out waiting for something to happen

Any idea of how many A's they've given out already? I interviewed in early October and have just been hanging out waiting for something to happen
This isn't super accurate but there's 71 people in the accepted students FB, including 13 M1 admins. I imagine not everyone joins the group and a good number who have gotten an A will decide to go elsewhere though, so don't give up hope on the A by any means!

This isn't super accurate but there's 71 people in the accepted students FB, including 13 M1 admins. I imagine not everyone joins the group and a good number who have gotten an A will decide to go elsewhere though, so don't give up hope on the A by any means!
That’s useful info, thanks! Wow admitted students Facebook pages, would love to be a part of one someday😂

Reactions: 6 users
II!!! Wow! Complete on 08/31, update sent on 1/14/2021

Reactions: 8 users
II just now! Secondary submitted 9/1, AAMC VITA complete 9/27

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! Do you mind telling me how far they are scheduling interviews? Thanks!
THANK YOU! They had dates up until the end of February (and I think beginning of March!)