You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Massachusetts
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Are you in state or out of state?Nothing yet! Interviewed 9/22
always_sweating
Full Member
I live in MA but not long enough to qualify for IS tuition, not totally sure how UMass is categorizing me but it seemed like most of the other folks on my interview day were OOS so I'm guessing I'm considered OOSAre you in state or out of state?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
scienceishard111
Full Member
I live in MA but not long enough to qualify for IS tuition, not totally sure how UMass is categorizing me but it seemed like most of the other folks on my interview day were OOS so I'm guessing I'm considered OOS
I’m IS, but I live OOS currently. They sent an email months ago telling me that I would be considered in state
always_sweating
Full Member
But it sounds like you met their 7 year MA residency criteria? When I filled out my secondary there was an option for "I live in MA but don't qualify for IS tuition" (or something like that) which is what I selected & haven't gotten any separate communication about my residency statusI’m IS, but I live OOS currently. They sent an email months ago telling me that I would be considered in state
Or it's totally possible that I did something wrong lol
D
deleted615211
Anyone heard anything IS yet? Completed the VITA a while ago, but haven't heard anything back yet since... :\
But it sounds like you met their 7 year MA residency criteria? When I filled out my secondary there was an option for "I live in MA but don't qualify for IS tuition" (or something like that) which is what I selected & haven't gotten any separate communication about my residency status
Or it's totally possible that I did something wrong lol
I also checked the "Live in MA but don't qualify for IS tuition" box and I received an email a few weeks after submitting saying that they have reviewed my app and that I don't qualify for in-state tuition. I really hope I still count as an IS student tho haha. I've lived in MA for over 7 years with my family and I am living in MA right now! It just hasn't been 7 consecutive years.
Anyone heard anything IS yet? Completed the VITA a while ago, but haven't heard anything back yet since... :\
+1 to that :/
D
deleted615211
I also checked the "Live in MA but don't qualify for IS tuition" box and I received an email a few weeks after submitting saying that they have reviewed my app and that I don't qualify for in-state tuition. I really hope I still count as an IS student tho haha. I've lived in MA for over 7 years with my family and I am living in MA right now! It just hasn't been 7 consecutive years.
+1 to that :/
Maybe you can appeal it, or ask for clarification as to instate status? I believe for UMASS it's a huge benefit to get that IS status, as they take a lot of IS candidates.
I think if you can make the justifications off this page:
Massachusetts Residency Classification information
Massachusetts Residency Classification
It's definitely worth following up on to get that IS tuition and IS status.
I appreciate that, thank you! I don’t think that I can qualify as IS with respect to tuition unfortunately because they clearly state seven consecutive years and I haven't lived in MA for that long consecutively (used to live here, moved away, now moved back). Not sure why MA has such stringent rules compared to other states :/ But hopefully when reviewing my app they recognize that I have lived in MA for so long now and I am currently living here so fingers crossed!Maybe you can appeal it, or ask for clarification as to instate status? I believe for UMASS it's a huge benefit to get that IS status, as they take a lot of IS candidates.
I think if you can make the justifications off this page:
![]()
Massachusetts Residency Classification information
Massachusetts Residency Classificationwww.umassmed.edu
It's definitely worth following up on to get that IS tuition and IS status.
D
deleted615211
I appreciate that, thank you! I don’t think that I can qualify as IS with respect to tuition unfortunately because they clearly state seven consecutive years and I haven't lived in MA for that long consecutively (used to live here, moved away, now moved back). Not sure why MA has such stringent rules compared to other states :/ But hopefully when reviewing my app they recognize that I have lived in MA for so long now and I am currently living here so fingers crossed!
Yeah MA has really ridiculous rules for IS status, but I would at least follow up and ask if you don't quality for IS tuition, whether your status as an applicant is IS or OOS, and if possible try to get IS status.
cleocolor2020
Full Member
Just got an II!
Complete: 8/17
OOS
LM: 69
I also did not complete the VITA yet (but will now do it soon oops)
Complete: 8/17
OOS
LM: 69
I also did not complete the VITA yet (but will now do it soon oops)
Just got an II!
Complete: 8/17
OOS
LM: 69
I also did not complete the VITA yet (but will now do it soon oops)
Congrats!! But also how on earth did you get an II without completing VITA?? I wouldn't have thought that was possible...
orange_graspberry
Full Member
II at 9am today!!
Also complete 8/17
OOS
Did the VITA ages ago so I thought they had skipped me. Interview dates are in late October and early November. MMI style. Multiple interviews offered in one day (you pick one time slot).
Also complete 8/17
OOS
Did the VITA ages ago so I thought they had skipped me. Interview dates are in late October and early November. MMI style. Multiple interviews offered in one day (you pick one time slot).
cleocolor2020
Full Member
Thank you!Congrats!! But also how on earth did you get an II without completing VITA?? I wouldn't have thought that was possible...
Yeah, I was really shocked too! Maybe they don’t use VITA (or it might not be considered a big factor) to select candidates for interviews?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else's PeopleSoft system not loading?
congrats!! has your portal been updated?Accepted via email just now, my first A!!! Interviewed 10/1, OOS LM 75
always_sweating
Full Member
I've been having trouble with it on Chrome for a few days now, but it seems to load fine on FirefoxAnyone else's PeopleSoft system not loading?
Yep!congrats!! has your portal been updated?
Accepted via email just now, my first A!!! Interviewed 10/1, OOS LM 75
Congrats!!!
D
deleted1051525
I appreciate that, thank you! I don’t think that I can qualify as IS with respect to tuition unfortunately because they clearly state seven consecutive years and I haven't lived in MA for that long consecutively (used to live here, moved away, now moved back). Not sure why MA has such stringent rules compared to other states :/ But hopefully when reviewing my app they recognize that I have lived in MA for so long now and I am currently living here so fingers crossed!
Did your parent(s) live in MA consecutively during that time? That is another interesting thing about the MA residency rules - if your parents or siblings (i.e. "direct" family members) have lived in MA for the past 7+ years you can also qualify for in-state tuition. I haven't heard of any other state that has rules quite like that.... I am guessing in your case it doesn't apply since it sounds like you already went through the residency verification process. But def an oddball thing that not everyone realizes!
Did your parent(s) live in MA consecutively during that time? That is another interesting thing about the MA residency rules - if your parents or siblings (i.e. "direct" family members) have lived in MA for the past 7+ years you can also qualify for in-state tuition. I haven't heard of any other state that has rules quite like that.... I am guessing in your case it doesn't apply since it sounds like you already went through the residency verification process. But def an oddball thing that not everyone realizes!
Thank you for the heads up! I did notice that but my whole family moved out of and back to MA, not just me 🙂 thanks tho! That’s a good point
has anyone else received admissions decisions yet? I interviewed 9/9 so I'm getting kinda scared lol
has anyone else received admissions decisions yet? I interviewed 9/9 so I'm getting kinda scared lol
I interviewed 9/14 and have not heard back either. Hopefully we will hear something soon!
has anyone else received admissions decisions yet? I interviewed 9/9 so I'm getting kinda scared lol
I was told after my interview on 10/13 that they would get back to us 2 weeks after interviewing to let us know A, R or still under review. so they haven't gotten back to you at all since your interview?
futuredoc4634
Full Member
I interviewed 3 weeks ago and also haven't heard anything.I was told after my interview on 10/13 that they would get back to us 2 weeks after interviewing to let us know A, R or still under review. so they haven't gotten back to you at all since your interview?
SIGH. Crossing 10/27 off my calendar rn then lolI interviewed 3 weeks ago and also haven't heard anything.
FYI - at the info webinar today, UMMS admissions staff said that they aren't using VITA as a determination for who gets interviews or not.
..........After requiring every applicant to take it? Within two weeks of submission? When we, by which I mean I, were still writing secondaries and 0% prepared to interview?
Could really use some IS IIs right about now UMass, morale is low...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah I’m IS and feeling the same way..........After requiring every applicant to take it? Within two weeks of submission? When we, by which I mean I, were still writing secondaries and 0% prepared to interview?
Could really use some IS IIs right about now UMass, morale is low...
IS w/ strong af ties too.. im sadYeah I’m IS and feeling the same way
Well, what heck are they using it for? Unbelievable.FYI - at the info webinar today, UMMS admissions staff said that they aren't using VITA as a determination for who gets interviews or not.
Apaprently as an adjunct MMI pieceWell, what heck are they using it for? Unbelievable.
..........After requiring every applicant to take it? Within two weeks of submission? When we, by which I mean I, were still writing secondaries and 0% prepared to interview?
Could really use some IS IIs right about now UMass, morale is low...
I think it's time for some manifest Massachusetts...only way to get these IS II's rolling out.
Well, what heck are they using it for? Unbelievable.
And using it in case something goes wrong with the MMI..they referred to it as a "safety net"
D
deleted1075487
I think it's time for some manifest Massachusetts...only way to get these IS II's rolling out.
MANIFESTING IS IIs
premedapplicant5478
Full Member
Just received an II!
IS
LM: 75
IS
LM: 75
Just received an II!
IS
LM: 75
It’s happening! Congrats! When were you complete if you don’t mind me asking? 🙂
D
deleted1051525
Just received an II!
IS
LM: 75
😀
MANIFESTING IS IIs
Ayyyyyy look what you did!!
MANIFESTING IS IIs
Ayyyyyy look what you did!!
Do it again. 🤣
premedapplicant5478
Full Member
I was complete 8/3. My VITA was complete on 8/11.It’s happening! Congrats! When were you complete if you don’t mind me asking? 🙂
D
deleted1054719
D
deleted1075487
Do it again. 🤣
LET'S GOOOO! Manifesting more IS IIs for the rest of us this week!!
MA-Boston-97
New Member
Late post but received a II on Monday (10/19)!
IS
LM: 68
IS
LM: 68
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Late post but received a II on Monday (10/19)!
IS
LM: 68
Congratulations!! Do you know when you were complete?
IS or OOS?Really getting nervous about this app... complete 7/30, LM 70.5, still haven't heard anything.. ugh.
MA-Boston-97
New Member
Submitted my secondary on 8/4, got my complete email on 8/17!Congratulations!! Do you know when you were complete?
emily3590
Full Member
OOS but I've lived here for undergrad the past 3 yearsIS or OOS?