Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
WAMC
I put an initial post out before I have graduated, and a lot has changed. I thought I would repost!
Education
B.S. in Psychology and Cognitive Sciences. Small liberal arts college.
GPA 3.95
Research Experience
2.5 yrs in a Behavioral Neuroscience lab (R2 research university). Honors thesis with may eventually result in a pub. Project includes travelling out of state to learn techniques from collaborators.
2 poster presentations (one associated with my lab, one independent research in evolutionary psychology).
1 conference presentation in anthropology.
1.5yrs in with history research prof, used GIS to create maps demonstrating racial residential patterns of the college town. Did it as a campus job.
Served on research advisory board virtually for 1.5yrs for a lab that deals with trans mental health topics.
Clinical/Volunteer Experience
6 months as a mental health tech.
5 months in intentional community for adults with intellectual disabilities.
3 months as a Sexual Health and Family Planning intern along the US/Mexico border.
40hrs shadowing an Internist during my pre-med days.
40hrs shadowing a Psychiatrist, where I was perhaps unethically allowed to sit in on four talk therapy sessions.
LORs
Two strong letters from neuroscience PIs, and one good, maybe somewhat flat LOR from the history prof (the dude is just very hard to read). Seeking another source for the third one.
My college also provided ‘narrative grades’, which are received from each prof after each class. I got a lot of great feedback on those.
GRE
Just begun studying. Taking the test in December. Most of the programs I am interested in require the GRE.
Research Interest
I am especially interested in dual Clinical Psychology-Neuroscience programs. I am also interested in advisors with focuses in behavioral genetics, neuroimaging, and psychoneuroimmunology.
PhD Programs that I am especially interested in (no particular order)
Temple University, Lauren Ellman
Northwestern, Robin Nusslock
UPitt, Kathryn Roecklin
University of Texas at Austin, Kathryn Hardin
Michigan State University, S. Alexandra Burt
University of Houston, Elena L. Grigorenko
….
Post bacc plans
I am in the process of applying for the Peace Corps, and I am considering applying to the NIH post bacc program. May apply for both and take the NIH program if I get that, making Peace Corps plan B. Though two 2-year long programs feel like a lot for gap year(s), I’m willing to do it because they’re both experiences I want, I’m young, and I think it would increase my chances (though that’s not the main goal of these experiences).
As always, thank you so much for your feedback!
I put an initial post out before I have graduated, and a lot has changed. I thought I would repost!
Education
B.S. in Psychology and Cognitive Sciences. Small liberal arts college.
GPA 3.95
Research Experience
2.5 yrs in a Behavioral Neuroscience lab (R2 research university). Honors thesis with may eventually result in a pub. Project includes travelling out of state to learn techniques from collaborators.
2 poster presentations (one associated with my lab, one independent research in evolutionary psychology).
1 conference presentation in anthropology.
1.5yrs in with history research prof, used GIS to create maps demonstrating racial residential patterns of the college town. Did it as a campus job.
Served on research advisory board virtually for 1.5yrs for a lab that deals with trans mental health topics.
Clinical/Volunteer Experience
6 months as a mental health tech.
5 months in intentional community for adults with intellectual disabilities.
3 months as a Sexual Health and Family Planning intern along the US/Mexico border.
40hrs shadowing an Internist during my pre-med days.
40hrs shadowing a Psychiatrist, where I was perhaps unethically allowed to sit in on four talk therapy sessions.
LORs
Two strong letters from neuroscience PIs, and one good, maybe somewhat flat LOR from the history prof (the dude is just very hard to read). Seeking another source for the third one.
My college also provided ‘narrative grades’, which are received from each prof after each class. I got a lot of great feedback on those.
GRE
Just begun studying. Taking the test in December. Most of the programs I am interested in require the GRE.
Research Interest
I am especially interested in dual Clinical Psychology-Neuroscience programs. I am also interested in advisors with focuses in behavioral genetics, neuroimaging, and psychoneuroimmunology.
PhD Programs that I am especially interested in (no particular order)
Temple University, Lauren Ellman
Northwestern, Robin Nusslock
UPitt, Kathryn Roecklin
University of Texas at Austin, Kathryn Hardin
Michigan State University, S. Alexandra Burt
University of Houston, Elena L. Grigorenko
….
Post bacc plans
I am in the process of applying for the Peace Corps, and I am considering applying to the NIH post bacc program. May apply for both and take the NIH program if I get that, making Peace Corps plan B. Though two 2-year long programs feel like a lot for gap year(s), I’m willing to do it because they’re both experiences I want, I’m young, and I think it would increase my chances (though that’s not the main goal of these experiences).
As always, thank you so much for your feedback!
Last edited: