This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys. I have a bit of a situation that I feel needs a bit of explaining so I apologize that this might be a bit longer than most. When I first started undergrad, I ended switching my majors a bunch of times and the first year of college my GPA was like a 3.1. However, during my sophomore and junior year, my GPA ranged from getting 3.6's to 4.0. My senior year I got very sick and did terribly in both semester and it lowered my overall and major GPA quite a bit because I was in and out of the doctor so much. I ended up even failing a psychology course (Physiological Psychology). I am considering applying to the University of Pittsburgh's Post Bacc program for next fall to help with the lower GPA, but there's not a guarantee I will get in. I am wanting my PhD in Clinical Psychology.

Overall GPA: 3.25

Research Experience: During my time in undergrad at WVU, I worked in a clinical psychology lab under a professor for 1.5 years. I did typical undergrad stuff like data entry, running the studies, etc. I was also a Ronald E. McNair Scholar and designed my own independent research project under the same professor with an idea that was unique and had very little prior research on it. I even recruited my own participants and applied for a student grant for funding. After graduating, I got a job working under a Psychiatry professor working as a Research Associate at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center/Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic. I am the primary RA on one of the studies in the lab and I'm responsible for analyzing fMRI data, running the study, and doing the structured clinical interviews for the DSM 5, the eating disorder examination, and a modified version of the WASI-II to screen participants for study eligibility. I also am the main IRB contact for all ongoing studies within the lab and am responsible for doing modifications, renewals, etc. If I do not get into the Post-Bacc program, I will stay in this lab for another year working full-time. If I get into the post-bacc program, I will still try and contribute to the lab as much as I can as a volunteer.

Poster/Symposia: I have two posters as the first and only author. The research that I did was more archival for the Women's and Gender Studies Department(my minor) and I presented both at the biannual WGST fair at WVU. I also have given two powerpoint presentation talks at symposia for the McNair Scholars Program. One at WVU where I defended my research proposal in front of McNair staff and WVU faculty members. The other at the University of Maryland where I presented the results of my study in front of faculty, McNair staff, and other McNair students. I am hoping to get more posters with the current lab I am in.

Publications: I do not have any publications yet, but I am hoping to get at least one in the lab I am working currently. I had to write a mock manuscript for my McNair research, but due to being sick, I never attempted to publish it. So that could also be a potential option in the future as well. The study itself did not go as smoothly as hoped because I did not get the funding necessary for the amount of participants I needed. However, I could still call it a pilot study and hope for the best with publishing.

As of right now, I'm not too certain which schools I am looking at, but I do know my research interests and am currently making a list of schools and professors that I feel would be a good fit. I have also not taken the GRE. With my low GPA, do you think the amount of research experience I have and potentially a good GRE score would help with the low GPA? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys. I have a bit of a situation that I feel needs a bit of explaining so I apologize that this might be a bit longer than most. When I first started undergrad, I ended switching my majors a bunch of times and the first year of college my GPA was like a 3.1. However, during my sophomore and junior year, my GPA ranged from getting 3.6's to 4.0. My senior year I got very sick and did terribly in both semester and it lowered my overall and major GPA quite a bit because I was in and out of the doctor so much. I ended up even failing a psychology course (Physiological Psychology). I am considering applying to the University of Pittsburgh's Post Bacc program for next fall to help with the lower GPA, but there's not a guarantee I will get in. I am wanting my PhD in Clinical Psychology.

Overall GPA: 3.25

Research Experience: During my time in undergrad at WVU, I worked in a clinical psychology lab under a professor for 1.5 years. I did typical undergrad stuff like data entry, running the studies, etc. I was also a Ronald E. McNair Scholar and designed my own independent research project under the same professor with an idea that was unique and had very little prior research on it. I even recruited my own participants and applied for a student grant for funding. After graduating, I got a job working under a Psychiatry professor working as a Research Associate at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center/Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic. I am the primary RA on one of the studies in the lab and I'm responsible for analyzing fMRI data, running the study, and doing the structured clinical interviews for the DSM 5, the eating disorder examination, and a modified version of the WASI-II to screen participants for study eligibility. I also am the main IRB contact for all ongoing studies within the lab and am responsible for doing modifications, renewals, etc. If I do not get into the Post-Bacc program, I will stay in this lab for another year working full-time. If I get into the post-bacc program, I will still try and contribute to the lab as much as I can as a volunteer.

Poster/Symposia: I have two posters as the first and only author. The research that I did was more archival for the Women's and Gender Studies Department(my minor) and I presented both at the biannual WGST fair at WVU. I also have given two powerpoint presentation talks at symposia for the McNair Scholars Program. One at WVU where I defended my research proposal in front of McNair staff and WVU faculty members. The other at the University of Maryland where I presented the results of my study in front of faculty, McNair staff, and other McNair students. I am hoping to get more posters with the current lab I am in.

Publications: I do not have any publications yet, but I am hoping to get at least one in the lab I am working currently. I had to write a mock manuscript for my McNair research, but due to being sick, I never attempted to publish it. So that could also be a potential option in the future as well. The study itself did not go as smoothly as hoped because I did not get the funding necessary for the amount of participants I needed. However, I could still call it a pilot study and hope for the best with publishing.

As of right now, I'm not too certain which schools I am looking at, but I do know my research interests and am currently making a list of schools and professors that I feel would be a good fit. I have also not taken the GRE. With my low GPA, do you think the amount of research experience I have and potentially a good GRE score would help with the low GPA? Thanks!
Unless you absolutely crush the GRE, you should probably look into a terminal master's program. That would help you get more research experience while demonstrating that you can perform academically at the graduate level.

Alright guys, I'm working on finishing up my applications and just want some honest feedback. Anything is appreciated!

GPA: 3.9
GRE:
161 V/ 157 Q

LOR: 2 very strong academic/personal characteristic from Professors, 1 decent from research advisor from respected research facility

Research Experience:
Fairly basic, but worked in 3 different labs. Collecting data/analyzing, doing extensive lit reviews, running participant, data management, using different software etc

2 internships
1 that wasn't in my field of study (but was very competitive and sounds impressive on the app i think)
1 that is at a big research facility, scoring neuropsychs/learning how to administer, learning how to use and analyze MRIs & Eye Tracking, lead to a poster and a paper in the works

Publishing: The only published work I have is an acknowledgement on a paper in my primary area of interest, and I have the poster/paper in the works from my current internship (neuropsych)
I think this will be my biggest deficit, but I do have a decent amount of research experience, just not compared to a lot of people... I'm hoping that I can show my versatility/ability to adapt to various areas of research and highlight my willingness to take opportunities to learn basics of research regardless if they are in my primary interest or not.

Schools:
PsyD: Rutgers, Baylor, IUP, Indiana State, University of Indianapolis, Roosevelt
PhD: UCONN, University of Utah, DePaul, WVU, UTSW Dallas Medical Center (Top Choice), University of Houston, and Sam Houston State

I'm hoping to be very competitive at the PsyD programs (maybe minus Baylor).. But do you guys think I have any shot at at least getting an interview at a PhD program?
Acknowledgements are worthless, because there's no stakes. You're either a co-author or you're not.

I'd drop the PsyD programs, if only because of the lack of funding. It's easy to convince yourself that not having full funding is fine or that taking on debt is minimally problematic, but that's just self-delusion. You might have a chance at some of those PhD programs, so it may be worth your while to apply anyways. Worst case is that you don't get in and are out some money, but you've gained experience (possibly even from interviews) and can reapply in a year or two after getting some more experience.

Also, be aware that DePaul's program is heavily community-focused. Even the child track is heavily geared towards a community developmental focus. If that's not to your liking and you can't make a good case for why you and your interests fit in with their orientation, I wouldn't apply.

Members don't see this ad :)

If you can perform very well on the GRE and maybe eke out a poster or something in the near future (and why not go ahead and submit that manuscript for publication??!), I think your chances could be boosted somewhat by fit and how you present yourself. Even doing well in these areas may not be enough to overcome your GPA for every program or faculty member, but I wouldn't say that it's totally futile to apply this cycle. It sounds like you'll be in a stronger position to apply next year after getting more research experience, but you still will have the issue of grades to contend with. If you don't mind spending the time and money on applications, it's worth a shot if you can find programs and mentors that are a clear, solid fit for you.

A research-oriented master's degree would be a logical Plan B.

Ah, I understand your point now. So even at schools like Widener University, University of Indianapolis, University of Hartford, etc, where research ins't a priority, the students are likely getting poor training? Why do students attend these programs then?

I know graduates of some of these schools who seem to be well respected clinicians. Last year my plan was to apply to PhD programs, but I believe they are a reach for me with my statistics, and I lost my enthusiasm for research. I loved doing my own independent research in an independent study, but the grunt work and repetitive tasks in all of my other research jobs drained the enthusiasm out of me. I do not believe I would be happy doing the kind of work that an RA in a professors lab does, for the large amount of hours that Ph.D. students seem to do. So I'm in a bit of a dilemna in program applications, as I do love neuroscience and psychology, and appreciate the research aspect, but don't have the passion for it necessary for a Ph.D. program. That is why I was advised to go the Psy.D. route, and I'm still a little conflicted.

I am not sure what constitutes priority but having attended a university Psy.D. program (not Rutgers or Baylor) my research experience/training was pretty identical to those in most of the NYC Clinical Ph.D. programs (maybe more but those are the ones I can speak to).

Reactions: 1 user
Furthermore, I do understand the differences between PsyD and PhD programs. I mainly am not applying to PhD programs because I do not want to do research in graduate school. I am willing to do research next year and apply for a Ph.D. program next year if I do not get into a funded Psy.D. this year.

Research is a cornerstone of doctoral training. If you aren’t interested in doing it, then doctoral training will not be a good fit for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Acknowledgements are worthless, because there's no stakes. You're either a co-author or you're not.

I'd drop the PsyD programs, if only because of the lack of funding. It's easy to convince yourself that not having full funding is fine or that taking on debt is minimally problematic, but that's just self-delusion. You might have a chance at some of those PhD programs, so it may be worth your while to apply anyways. Worst case is that you don't get in and are out some money, but you've gained experience (possibly even from interviews) and can reapply in a year or two after getting some more experience.

Also, be aware that DePaul's program is heavily community-focused. Even the child track is heavily geared towards a community developmental focus. If that's not to your liking and you can't make a good case for why you and your interests fit in with their orientation, I wouldn't apply.

All of the PsyD programs I listed have good funding. Most have guaranteed half tuition remission - several offer full tuition remission esp for students from minority backgrounds (which I fit under).
I wanted to pick both PhD and PsyD because I feel I will be pretty competitive among those PsyD programs and they all have 100% APA match rates and they emphasize research as part of the program, which I think is incredibly important.
Ultimately, I'm okay with going in ~20k of debt (which would be the max from any of those PsyD programs with the funding) if it means starting my doctorate next year at a program that is a good fit for me.
If I get into a PhD program - obviously I would accept that offer over a PsyD, but I want to keep my options open.

And yeah! I love that about DePaul. Thank you

All of the PsyD programs I listed have good funding. Most have guaranteed half tuition remission - several offer full tuition remission esp for students from minority backgrounds (which I fit under).
I wanted to pick both PhD and PsyD because I feel I will be pretty competitive among those PsyD programs and they all have 100% APA match rates and they emphasize research as part of the program, which I think is incredibly important.
Ultimately, I'm okay with going in ~20k of debt (which would be the max from any of those PsyD programs with the funding) if it means starting my doctorate next year at a program that is a good fit for me.
If I get into a PhD program - obviously I would accept that offer over a PsyD, but I want to keep my options open.

And yeah! I love that about DePaul. Thank you

I think you have a good chance of getting interviews and I would not worry too much about publications. Definitely look for opportunities to present your work at conferences, though. Your GRE could be higher, but if you invest the time into research that you would otherwise spend studying/retaking the GRE, I'd say it's worth focusing on your research.

Hi guys, I am completing my PhD applications and could use the input - mainly to reduce the jitters:

GPA = 3.68
PsychGPA = 4.0

GRE : V = 163 / Q = 159 / A = 3.5
Psych = 840 (or 99%)

2 very strong letter (one from main research mentor, one from professor who influenced me to pursue psychology and who I later was a TA for) + 1 strong letter (employer since 3 months)

Exp:
3 semester's TA
1 semester grader
2 years volunteer in undergrad lab: transcribing, coding, data entry, SPSS
3 months worked as RA for R01: recruiting, running experiments
3 months worked as RA for Lab with 2 R01s (current): recruiting, running assessment visit, psychophysiological assessment and scoring, psych battery, delivering computerized CBT

Research:
One paid (is pay relevant?) summer project ending in local poster
One Honors Thesis
one co-authorship in Psychiatry Research

PsiChi member
Won Undergraduate Research Award for 2017

Schools: UCBerkeley, UMD College Park, UNC-Chapel Hill, SUNY-Binghamton, Northwestern, UIC, UIllinois Urbana-Champaign, Rutgers (PhD),
UMBC, U of Georgia, U of Toronto, Wisconsin-Madison, Rochester

Thanks!

Hi!
I'm curious about my chances of getting into a Clinical Psych PhD program. I went to three schools before I finally graduated. I went to a local community college first where I tried to get into Nursing, and my gpa there is a 2.6. I then transferred to Grand Canyon University where I continued to strive for a Nursing degree, but wound up failing all my classes there my first semester, which was also my last semester there. I stayed out of school for a few years before returning to Western New Mexico University, where I majored in Psychology and minored in Criminal Justice. I took 66 credits there and got a 4.0 and graduated. I have very little research experience.

I know my cGPA (3.17) is awful, when you factor in all the colleges/universities I attended, but does the 4.0 gpa of my last 66 credits at WNMU matter? Would I have a chance of getting into say ASU, UNM, UofA, BYU, or University of Wyoming if I gained some research experience and got stellar scores on my GRE? Or do ya'll think I need to get a Masters in Psychology first? I could easily get research experience without the Masters, but I'm wondering if I still need to get a Masters anyway to balance out my awful cGPA of my undergrad?

The late improvement is promising, but you need more. You'll need >75%ile on the GRE sections and at least a year of research experience. Also, I'd be applying a lot more broadly. As for a masters program, if you are dead set on only those schools, it may be a better way, but you'd still need research experience and to rock the GRE. If you apply more broadly, you might be able to get by with 1-2 years of research experience, and hopefully some kind of product (poster or pub) from it.

I could easily get research experience without the Masters, but I'm wondering if I still need to get a Masters anyway to balance out my awful cGPA of my undergrad?

Not necessarily. But everything else in your application would need to be stellar, and you may need more than just one year of research experience depending on the time commitment you can provide, opportunities available for presenting your work, etc.

I would recommend that you apply more broadly, regardless.

Hello!

Submitted applications for Clinical Psychology Ph.D. programs on Dec.1. I'm extremely nervous about the review process. I need opinions from fellow applicants/ graduate students/ anyone who knows what they are doing. Below is a list of my stats and the places I've applied to. Please let me know if I will even be seriously considered by these schools.

------------

• International student from India, with a degree from a public university in the US: BS in Neuroscience, Minors in Biology and Psychology
  • Undergraduate GPA: 3.72
  • Have a semester of withdrawal due to health issues (indicated on my personal statement)
  • GPA scores: 165 Verbal, 162 Quantitative
  • Research interests: Etiology and Manifestation of trauma and PTSD. Interdisciplinary understanding of diagnosis and treatment related to PTSD
  • Research experience:
    • 1 year in research lab looking at immigrant children and how they adapt to society in the US
    • Currently working on senior honors thesis - "An Interdisciplinary Analysis of the Subjective Experience of Trauma and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder". Will be presenting this at a conference next semester.
  • Clinical experience:
    • Worked with adults with autism
    • Currently working as an autism therapist for children
    • Worked with people from disadvantaged backgrounds as an intern in India
    • Worked with people with long-term mental issues such as bipolar disorder and schizophrenia at rehabilitation program in Maryland
  • Research skills: SPSS, Systematic Review, Meta-analysis, other basic computer skills
---------

These are the places I'm applying to: (All the POI's are focused on trauma and I got replies from 6/10 people when I emailed them before submitting my applications)

• UC Berkeley*
  • Eastern Michigan
  • North Texas
  • Binghamton (SUNY)
  • Teacher's College, Columbia University
  • University of Delaware
  • University of Georgia
  • University of Tulsa
  • Northern Illinois University
  • University of Colorado Colorado Springs*
Starred are my top choices

Let me know if any of you have any questions!

<3

Members don't see this ad :)
Applied for Ph.D. Clinical Psych focus on developmental disorders, 13 schools, 2nd time applying. Ended up in a 2 year MS program that I will graduate from in May and will be ready to take the BCBA boards. Undergraduate GPA 3.42 with Psychology Honors, completed an Honors thesis. GRE 161/161/4. Recipient of two financial research awards, one from my undergraduate institution & the other was a national award. Two funded summer research internships at an IVY league institution mentored by an very well known professor. Two publications in prestigious journals, one was a research study where I was lead author & the other was a book review where I was the author. Masters GPA 3.96. Masters thesis in progress. Currently working as an intern at a facility for the developmentally disabled and working part time as a research assistant on a study related to my area of interest. Psi Chi & vice president of the psychology graduate program at my current university. 4 Letters of Reference, one from a very well known professor who has been my mentor, one from the director of my current program, one from an undergraduate professor and one from my current supervisor. Wasn't invited to interview last time around. What do you think my chances are and how can I improve my profile if I have to apply again? Thank you

Applied for Ph.D. Clinical Psych focus on developmental disorders, 13 schools, 2nd time applying. Ended up in a 2 year MS program that I will graduate from in May and will be ready to take the BCBA boards. Undergraduate GPA 3.42 with Psychology Honors, completed an Honors thesis. GRE 161/161/4. Recipient of two financial research awards, one from my undergraduate institution & the other was a national award. Two funded summer research internships at an IVY league institution mentored by an very well known professor. Two publications in prestigious journals, one was a research study where I was lead author & the other was a book review where I was the author. Masters GPA 3.96. Masters thesis in progress. Currently working as an intern at a facility for the developmentally disabled and working part time as a research assistant on a study related to my area of interest. Psi Chi & vice president of the psychology graduate program at my current university. 4 Letters of Reference, one from a very well known professor who has been my mentor, one from the director of my current program, one from an undergraduate professor and one from my current supervisor. Wasn't invited to interview last time around. What do you think my chances are and how can I improve my profile if I have to apply again? Thank you

Experiences and stats look good, except the meh undergrad GPA. What changed since you applied in the first go round, exactly? And, how broadly did you apply for grad programs?

Experiences and stats look good, except the meh undergrad GPA. What changed since you applied in the first go round, exactly? And, how broadly did you apply for grad programs?
My graduate GPA, my practicium experience, I completed my undergraduate thesis with honors & actually brought the undergraduate GPA up to the 3.4 and received psych honors. Also have been working on a masters thesis & working part time as a RA.

My graduate GPA, my practicium experience, I completed my undergraduate thesis with honors & actually brought the undergraduate GPA up to the 3.4 and received psych honors. Also have been working on a masters thesis & working part time as a RA.
All that sounds great. Now it's really up to what your references wrote in their recommendations, what you wrote in your personal statement, "fit" between you, your POIs, and their labs, and how you compare on all of these to your competition. Those are much more complex and nuanced things than we can really evaluate here.

Good luck!

All that sounds great. Now it's really up to what your references wrote in their recommendations, what you wrote in your personal statement, "fit" between you, your POIs, and their labs, and how you compare on all of these to your competition. Those are much more complex and nuanced things than we can really evaluate here.

Good luck!
One of my references is a world renowned leader in the field, my personal statement is tailored to each school and what I can contribute to their work.

Hey! I'd love some honest feedback. I'm 26 and will be graduating with my BS in Psychology and Human Services May 2018. I'm applying to Auburn's Counseling Psychology Ph.D. program (not your typical "specify a prof to work with" program - they also highly value clinical experience) and Georgia Southern's Clinical Psychology Psy.D. program. Both are fully funded. Also applying to multiple master's programs.

Undergraduate GPA- 3.61
Psych GPA- 3.7
Verbal- 154
Quantitative- 148
Analytical- 3.5

Clinical experience- 1.5 years of full-time work with an outpatient addiction treatment center. I work as the admissions/administrative coordinator but also independently run 5 groups/week (Relapse Prevention, Family Orientation, Trauma Recovery, Psychoeducation, Step Group, etc.) Have gotten weekly supervision. Participate in treatment team meetings for case-conceptualization. Utilize crisis intervention skills.

Research experience- 1 year as a research assistant in a clinical psychology lab within another university. Running participants, using Qualtrics, quantitative coding, etc. No posters or pubs.

Very strong letters of recommendation. 1 from research supervisor/primary investigator, 1 from a my psych professor, 1 from a supervisor at work. From what I saw, they wrote about my strong interpersonal skills, intellectual curiosity, responsible nature, and willingness to accept feedback. I waived my right to view these letters but a few showed them to me anyway.

Knocked my SOP out of the park, too.

Last edited:
Hi,

Hoping for some insight into my chances of acceptance to a doctoral program. I returned to finish my undergraduate degree after focusing on being a mom for many years. I graduated with a 3.98, member of Psi Chi, member of Phi Kappa Phi, Summa Cum Laude, etc
I have only a few months of research experience, as I was only back in school a little over a year to finish up. I was an undergraduate TA for almost a year though and helped redevelop several classes. GRE was 163 V, 153 Q and 4.5 A. I have taken the GRE only once so far. I don't think my Q will improve much on retake, as it's the anxiety of the time limit that does me in. I am actually great at math, Calculus was one of my favorite classes, but I am slow at it. Opposite on V, I had 10 mins or more left on each section, so that could improve a smidge if I slow down, but I don't think the math will.

I had 3 great LOR. Because of not wanting to relocate until my youngest graduates high school limited my application choices. My interest lies in forensic psychology. I applied to these programs and so far have an interview with GW's MA program next month. Have not heard from anyone else yet.

MA Towson Clinical Psych
MA GW, Forensic Psych
PsyD GW
PsyD Loyola
PhD Clinical Psych American
PhD Civilian Track Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences, Clinical Psych
MS Applied Psych U Balt.

Because I am older and want to go into clinical practice sooner than later, I think PsyD may be a good fit. Also, my small amount of research experience I know is not great. Anyone have any insight? Could being a more "mature" student work in my favor?
Standard spiel:
1. PsyD-clinical practice vs. PhD-research/TT dichotomy is a misconception at best and intentional propaganda at worst.

2. You're talking about maybe a one-year difference, at most, which can be at the cost of competitiveness for internships, post docs, and jobs.

3. Consider the debt involved in PsyD programs. GW is a whopping $45,000 per year and Loyola is $31,000 per year, so you're talking about >$100,000 in tuition alone.

4. Geographic limitations often sink even the most competitive applicants.

5. Terminal master's programs are different from doctoral programs. Consider the costs of those programs, what you actually want to do with the degree, and if and how those degrees will get you what you want. If you eventually want to go onto a doctoral program, consider the likelihood of these terminal degree programs getting you there.

Hi! I am having a difficult time figuring out my chances of getting into a PsyD program. If any of you could offer up your opinions on my status as a applicant, I'd greatly appreciate it. :happy: Taking a gap year so any advice on what to do with that year is also welcome!!

Academics
  • Florida State University
  • Graduating May 2018
  • 3.826 GPA
  • 3.673 Psych GPA. Only trouble spot in my academics below an A or B was a C I got in my Abnormal class. I retook the class later the next year (no grade forgiveness, just to prove that I knew the material) and got an A.
  • Approved Honors thesis and planning to apply for conferences/publications in Spring
  • Psi Chi member
  • Waiting to take the GRE in May

Research Experience
Undergrad research in developmental/cognitive lab
Volunteer in suicide clinical lab
Paid Lab Coordinator in clinical EEG lab for 1.5 years
Paper currently out for review

Clinical Experience
Administrating clinical interviews as lab coordinator
200 hours as a crisis counselor for Crisis Text Line

Applying to for Fall 2019 admission:
  • Nova Southeastern University
  • Roosevelt University
  • Palo Alto-Stanford Consortium
  • Long Island University, C. W. Post Campus
  • Loma Linda Univesrity
  • Pace University
  • Baylor University
  • Loyola University Maryland
  • La Salle University
Interested in working with severe anxiety in adult populations. Open to suggestions of any other schools to apply to. I am also considering applying to Masters in Mental Health Counseling and Clinical Psychology.

Just curious - have you considered applying to PhD programs? You’ve got some solid research experience and that coupled with a paper pending, (posters? any possible?), solids LORs, solid GRE scores... seems like it might be worth it to explore some POIs located at PhD programs, too!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I've considered it previously, but I'm really heavily focused on treating disorders and working one-on-one with individuals. I don't have much of an interest in research after my academic career, though I'm not opposed to research during graduate school.. are there any PhD programs that are less research-heavy? That's something I might look into if you think it may be worth it. I guess it wouldn't hurt to apply to both and just see what happens :happy:

I would look into what the actual difference is between a solid PsyD (like Baylor/Rutgers) and a solid PhD. There are some good PhD Programs that aren't fully funded and some find PsyD programs that are very expensive as well. However, a program that is going to give you solid training will most definitely require a dissertation (APA regulations) and significant research. What you do after is up to you and there are both PhD and PsyD programs who graduate more clinical alum. The idea that PhD's only graduate academics and PsyD's only graduate clinicians is a myth. So why not apply to several PhDs, especially since there are many more of those that are fully funded.

Finances honestly aren't the largest concern to me considering I have some GI bill assistance, though I would definitely prefer to live comfortably during my graduate training rather than struggling to make ends meet due to a lack of available funding/TAships. I'll definitely look into it. Thank you so much for all of your help! I definitely hope to build on my experience in the gap year and present posters in the upcoming semester. Given that I might try to apply to PsyDs and PhDs, does my current experience look like it's a good basis to get interest at solid programs? I'm not sure how high to shoot or if I'm competitive enough for those top programs.
Even if finances are not a concern, it is important to critically and objectively consider a program's EPPP pass rate (2016 data are available for all programs at Psychology Licensing Exam Scores by Doctoral Program - The Association of State and Provincial Psychology Boards). When one starts looking at actual data, it is readily apparent that most university-based PhD programs have higher pass rates on the EPPP; freestanding PsyD (and professional "PhD" programs) are much lower. The quality PsyD programs (e.g., Baylor, Rutgers, IUP, Widener, and a very few others) have pass rates comparable to PhD programs. While it is certainly possible to cherry-pick these data and find exceptions, those are the proverbial exceptions that prove the rule. The EPPP is not perfect (no test ever is), but one absolutely must pass it in order to work as a licensed psychologist. Why would anyone knowingly spend 5+ years (and a couple of hundred thousand bucks, because, let's face it, finances are indeed a concern for the vast majority of students) on a program with a pass rate below 80%?

Last edited:
I'll definitely start looking into those recent pass rates. I would hate to spend so much time and energy pouring myself into a program that doesn't give me the potential to become a licensed psychologist. Looks like I'll be leaning toward applying solely to those top-tier PsyD programs and then looking at EPPP rates for PhD programs (maybe more clinical science model programs?). Thank you for your help!
If you don't have an interest in research, you may not fit well in clinical science programs. You should look more into the different clinical program training models.

Another friendly WAMC poster here seeking guidance. :) I applied for fall 18 and have been so anxious.

uGPA:3.53 after this term, had a 3.48 when I applied
major GPA: 3.56
Junior/senior GPA: probably around a 3.8
qGRE: 154 (55%ile)
vGRE: 158 (80%ile)
aGRE: 4.5 (82%ile)

Research experience: Two semesters running participants/data collection, will have three full semesters upon graduation. I am currently a project leader for a new project we started this past semester, and so this past semester was a lot of working out kinks in the protocol; will begin fully running participants this upcoming semester. No pubs or presentations, unfortunately.

Clinical experience: Pretty much any time I had was spent gaining experience, sans a summer of marching drum corps between my freshman and sophomore year. Spent a semester shadowing an ABA therapist with a child client, a summer working in an oncology unit at a children's hospital, a semester serving as a play buddy at a Head Start program/doing play therapy with a client, semester volunteering at a hospital assisting nurses, and a summer working in direct care at an RTC for children.

LORs: Strong, one from my research mentor, another from a professor I have built a solid relationship with who now also assists in our lab, and another from my supervisor from the RTC.

SOP: Heavily revised multiple times by one of my psych professors and one of my english professors who loves editing personal statements, so I hope/believe it is strong. :) I hear so many different takes and opinions on SOPs

I had a really rough first semester with a GPA *well* below 3.0, but have since made above a 3.7 for four of my seven completed semesters. I hold a leadership position in Psi Chi and am president of our psychology club, as well as being in another honor society and was awarded a merit- and service-based scholarship for this year from my university's student foundation. Small, but I'm also a student member for APA. My GREs were not as strong as I had hoped for them to be to buffer my average GPA. All that being said, a dramatic improvement from my freshman year to now is clear as well as my effort to gain experience! I just hope it's enough! Graduating from a solid well-known and reputable university.

Applied to the following, all clinical Ph.D. unless otherwise stated:
Boston U., University of Houston, Southern Methodist University, UT Austin (school psych Ph.D.), University of Arizona, University of Memphis, Baylor (Psy.D.), Virginia Commonwealth University, UT Southwestern Medical Center

Applied to these programs based on fit with at least one professor in the program + geographic proximity to a hospital that serves children; I have a child clinical focus and I am hoping to study psychopathology in pediatric oncology patients, risk factors for pediatric oncology patients, effects of childhood trauma on health, how improving QOL and reducing stress in pediatric oncology patients could impact patient outcomes...

I will likely be applying to some MSW programs as well.

Last edited:
Another friendly WAMC poster here seeking guidance. :) I applied for fall 18 and have been so anxious.

Research experience: Two semesters running participants/data collection, will have three full semesters upon graduation. I am currently a project leader for a new project we started this past semester, and so this past semester was a lot of working out kinks in the protocol; will begin fully running participants this upcoming semester. No pubs or presentations, unfortunately.

Clinical experience: Pretty much any time I had was spent gaining experience, sans a summer of marching drum corps between my freshman and sophomore year. Spent a semester shadowing an ABA therapist with a child client, a summer working in an oncology unit at a children's hospital, a semester serving as a play buddy at a Head Start program/doing play therapy with a client, semester volunteering at a hospital assisting nurses, and a summer working in direct care at an RTC for children.

LORs: Strong, one from my research mentor, another from a professor I have built a solid relationship with who now also assists in our lab, and another from my supervisor from the RTC.

SOP: Heavily revised multiple times by one of my psych professors and one of my english professors who loves editing personal statements, so I hope/believe it is strong. :) I hear so many different takes and opinions on SOPs

I had a really rough first semester with a GPA *well* below 3.0, but have since made above a 3.7 for four of my seven completed semesters. I hold a leadership position in Psi Chi and am president of our psychology club, as well as being in another honor society and was awarded a merit- and service-based scholarship for this year from my university's student foundation. Small, but I'm also a student member for APA. My GREs were not as strong as I had hoped for them to be to buffer my average GPA. All that being said, a dramatic improvement from my freshman year to now is clear as well as my effort to gain experience! I just hope it's enough! Graduating from a solid well-known and reputable university.

Boston U., University of Houston, Southern Methodist University, UT Austin (school psych Ph.D.), University of Arizona, University of Memphis, Baylor (Psy.D.), Virginia Commonwealth University, UT Southwestern Medical Center

Applied to these programs based on fit with at least one professor in the program + geographic proximity to a hospital that serves children; I have a child clinical focus and I am hoping to study psychopathology in pediatric oncology patients, risk factors for pediatric oncology patients, effects of childhood trauma on health, how improving QOL and reducing stress in pediatric oncology patients could impact patient outcomes...

You probably came here just for reassurance that your chances are good, but, honestly, you should continue doing research and be looking for an RA job before you graduate. While your cumulative GPA does have an upward trajectory, it's still not great and your psych GPA isn't fantastic either. As you note, your GRE scores didn't really make up for them either.

The real issue, though, is your lack of research experience. From what you have written, it sounds like you just have two semesters of grunt work. That's really not enough to make you competitive for most programs. It would have been better for you to get more research experience instead of the "clinical" experience.

You probably came here just for reassurance that your chances are good, but, honestly, you should continue doing research and be looking for an RA job before you graduate. While your cumulative GPA does have an upward trajectory, it's still not great and your psych GPA isn't fantastic either. As you note, your GRE scores didn't really make up for them either.

The real issue, though, is your lack of research experience. From what you have written, it sounds like you just have two semesters of grunt work. That's really not enough to make you competitive for most programs. It would have been better for you to get more research experience instead of the "clinical" experience.

Actually I just wanted genuine feedback just as most on here, not fishing. ;) I have started looking in to some jobs as well as MSW programs. Thanks for the feedback!

Actually I just wanted genuine feedback just as most on here, not fishing. ;) I have started looking in to some jobs as well as MSW programs. Thanks for the feedback!
I wasn't saying that in a derogatory manner at all. Application season is an anxious time and it's understandable to sell some kind of reassurance. I just phrased it the way I did because you posted it after applications have been submitted and therefore there's nothing left to be done or changed for this chuckles.

As for the MSW stuff, you mentioned that earlier and it makes me question what your goals are. MSW is a very different career path from a doctorate in clinical psychology and the former doesn't necessarily lend itself to improving your competitiveness for the latter.

A terminal masters in experimental or clinical psychology would be more helpful to you getting into a doctoral program later on. Your stats are not bad by any means, so a terminal master's degree isn't essential. Getting some good research experience, especially with pubs or posters is what will help you the most.

What are your career goals?
I can't speak to the PsyD and school psych program, but for the others, the main two problems I see are lack of advanced research experience and low quant GRE. I agree with @psych.meout - keep your eyes peeled for post-bacc RA jobs in case this doesn't work out this round.

First time poster, I have submitted applications to clinical psychology PhD programs but am not hopeful. Looking what to do to improve my chances next year.
My undergrad degree is in biology and my master's in biomolecules science (neuroscience based thesis). In the last year I've decided to switch to clinical neuropsychology.
Undergrad GPA: 3.03 (I was very unmotivated at the time)
Grad GPA: 3.8
GREs: V 164 Q157
Psych GRE: 690
I have 3 years neuroscience research experience (master's thesis) and 1 year pharmacology internship at an ivy league school. What should I do to be more competitive next year?

First time poster, I have submitted applications to clinical psychology PhD programs but am not hopeful. Looking what to do to improve my chances next year.
My undergrad degree is in biology and my master's in biomolecules science (neuroscience based thesis). In the last year I've decided to switch to clinical neuropsychology.
Undergrad GPA: 3.03 (I was very unmotivated at the time)
Grad GPA: 3.8
GREs: V 164 Q157
Psych GRE: 690
I have 3 years neuroscience research experience (master's thesis) and 1 year pharmacology internship at an ivy league school. What should I do to be more competitive next year?
Do you have any products, e.g., pubs and posters, from your research?

Have you taken any psychology courses, as your undergrad and grad degrees aren't in psychology?

Have you taken any psychology course

Have you taken any psychology courses, as your undergrad and grad degrees aren't in psychology?
I have taken about 12 or 15 psych credit 3 are grad school level. I have 3 or 4 poster presentations and will have my name on a paper in the next few months (my master's program wasn't very research oriented but it was completely free since a relative worked at the school).

I have taken about 12 or 15 psych credit 3 are grad school level. I have 3 or 4 poster presentations and will have my name on a paper in the next few months (my master's program wasn't very research oriented but it was completely free since a relative worked at the school).
That all sounds quite good and you've definitely done a lot of things right, especially to overcome your undergrad GPA. It may not be sufficient for certain doctoral programs that have hard cutoffs for undergrad GPAs, but if you apply broadly, get stellar recommendation letters, write fantastic personal statements, match well with programs and POIs, and interview well, you probably have a good shot.

That all sounds quite good and you've definitely done a lot of things right, especially to overcome your undergrad GPA. It may not be sufficient for certain doctoral programs that have hard cutoffs for undergrad GPAs, but if you apply broadly, get stellar recommendation letters, write fantastic personal statements, match well with programs and POIs, and interview well, you probably have a good shot.
Thanks, it's good to know that I'm not completely out of touch with reality.

Hey! I'd love some honest feedback. I'm 26 and will be graduating with my BS in Psychology and Human Services May 2018. I'm applying to Auburn's Counseling Psychology Ph.D. program (not your typical "specify a prof to work with" program - they also highly value clinical experience) and Georgia Southern's Clinical Psychology Psy.D. program. Both are fully funded. Also applying to multiple master's programs.

Undergraduate GPA- 3.61
Psych GPA- 3.7
Verbal- 154
Quantitative- 148
Analytical- 3.5

Clinical experience- 1.5 years of full-time work with an outpatient addiction treatment center. I work as the admissions/administrative coordinator but also independently run 5 groups/week (Relapse Prevention, Family Orientation, Trauma Recovery, Psychoeducation, Step Group, etc.) Have gotten weekly supervision. Participate in treatment team meetings for case-conceptualization. Utilize crisis intervention skills.

Research experience- 1 year as a research assistant in a clinical psychology lab within another university. Running participants, using Qualtrics, quantitative coding, etc. No posters or pubs.

Very strong letters of recommendation. 1 from research supervisor/primary investigator, 1 from a my psych professor, 1 from a supervisor at work. From what I saw, they wrote about my strong interpersonal skills, intellectual curiosity, responsible nature, and willingness to accept feedback. I waived my right to view these letters but a few showed them to me anyway.

Knocked my SOP out of the park, too.

I also think your research experience is on the low end to be competitive for clinical psych programs. A key question is to what extent you want your future career to include research and scholarship on these topics (from what it sounds like this is the case) versus providing clinical care alone. If the former, then it would definitely be worthwhile to stick it out longer and get additional research experience and then apply to clinical programs that include child clinical psych training. You don't need any more clinical or volunteer experience. What you need at this point is to become a valuable member of someone's lab or research team and attain authorships on presentations and/or publications.

Social work has a strong foothold in the oncology world, but the day-to-day work of an oncology social worker and a psychologist don't overlap as much as you might think. Multiple MSW colleagues in medical settings have expressed to me their desire to have had more training in psychotherapy going into their first jobs. The typical job for a social worker in a cancer center includes a lot of medical social work, even if there is an expectation to provide counseling/clinical intervention.

This is my first post on the forum (though I have been reading as a non-member for awhile). I'd like some guidance on my chances and I have a few questions. I'm a psych major / sociology minor undergrad at University of Nebraska Kearney.

Interested in applying to Clinical Psych programs with interest in Neuropsychology.
Undergrad GPA: Currently 3.91 , expect it to be higher upon graduation.
GRE: I have not taken the GRE. I plan to take it in the summer, and again in the fall before graduate applications if I need to try for a better score.

Research Experience: One joint research project in social psychology last semester. I'm conducting an independent research project with my social psychology professor this semester and plan to present it at a conference. I also presented a sociology literature review paper at a conference last semester and won first place in the paper competition. And I should have time to fit in more psychology research experience during the fall 2018 semester.

Recommendations: I know that I have at least 2 options for good letters of recommendation from Psychology professors and 2 options for good letters of recommendation from Sociology professors, all based on research skills.

Internships/Experience: I don't have much "clinical experience". I was told by my advisors that it's fairly moot as an undergrad. I did volunteer at a homeless shelter for one semester. I do plan to look for an internship over the summer.

Research internships seem hard to find in my area. Any ideas on how I can get more research experience than I will already have in this situation? Also, since I am a psychology major, should I take the Psychology Subject portion of the GRE? I was told that it's unnecessary. Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

This is my first post on the forum (though I have been reading as a non-member for awhile). I'd like some guidance on my chances and I have a few questions. I'm a psych major / sociology minor undergrad at University of Nebraska Kearney.

Interested in applying to Clinical Psych programs with interest in Neuropsychology.
Undergrad GPA: Currently 3.91 , expect it to be higher upon graduation.
GRE: I have not taken the GRE. I plan to take it in the summer, and again in the fall before graduate applications if I need to try for a better score.

Research Experience: One joint research project in social psychology last semester. I'm conducting an independent research project with my social psychology professor this semester and plan to present it at a conference. I also presented a sociology literature review paper at a conference last semester and won first place in the paper competition. And I should have time to fit in more psychology research experience during the fall 2018 semester.

Recommendations: I know that I have at least 2 options for good letters of recommendation from Psychology professors and 2 options for good letters of recommendation from Sociology professors, all based on research skills.

Internships/Experience: I don't have much "clinical experience". I was told by my advisors that it's fairly moot as an undergrad. I did volunteer at a homeless shelter for one semester. I do plan to look for an internship over the summer.

Research internships seem hard to find in my area. Any ideas on how I can get more research experience than I will already have in this situation? Also, since I am a psychology major, should I take the Psychology Subject portion of the GRE? I was told that it's unnecessary. Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

I would focus on research for the summer, as opposed to clinical, if you are looking to apply to phd programs. I'll let more senior people reply as to your chances.

As for the psych gre, you should start (now) looking at professors/schools studying topics that match your research interests. As you start to narrow your list, look that the admission requirements for each school. Depending on how long your list is, I'd say there's a 50/50 chance of needing to take it. It doesn't hurt to take it though--I know of someone who had a professor they loved but thought wasn't taking students actually be able to take a student last minute, but the student couldn't apply because they hadn't taken the psych gre.

Hey all!

This is my first post.

I applied this cycle to 12 programs.

Stats:
UGrad GPA : 3.80 Psych GPA: 3.98
GRE: 161 (Q), 157 (V), 6.0 (AWA)
Research: 6 years, 2 years full time, 2 publications as first author under review, 2 as a contributing author, a senior thesis that was entirely designed by me, 13 Posters
Teaching: Teacher's assistant for a year as an undergraduate
4 strong letters of rec.

Will my GRE scores kick me in the butt?

Hey all!

Will my GRE scores kick me in the butt?

It shouldn't, unless you only applied to the most extremely competitive programs. they could be a touch higher, but they look to be above most cutoffs. In general the GPA looks good and you look to have good research experience/production. I'd say the numbers of the app look pretty good. It'll all come down to where you applied, the fit at those places, and the interviews at this point

It shouldn't, unless you only applied to the most extremely competitive programs. they could be a touch higher, but they look to be above most cutoffs. In general the GPA looks good and you look to have good research experience/production. I'd say the numbers of the app look pretty good. It'll all come down to where you applied, the fit at those places, and the interviews at this point
Thank you for your feedback :)

I would focus on research for the summer, as opposed to clinical, if you are looking to apply to phd programs. I'll let more senior people reply as to your chances.

As for the psych gre, you should start (now) looking at professors/schools studying topics that match your research interests. As you start to narrow your list, look that the admission requirements for each school. Depending on how long your list is, I'd say there's a 50/50 chance of needing to take it. It doesn't hurt to take it though--I know of someone who had a professor they loved but thought wasn't taking students actually be able to take a student last minute, but the student couldn't apply because they hadn't taken the psych gre.
Thanks for your feedback. I will definitely talk to my professor about getting research experience over the summer, especially if I can get any kind of clinical research experience, as that's something I haven't done anything with. I previously thought I wanted to go into social psychology. Will it look strange if my research focus as an undergrad doesn't necessarily align with what I'm interested in for grad school?

Thanks for your feedback. I will definitely talk to my professor about getting research experience over the summer, especially if I can get any kind of clinical research experience, as that's something I haven't done anything with. I previously thought I wanted to go into social psychology. Will it look strange if my research focus as an undergrad doesn't necessarily align with what I'm interested in for grad school?
It's more about how you sell yourself in your personal statements and interviews. Even if you haven't done much clinical research, you could still discuss how what you have actually done relates to what you want to do in grad school. E.g., if you worked in a cognitive psychology lab, you could mention that it shifted your clinical interests towards cognitive dysfunction in various forms of psychopathology.

Hi everyone! This is my first ever time posting on here, after painstakingly reviewing just about everything on this website :)

I'm a current undergrad senior who just applied to 8 PsyD programs (Loyola, UIndy, IUP, University of Denver, LaSalle, Widener, Wright State, Xavier). My advisor seemed pretty confident in my ability to get into a program if I applied now, but after not yet hearing back from any programs (aside from UIndy, who informed that while they were impressed with my application, there were no spots for their January interview date, and they would let me know if they had a spot for me for their Feb interview date) I'm beginning to get very nervous. Would love reassurance if possible, but also advice for how to improve my application for next cycle if that is what this comes to. Also, I know my decision to apply solely to PsyDs was an expensive decision, but I am fortunate enough to have my grad school paid for, so possible debt accruement is not a concern at this moment.

Academics:
General GPA: 3.77 (3.79 now)
Psychology GPA: 3.77
GRE (blah- I know these are bad): V:157(76th percentile) Q:147(27th percentile) AW:4.0(60th percentile)
In an academic honors society as well as Psi Chi, work at my school's writing center, top 12% of my class, and have been on Dean's List every semester except for 1.

Clinical experience
:
  • Shadowed at an acute adult intake floor for a few weeks. Observed group therapy, observed case hearings, and assisted in writing case notes.
  • Interned at a residential treatment facility where I observed group therapy again, attended treatment team meetings, helped with case notes, and sometimes aided in facilitating the group therapy (helped the patients 1:1, was sometimes able to ask questions etc.).
  • Direct care aide for children with autism (honestly basically glorified babysitting but still some experience).

Research experience:
  • Completed an independent study this semester writing a literature review about the efficacy of Early Intensive Behavioral Interventions for children with Autism.
  • Worked as a research assistant for a professor one semester where I scheduled participants, ran the lab, collected all of the data, and matched data to corresponding participant (but no real hands on SPSS work).
  • I go to a small college, so there isn't much opportunity for research. However, the classes are extremely research focused, and I do have knowledge of designing my own scale, running SPSS etc and could talk at length about two research studies I completed for class (even though I know this doesn't count for much).

LOR: Extremely strong. 2 from professors who know me extremely well and who I have done well in their classes, and one from my RTF supervisor.

SOP: Feel very confident, and mentioned a specific professor I would be interesting in working with at each school due to my clinical and research interests.

I know my GRE scores are mediocre at best, and terrible at worst (That Q... ugh). I studied sooo hard for the GRE and still managed to do poorly. I am not a good standardized test taker, never have been. For instance, my AW is only 60th percentile, but I was selected to work at my school's writing center and one of my LOR professors asked to use one of my papers as an example of scientific writing for her classes. I really hope schools take a look at my whole application and realize these scores don't match up, but I would not be surprised if they're the nail in my coffin.

I am confident in my interview abilities, but am nervous that I won't even get the chance to interview. If I don't get in this round, other than studying my butt off to raise my GRE scores, would you recommend more clinical or research experience for a PsyD? I was offered a full-time position at my RTF as a psychiatric aide, but wasn't sure if I should take that or focus on some research.

Thank you so much if you took the time to read this! Really means a lot to me.

Hi everyone! This is my first ever time posting on here, after painstakingly reviewing just about everything on this website :)

I'm a current undergrad senior who just applied to 8 PsyD programs (Loyola, UIndy, IUP, University of Denver, LaSalle, Widener, Wright State, Xavier). My advisor seemed pretty confident in my ability to get into a program if I applied now, but after not yet hearing back from any programs (aside from UIndy, who informed that while they were impressed with my application, there were no spots for their January interview date, and they would let me know if they had a spot for me for their Feb interview date) I'm beginning to get very nervous. Would love reassurance if possible, but also advice for how to improve my application for next cycle if that is what this comes to. Also, I know my decision to apply solely to PsyDs was an expensive decision, but I am fortunate enough to have my grad school paid for, so possible debt accruement is not a concern at this moment.

Academics:
General GPA: 3.77 (3.79 now)
Psychology GPA: 3.77
GRE (blah- I know these are bad): V:157(76th percentile) Q:147(27th percentile) AW:4.0(60th percentile)
In an academic honors society as well as Psi Chi, work at my school's writing center, top 12% of my class, and have been on Dean's List every semester except for 1.

Clinical experience
:
  • Shadowed at an acute adult intake floor for a few weeks. Observed group therapy, observed case hearings, and assisted in writing case notes.
  • Interned at a residential treatment facility where I observed group therapy again, attended treatment team meetings, helped with case notes, and sometimes aided in facilitating the group therapy (helped the patients 1:1, was sometimes able to ask questions etc.).
  • Direct care aide for children with autism (honestly basically glorified babysitting but still some experience).

Research experience:
  • Completed an independent study this semester writing a literature review about the efficacy of Early Intensive Behavioral Interventions for children with Autism.
  • Worked as a research assistant for a professor one semester where I scheduled participants, ran the lab, collected all of the data, and matched data to corresponding participant (but no real hands on SPSS work).
  • I go to a small college, so there isn't much opportunity for research. However, the classes are extremely research focused, and I do have knowledge of designing my own scale, running SPSS etc and could talk at length about two research studies I completed for class (even though I know this doesn't count for much).

LOR: Extremely strong. 2 from professors who know me extremely well and who I have done well in their classes, and one from my RTF supervisor.

SOP: Feel very confident, and mentioned a specific professor I would be interesting in working with at each school due to my clinical and research interests.

I know my GRE scores are mediocre at best, and terrible at worst (That Q... ugh). I studied sooo hard for the GRE and still managed to do poorly. I am not a good standardized test taker, never have been. For instance, my AW is only 60th percentile, but I was selected to work at my school's writing center and one of my LOR professors asked to use one of my papers as an example of scientific writing for her classes. I really hope schools take a look at my whole application and realize these scores don't match up, but I would not be surprised if they're the nail in my coffin.

I am confident in my interview abilities, but am nervous that I won't even get the chance to interview. If I don't get in this round, other than studying my butt off to raise my GRE scores, would you recommend more clinical or research experience for a PsyD? I was offered a full-time position at my RTF as a psychiatric aide, but wasn't sure if I should take that or focus on some research.

Thank you so much if you took the time to read this! Really means a lot to me.
If it makes you feel better, I know Loyola hasn’t extended invites yet. I applied there as well. They told me they plan to do invites in about 2 weeks. I didn’t apply to any of the other programs you mentioned, but all of the other ones I applied to have later interviews than a lot of programs. I know a few have told me they are notifying at the end of this month. Hope that helps a bit!

Anyone applying to Auburn's Counseling Psychology, or GA Southern's PsyD program?

I posted above, would really appreciate if someone could take a look!

It's more about how you sell yourself in your personal statements and interviews. Even if you haven't done much clinical research, you could still discuss how what you have actually done relates to what you want to do in grad school. E.g., if you worked in a cognitive psychology lab, you could mention that it shifted your clinical interests towards cognitive dysfunction in various forms of psychopathology.

That makes sense. I had one more question come to mind as I was looking through PhD programs and professor's research interests. When applying to clinical psychology programs, is it pretty much a given that you will do your research within clinical/applied psychology? Or is there some leeway in a lot of programs? For instance, doing developmental research with a developmental psychologist while studying clinical psychology, if that makes sense. I did find a couple of programs with overlap (e.g. cognitive developmental psychopathology labs), but not a lot so far.