This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If it makes you feel better, I know Loyola hasn’t extended invites yet. I applied there as well. They told me they plan to do invites in about 2 weeks. I didn’t apply to any of the other programs you mentioned, but all of the other ones I applied to have later interviews than a lot of programs. I know a few have told me they are notifying at the end of this month. Hope that helps a bit!
That does make me feel a little bit better! Thanks for letting me know. Good luck to you with your applications!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! This is my first ever time posting on here, after painstakingly reviewing just about everything on this website :)

I'm a current undergrad senior who just applied to 8 PsyD programs (Loyola, UIndy, IUP, University of Denver, LaSalle, Widener, Wright State, Xavier). My advisor seemed pretty confident in my ability to get into a program if I applied now, but after not yet hearing back from any programs (aside from UIndy, who informed that while they were impressed with my application, there were no spots for their January interview date, and they would let me know if they had a spot for me for their Feb interview date) I'm beginning to get very nervous. Would love reassurance if possible, but also advice for how to improve my application for next cycle if that is what this comes to. Also, I know my decision to apply solely to PsyDs was an expensive decision, but I am fortunate enough to have my grad school paid for, so possible debt accruement is not a concern at this moment.

Academics:
General GPA: 3.77 (3.79 now)
Psychology GPA: 3.77
GRE (blah- I know these are bad): V:157(76th percentile) Q:147(27th percentile) AW:4.0(60th percentile)
In an academic honors society as well as Psi Chi, work at my school's writing center, top 12% of my class, and have been on Dean's List every semester except for 1.

Clinical experience
:
  • Shadowed at an acute adult intake floor for a few weeks. Observed group therapy, observed case hearings, and assisted in writing case notes.
  • Interned at a residential treatment facility where I observed group therapy again, attended treatment team meetings, helped with case notes, and sometimes aided in facilitating the group therapy (helped the patients 1:1, was sometimes able to ask questions etc.).
  • Direct care aide for children with autism (honestly basically glorified babysitting but still some experience).

Research experience:
  • Completed an independent study this semester writing a literature review about the efficacy of Early Intensive Behavioral Interventions for children with Autism.
  • Worked as a research assistant for a professor one semester where I scheduled participants, ran the lab, collected all of the data, and matched data to corresponding participant (but no real hands on SPSS work).
  • I go to a small college, so there isn't much opportunity for research. However, the classes are extremely research focused, and I do have knowledge of designing my own scale, running SPSS etc and could talk at length about two research studies I completed for class (even though I know this doesn't count for much).

LOR: Extremely strong. 2 from professors who know me extremely well and who I have done well in their classes, and one from my RTF supervisor.

SOP: Feel very confident, and mentioned a specific professor I would be interesting in working with at each school due to my clinical and research interests.

I know my GRE scores are mediocre at best, and terrible at worst (That Q... ugh). I studied sooo hard for the GRE and still managed to do poorly. I am not a good standardized test taker, never have been. For instance, my AW is only 60th percentile, but I was selected to work at my school's writing center and one of my LOR professors asked to use one of my papers as an example of scientific writing for her classes. I really hope schools take a look at my whole application and realize these scores don't match up, but I would not be surprised if they're the nail in my coffin.

I am confident in my interview abilities, but am nervous that I won't even get the chance to interview. If I don't get in this round, other than studying my butt off to raise my GRE scores, would you recommend more clinical or research experience for a PsyD? I was offered a full-time position at my RTF as a psychiatric aide, but wasn't sure if I should take that or focus on some research.

Thank you so much if you took the time to read this! Really means a lot to me.

Just so you know - I know other people have posted interview invites from some of those schools (Widener) and I received my interview offers from UIndy and IUP and I think all of them already went out for IUP.
You applied to some of the better PsyD programs... Your GPA is good, but i think your lack of research experience coupled with your GRE scores MIGHT cripple your chances.
For reference my GPA is a 3.9; GREs V-161, Q-157, AW-4.5; and then lots of research experience, solid recommendations, and SOP.
I would definitely encourage you to improve your GRE scores like you mentioned, but I would focus on more research. IUP and UIndy are some of the more research focused PsyDs - you could also look into other PsyD programs like Rutgers, Indiana State, and Roosevelt to expand your chances next cycle.
I wish you the best of luck !

Anyone applying to Auburn's Counseling Psychology, or GA Southern's PsyD program?

I posted above, would really appreciate if someone could take a look!
I'm applying to Georgia Southern's PsyD Program! Haven't heard anything from them yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
That makes sense. I had one more question come to mind as I was looking through PhD programs and professor's research interests. When applying to clinical psychology programs, is it pretty much a given that you will do your research within clinical/applied psychology? Or is there some leeway in a lot of programs? For instance, doing developmental research with a developmental psychologist while studying clinical psychology, if that makes sense. I did find a couple of programs with overlap (e.g. cognitive developmental psychopathology labs), but not a lot so far.

Most programs match a student to a specific faculty member (or, less commonly, to two faculty members), and yes, it is expected that you would work primarily in their lab/research program. It's common for research interests to span across different areas, so one way of bridging the gap could be to work in your PI's broad area of interest (say, for instance, anxiety disorders) but bring a developmental perspective to your original research. It's very common for clinical research interests to overlap with developmental, social, or another area. Typically students in this situation would get some secondary mentoring from one or more faculty from the relevant other area, and those faculty would be on their thesis or dissertation committees. But your "primary" PI would be from your own area (i.e., clinical). Think of it from the faculty member's point of view. What would be the point of taking you on as a trainee if your intent was to do most of your research with another faculty member in a different area?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm applying to Georgia Southern's PsyD Program! Haven't heard anything from them yet.

Good luck! I'm so excited about this program!

Also a bit worried because my application still says my GRE scores haven't been received- I sent them months ago!

Hey! I'd love some honest feedback. I'm 26 and will be graduating with my BS in Psychology and Human Services May 2018. I'm applying to Auburn's Counseling Psychology Ph.D. program (not your typical "specify a prof to work with" program - they also highly value clinical experience) and Georgia Southern's Clinical Psychology Psy.D. program. Both are fully funded. Also applying to multiple master's programs.

Undergraduate GPA- 3.61
Psych GPA- 3.7
Verbal- 154
Quantitative- 148
Analytical- 3.5

Clinical experience- 1.5 years of full-time work with an outpatient addiction treatment center. I work as the admissions/administrative coordinator but also independently run 5 groups/week (Relapse Prevention, Family Orientation, Trauma Recovery, Psychoeducation, Step Group, etc.) Have gotten weekly supervision. Participate in treatment team meetings for case-conceptualization. Utilize crisis intervention skills.

Research experience- 1 year as a research assistant in a clinical psychology lab within another university. Running participants, using Qualtrics, quantitative coding, etc. No posters or pubs.

Very strong letters of recommendation. 1 from research supervisor/primary investigator, 1 from a my psych professor, 1 from a supervisor at work. From what I saw, they wrote about my strong interpersonal skills, intellectual curiosity, responsible nature, and willingness to accept feedback. I waived my right to view these letters but a few showed them to me anyway.

Knocked my SOP out of the park, too.

Hey! I'd love some honest feedback. I'm 26 and will be graduating with my BS in Psychology and Human Services May 2018. I'm applying to Auburn's Counseling Psychology Ph.D. program (not your typical "specify a prof to work with" program - they also highly value clinical experience) and Georgia Southern's Clinical Psychology Psy.D. program. Both are fully funded. Also applying to multiple master's programs.

Undergraduate GPA- 3.61
Psych GPA- 3.7
Verbal- 154
Quantitative- 148
Analytical- 3.5

Clinical experience- 1.5 years of full-time work with an outpatient addiction treatment center. I work as the admissions/administrative coordinator but also independently run 5 groups/week (Relapse Prevention, Family Orientation, Trauma Recovery, Psychoeducation, Step Group, etc.) Have gotten weekly supervision. Participate in treatment team meetings for case-conceptualization. Utilize crisis intervention skills.

Research experience- 1 year as a research assistant in a clinical psychology lab within another university. Running participants, using Qualtrics, quantitative coding, etc. No posters or pubs.

Very strong letters of recommendation. 1 from research supervisor/primary investigator, 1 from a my psych professor, 1 from a supervisor at work. From what I saw, they wrote about my strong interpersonal skills, intellectual curiosity, responsible nature, and willingness to accept feedback. I waived my right to view these letters but a few showed them to me anyway.

Didn't you already post this here?

Didn't you already post this here?

Yes. I did not receive any feedback, and people who posted after me did. I tried months ago as well, and did not receive any replies. My apologies if this is against the rules. Soooo very anxious about the application process - I've worked so hard for this but fell into some financial issues, and was only able to apply to a few doctoral programs. Perhaps my reassurance efforts have come across as pushy. I won't post again. :)

Last edited:
Yes. I did not receive any feedback, and people who posted after me did. I tried months ago as well, and did not receive any replies. My apologies if this is against the rules. Soooo very anxious about the application process - I've worked so hard for this but fell into some financial issues, and was only able to apply to a few doctoral programs. Perhaps my reassurance efforts have come across as pushy. I won't post again. :)
Not sure that this will be helpful feedback as I am applying myself, but a comparison is better than nothing right?

I'm applying to Georgia Southern with similar stats. 3.7 Undergrad and Psych GPA, 155V 156Q 4.0A, and over a year and half of experience administering neuropsych assessments full time. I still haven't heard from Georgia Southern, but I have an interview for another PsyD program with similar admissions stats so I am hopeful about Georgia Southern! Completely understand your anxiety about the process! I feel the same way. It seemed like a big factor for Georgia Southern's program was a willingness and desire to work with rural populations so I'm sure that will play into their decision. Best of luck!!

Not sure that this will be helpful feedback as I am applying myself, but a comparison is better than nothing right?

I'm applying to Georgia Southern with similar stats. 3.7 Undergrad and Psych GPA, 155V 156Q 4.0A, and over a year and half of experience administering neuropsych assessments full time. I still haven't heard from Georgia Southern, but I have an interview for another PsyD program with similar admissions stats so I am hopeful about Georgia Southern! Completely understand your anxiety about the process! I feel the same way. It seemed like a big factor for Georgia Southern's program was a willingness and desire to work with rural populations so I'm sure that will play into their decision. Best of luck!!

Thank you so much for your reply! And congrats on getting one interview so far. You'll do great! I've been accepted into 1 master's program so far, and have an interview with another one (GA State) at the end of this month. That being said, a master's is my backup.

I definitely made my willingness and desire to work with rural and underserved populations clear in my SOP. I didn't dedicate paragraphs or anything to it, though- I hope that will be okay!

Good luck to you!

Undergraduate GPA- 3.61
Psych GPA- 3.7
Verbal- 154
Quantitative- 148
Analytical- 3.5

If I were you....I would retake the GRE it if you don't get in because your quant score is low. I would also volunteer at a lab/produce a 1st-author poster before the next cycle. Last but not least, I would be applying to at least 10 schools per application round because the competition is fierce.

If you do not have it already, I recommend buying "Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology" which outlines a great overall strategy for applying, in addition to providing useful statistics of all of the schools. Good luck

Hi Everyone,

New to this forum and was hoping someone can chime in on this. I am currently studying Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness (MA) at NYU. I am working at a substance abuse outpatient clinic as an Intern and will be done in May this year. If all goes well I will be graduating with a 4.0GPA. I am then planning on working at a child welfare agency while getting ready to apply to PsyD programs in New York, Rutgers being my top choice. I am slightly older and my undergraduate degree is in political science, so I have had no experience in the field before starting my Master's Degree. I decided not to apply Dec 2017 and work for a year after graduating. I have no research experience, which I hear is not a must for PsyD's but was wondering if that is truly the case? Many of my classmates have said that it is almost impossible to get into Rutgers so I am starting to panic esp since English is not my first language and I am worried about my essay's, GRE etc. I know I have a lot of time but I am also a mom, so I am trying to plan accordingly and not get overwhelmed by the time applications are due in December.

Anyone here currently attending Rutgers or know anyone who applied to the clinical psych PsyD program and can give some feedback?

Many Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Rutgers clinical PsyD is a very competitive program (admissions data: https://gsapp.rutgers.edu/sites/default/files/doc/admissions_data_2015.pdf ) and they're going to want to see research experience. Is there any way you can connect with some of the NYU faculty while you're still there and volunteer as a research assistant?

It might be a good idea to take two years (or more) instead of one, add as much research experience to your CV as possible, earn outstanding letters of rec, study hard for the GRE, and apply when you have a really strong application package.

I'm also a mom and in my second semester of a doctoral program. You are smart to look ahead and plan out the application process for yourself. I spread the application process out over about two years (I already had research experience at the time I started), just because I knew I couldn't count on having the time and I didn't want to rush it or cut corners. I was very careful about the process because, as you know, life with kids is unpredictable. They get sick, there's a snow day, and suddenly a work day is lost. So you have to be very organized, start early, and leave yourself time for the unexpected. Good luck!

Yeah definitely would echo what the previous poster said.
Rutgers is a PsyD, but they are a heavily research focused PsyD - so I don't think it's likely to get in without research experience.

I applied for this upcoming cycle. Interviews usually go out in the next two weeks. I can let you know if I am offered an interview or not and give you my gpa/gre/resume so that you can judge..
But other than Baylor, Rutgers is the most competitive PsyD so it's hard for anyone to get into. I would suggest applying to at least a handful of programs to have a better shot!

Hi Everyone,

New to this forum and was hoping someone can chime in on this. I am currently studying Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness (MA) at NYU. I am working at a substance abuse outpatient clinic as an Intern and will be done in May this year. If all goes well I will be graduating with a 4.0GPA. I am then planning on working at a child welfare agency while getting ready to apply to PsyD programs in New York, Rutgers being my top choice. I am slightly older and my undergraduate degree is in political science, so I have had no experience in the field before starting my Master's Degree. I decided not to apply Dec 2017 and work for a year after graduating. I have no research experience, which I hear is not a must for PsyD's but was wondering if that is truly the case? Many of my classmates have said that it is almost impossible to get into Rutgers so I am starting to panic esp since English is not my first language and I am worried about my essay's, GRE etc. I know I have a lot of time but I am also a mom, so I am trying to plan accordingly and not get overwhelmed by the time applications are due in December.

Anyone here currently attending Rutgers or know anyone who applied to the clinical psych PsyD program and can give some feedback?

Many Thanks!

Mod Note: Merged into the WAMC thread.

Hey everyone, I hope this is the right thread..

Some background, I've graduated from community college, and am planning to start university this fall. It's taken me about 5 years to get my degree due to various life events, but I'm 100% back in the game now and plan to move forward at a regular pace.

Credits completed: 90

GPA: 3.93
sGPA: 4.0 (including psych classes)

GRE (expected to do well, or at least somewhat competitive)

Research (at community college):
- first semester designed my own survey related to poverty awareness, with help of my psych 101 professor. Presented on campus
- one year of microbiology research in lab, collecting live samples and performing PCR and DNA extractio. 2 posters off campus

Volunteering:
- 100 hours at food bank
- 4 years of tutoring, mentoring, and assisting students with mental disorders (autism, brain surgery patients, etc) ((done through the school and local churches / libraries)) (((does this count as a clinical as well?)))

Work:
- Military (1 year -- medical discharge)
- 3 food service jobs (1 year each)
- Private tutor (2 years)

LOR:
1 very strong from a social science professor / mentory who's known me 5 years
1 good / strong from science professor

EC:
- Amateur motorcycle racer
- Powerlifting
- Computer programming / app developer
- Creative writing (fiction)

Career interests:
- Clinician but still involved actively in research, if available.

Schools interested in:
- I really could use some direction here, as I have many research interests. I honestly don't think it will be difficult for me to find many programs I would love. My heart ultimately lies with underserved population, though suicide prevention is also very relevant, as well as anything related to perception, personality, beliefs, or disorders like major depressive and ASD....

Goals by summer '19:
- Work / volunteer at suicide hotline (something I've wanted to do for years, and is very meaningful to me)
- Find a professor to do research with at university, hopefully something related to clinical psychology.
- Build good relationship with someone at university who wants me to be a doctor, so they will want to write me a strong letter

- Lay the smackdown on the GRE
- Find out what I'm most interested in research-wise
- maintain GPA

How am I doing, and (roughly) what are my chances if I apply next year ?
I highly recommend purchasing the Insiders Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology to help you choose programs! It lists every school, their research and clinical interests, and admissions stats. They also rank how heavily research or clinically focused the programs are. It answered a lot of my questions as I was applying this year. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone, I hope this is the right thread..

Some background, I've graduated from community college, and am planning to start university this fall. It's taken me about 5 years to get my degree due to various life events, but I'm 100% back in the game now and plan to move forward at a regular pace.

Credits completed: 90

GPA: 3.93
sGPA: 4.0 (including psych classes)

GRE (expected to do well, or at least somewhat competitive)

Research (at community college):
- first semester designed my own survey related to poverty awareness, with help of my psych 101 professor. Presented on campus
- one year of microbiology research in lab, collecting live samples and performing PCR and DNA extractio. 2 posters off campus

Volunteering:
- 100 hours at food bank
- 4 years of tutoring, mentoring, and assisting students with mental disorders (autism, brain surgery patients, etc) ((done through the school and local churches / libraries)) (((does this count as a clinical as well?)))

Work:
- Military (1 year -- medical discharge)
- 3 food service jobs (1 year each)
- Private tutor (2 years)

LOR:
1 very strong from a social science professor / mentory who's known me 5 years
1 good / strong from science professor

EC:
- Amateur motorcycle racer
- Powerlifting
- Computer programming / app developer
- Creative writing (fiction)

Career interests:
- Clinician but still involved actively in research, if available.

Schools interested in:
- I really could use some direction here, as I have many research interests. I honestly don't think it will be difficult for me to find many programs I would love. My heart ultimately lies with underserved population, though suicide prevention is also very relevant, as well as anything related to perception, personality, beliefs, or disorders like major depressive and ASD....

Goals by summer '19:
- Work / volunteer at suicide hotline (something I've wanted to do for years, and is very meaningful to me)
- Find a professor to do research with at university, hopefully something related to clinical psychology.
- Build good relationship with someone at university who wants me to be a doctor, so they will want to write me a strong letter

- Lay the smackdown on the GRE
- Find out what I'm most interested in research-wise
- maintain GPA

How am I doing, and (roughly) what are my chances if I apply next year ?
Some work at a suicide hotline may be helpful, especially since it is related to long-term interests, but the issue with most clinical experience before grad school is that it quickly leads to diminishing returns. At that stage, you just don't have the experience and training to do the higher level work that is more amenable and impressive to grad programs. There are some positions at that level out there with more advanced responsibilities, e.g., psychometrist positions, but they are relatively few and far between compared to the number of people applying for grad programs.

You'll probably get better returns on your investments of time and energy if you focus more on getting clinically-oriented research experience. This will get you the requisite research experience while simultaneously working with clinical populations and issues. Furthermore, the more research work you do, the more likely it is that you will get posters and pubs from it. These research products are impressive in and of themselves, but they also offer opportunities to network with people in the field who might eventually become POIs for your eventual grad school apps.

Thanks =]

My plan was kind of to do both. I'm worried that if I don't do the hotline training though, over the next X years I will have to deal with a scenario where I am trying to help someone without any training again... and that is one of the worst feelings, when someone comes to you saying they want to do those things to themselves, and you just have to wing it in hopes of convincing them to get help, call a hotline or police... That's happened a few too many times to me... I really feel like I need to do this.

I don't have much going on this semester... just working and brushing up on some stuff for the fall. Will start sending messages to people at the university though, maybe I can get in on something early research related!

Crisis Text line is a good one to volunteer for. I volunteer with them.

Crisis Text line is a good one to volunteer for. I volunteer with them.

I also volunteered with Crisis Text Line before applying (and throughout my first year of a PhD program). I think you definitely want to make sure whatever you’re doing allows you to get experience but does not take away for more beneficial app boosters (read: research experience). CTL fit that role for me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks =]

My plan was kind of to do both. I'm worried that if I don't do the hotline training though, over the next X years I will have to deal with a scenario where I am trying to help someone without any training again... and that is one of the worst feelings, when someone comes to you saying they want to do those things to themselves, and you just have to wing it in hopes of convincing them to get help, call a hotline or police... That's happened a few too many times to me... I really feel like I need to do this.

I don't have much going on this semester... just working and brushing up on some stuff for the fall. Will start sending messages to people at the university though, maybe I can get in on something early research related!

Research experience will be crucial to strengthening your application for grad school. Get yourself into a research lab ASAP. This might take a little legwork on your part but the sooner you get started, the better. I also transferred as an undergraduate from a smaller campus to a large research university, and despite plentiful opportunities there I still had to knock on several doors before finding a match. Even if there is not a suicide prevention researcher on campus, you could find some related experience working for someone who studies depression, self-harm behaviors, underserved populations, etc. Good luck!

But now, after two years of not being a neurotic pre-med, and finally looking at class schedules for university, my mind starts drifting back to 6 years ago... when I had a simple goal of having that 45-55 minute of couch time, and devoting myself to being the best talker possible... before the prestige, pay, and flexibility that Psychiatry had to offer swayed me... and before studying bio, chem, and the like seduced me...

Is this path really that freaking unlikely to get in for someone like me? I'm a patient person, but it has been 6 years. I don't want it to be another 5 years with a near 4.0 and a CV as long as this post and still be wondering if I'll have a shot of getting that couch...?

thanks and /neuroticRamble
QUOTE]

What do you want to be doing on a day to day basis in your career? These are vastly different paths for the most part. As far as the prestige, neither really carries much of that once you're in the healthcare realm, so I'd let those dreams die a merciful death

I would talk to some people. In all of the hospital settings I've been in (VA, non-profit, private) psychiatrists do pretty much all med management. No therapy. You could do a cash only private practice and do med management and therapy if you'd want, but then you'd pretty much be giving up any chance at research as you won't have institutional affiliation and resources. Also, you don't really get training in research in med school or beyond. Unless you search it out on fellowship or something. If you go Clinical Psych, you could do therapy and research in certain settings. Both careers treat complex disorders. Sounds like you need to do some deep thinking about what you'd really want to be doing in your career, and what you'd be willing to live without before going on to the next step.

Well, getting in, is a challenge for both. Both options have diploma mills that you can get into as long as you can sign for a loan. But, for reputable schools, admission rates are pretty low. For most PhD programs, you're looking at 2-10% admittance rates. You've got plenty of time, so you should just be setting up to be able to do both if you want to keep your options open.

Would love to hear your thoughts on what I am missing to better prepare myself if this doesn't go so swell this year:

BA in Global Studies and Human Rights (3.78)
MS in Education (4.0)
Took Grad course in developmental psychology (4.0)
Took at least 12 credits of UG Psychology, including Psych Stats (4.0)
6 months of UG research experience
Master of Science thesis action research project
5 years working in Education/Civic engagement as an instructor, education administrator
Certified wilson reading tutor
6 months teaching in Cameroon

GRE: Verbal 159, Quant 150, A 6.0

Alas, as I do not have a undergrad background in psych, my subject score looks not so hot - 610. Not impressive

Applied to PCOM (accepted), Drexel, Temple, Northwestern (rejected), NYU (Counseling PhD), Georgia State, Widener

Should've applied to more schools...

I'm 29, so I am really not looking to delay too much starting a long program.

Would love to hear your thoughts on what I am missing to better prepare myself if this doesn't go so swell this year:

BA in Global Studies and Human Rights (3.78)
MS in Education (4.0)
Took Grad course in developmental psychology (4.0)
Took at least 12 credits of UG Psychology, including Psych Stats (4.0)
6 months of UG research experience
Master of Science thesis action research project
5 years working in Education/Civic engagement as an instructor, education administrator
Certified wilson reading tutor
6 months teaching in Cameroon

GRE: Verbal 159, Quant 150, A 6.0

Alas, as I do not have a undergrad background in psych, my subject score looks not so hot - 610. Not impressive

Applied to PCOM (accepted), Drexel, Temple, Northwestern (rejected), NYU (Counseling PhD), Georgia State, Widener

Should've applied to more schools...

I'm 29, so I am really not looking to delay too much starting a long program.

Uhhhhhh....?

You have an acceptance... congratulations, future Dr. DCDMB!

Uhhhhhh....?

You have an acceptance... congratulations, future Dr. DCDMB!
Haha thanks!
But my goal is really to be in a fully funded PhD program..so I suppose that's where I was aiming my question. But I appreciate it :)

Background:
I realized very late (senior year of college) that instead of an M.D in psychiatry I would like to pursue a PhD in clinical psychology. The biggest reason being, I would like to emphasize the psychotherapy/testing patients process of treatment rather than seeing the patient for 15 min and then prescribing medicine. While I understand that MD's in Psychiatry, who have private practices, can hold hour long sessions, I would like to focus on the behavioral portion of treatment and continue research as part of my education.

One major setback that is holding me back before applying to a Clinical Psychology program is my GPA. I am Bio psychology Major, minor in Japanese:

totGPA = 3.28 major GPA = 3.37 psych GPA = 3.71

My experiences include
  • 200 clinical hours (=140 in a neurology clinic + 50 in pediatrics)
  • President of two clubs and founder of one
  • 3.5 years of lab experience in a Neuroendocrinology lab ( 1 published paper, 2 posters, 1 undergraduate grant)
What are your suggestions in terms of how I can "make up" for my GPA? Post-bacc graduate level classes at university extensions ? A masters? ??? I also plan to take a year or two off to work as a research assistant/ technician - any opinions on that?

Background:
I realized very late (senior year of college) that instead of an M.D in psychiatry I would like to pursue a PhD in clinical psychology. The biggest reason being, I would like to emphasize the psychotherapy/testing patients process of treatment rather than seeing the patient for 15 min and then prescribing medicine. While I understand that MD's in Psychiatry, who have private practices, can hold hour long sessions, I would like to focus on the behavioral portion of treatment and continue research as part of my education.

One major setback that is holding me back before applying to a Clinical Psychology program is my GPA. I am Bio psychology Major, minor in Japanese:

My experiences include
  • 3.5 years of lab experience in a Neuroendocrinology lab ( 1 published paper, 2 posters, 1 undergraduate grant)
What are your suggestions in terms of how I can "make up" for my GPA? Post-bacc graduate level classes at university extensions ? A masters? ??? I also plan to take a year or two off to work as a research assistant/ technician - any opinions on that?
This is more appropriate for the WAMC thread, but the short answer is that a master's program is your best choice.

Background:

My experiences include

Mod Note: Merged into the WAMC thread

I agree with @Justanothergrad: I believe you're nearly competitive to apply for doctoral Clinical Psychology programs, pending your General GRE score. Generally on the GRE, you should aim to score a 155 on the Quantitative and Verbal sections each and a 4.0 on the Analytical Writing Section.

You had mentioned being a Biological Psychology major, so I don't think post-baccalaureate classes will be necessary. Your Psychology GPA is good as well. And regarding your overall GPA, you can perhaps address your average GPA in your Statement of Purpose (SOP) essay on your applications. I'm guessing that you may have struggled a bit with your pre-medicine classes, so perhaps you can explain in your SOP that you didn't feel that medicine was the right fit for your career interests, for example.

I also see that you have significant clinical and laboratory experience, which you should also emphasize on your applications since most Clinical Psychology doctorate programs are shifting towards an emphasis on biological science. However, I would recommend that you look into psychology research labs at nearby universities and see if you can become a research assistant for a year or two. As you may know, academic labs often have websites where you can read about ongoing projects, so that's where you should start looking. Reach out to the head researcher of the labs by email or phone, explain your situation, and see if they can get you in.

I hope this helps, and feel free to message me if you'd like more guidance :)

MOD NOTE: We are now going to have one thread for all of the inquiries for competitiveness, what are my chances, do I have a shot, can I get into ABC University, etc. Most of the other SDN forums have found success with having one thread, so we are going to adopt that going forward.

1. Please post your WAMC questions in here ONLY, as any outside thread will be combined with this one.

2. Do not make additional threads to ask about competitiveness for specific schools.

-t4c
Yeah definitely would echo what the previous poster said.
Rutgers is a PsyD, but they are a heavily research focused PsyD - so I don't think it's likely to get in without research experience.

I applied for this upcoming cycle. Interviews usually go out in the next two weeks. I can let you know if I am offered an interview or not and give you my gpa/gre/resume so that you can judge..
But other than Baylor, Rutgers is the most competitive PsyD so it's hard for anyone to get into. I would suggest applying to at least a handful of programs to have a better shot!

Hey! Thanks. Did you hear back?

I posted a couple of days ago and have since taken it to the heart to focus on getting some research experience before applying for a Psy.D. I however still plan to apply in the fall of 2018 and would love to hear if someone can tell me if they believe my research experience will be sufficient and how my chances might look in general. Planning on applying to 3 Psy.D programs (Rutgers (top choice), Yeshiva, CW Post).

Education:
Vordiplom (Used to be equivalent to Bachelor's but is now only equivalent to Associate's) in Political Science in Germany GPA: 2.9 (yep, I know.. pretty bad - scared this might be a deal breaker)
BA: Liberal Studies GPA: 3.9
MA: Counseling GPA: 4.0

Clinical Experience:
1 year experience as mental health counseling intern at substance abuse outpatient clinic
I will be looking into finding a part-time job (so that I can still do research) to begin in May so will have an additional 8 months of clinical experience by the time I apply (either private practice, community mental health center, child welfare agency etc.)

Research experience:
Just joined one research lab as a volunteer RA (11 months by the time I apply)
Planning on joining a second research lab as a volunteer RA one in May (8 months by the time I apply)
Possibly joining a third research project

Volunteer experience:
Crisis text volunteer
Founded post-partum support group

GRE's:
not taken yet

Yeah, I got interviews to all of my PsyDs except Baylor/Rutgers and one PhD!

Congratulations!! Would you mind letting me know how it went and what they asked? Also what is your clinical and research experience if you don't mind me asking? Good luck!!!! :)

I posted a couple of days ago and have since taken it to the heart to focus on getting some research experience before applying for a Psy.D. I however still plan to apply in the fall of 2018 and would love to hear if someone can tell me if they believe my research experience will be sufficient and how my chances might look in general. Planning on applying to 3 Psy.D programs (Rutgers (top choice), Yeshiva, CW Post).

Education:
Vordiplom (Used to be equivalent to Bachelor's but is now only equivalent to Associate's) in Political Science in Germany GPA: 2.9 (yep, I know.. pretty bad - scared this might be a deal breaker)
BA: Liberal Studies GPA: 3.9
MA: Counseling GPA: 4.0

Clinical Experience:
1 year experience as mental health counseling intern at substance abuse outpatient clinic
I will be looking into finding a part-time job (so that I can still do research) to begin in May so will have an additional 8 months of clinical experience by the time I apply (either private practice, community mental health center, child welfare agency etc.)

Research experience:
Just joined one research lab as a volunteer RA (11 months by the time I apply)
Planning on joining a second research lab as a volunteer RA one in May (8 months by the time I apply)
Possibly joining a third research project

Volunteer experience:
Crisis text volunteer
Founded post-partum support group

GRE's:
not taken yet

Can anyone advice on this please? Many thanks!

I wouldn't worry about your GPA from the "Vordiplom," because your undergrad and grad GPAs are so good.

Focus on doing well on the GRE and getting more research experience, but you should also be applying to significantly more than three programs to increase your chances of admission,as well as geographically diversify your application locations. You should also consider the financial costs of the programs you've chosen, as it's quite easy to accrue >$100,000 debt from tuition alone in the latter two. Maybe consider some more balanced, fully-funded PhD programs.

I think sticking to volunteering in two labs is sufficient – three labs might be overboard. More importantly, you'll want to get involved in contributing to papers, posters, abstracts, and presentations produced in these labs – make sure you talk to the head researcher in each lab to express your interest early on!

Congratulations!! Would you mind letting me know how it went and what they asked? Also what is your clinical and research experience if you don't mind me asking? Good luck!!!! :)

I sent you a private message.

I wouldn't worry about your GPA from the "Vordiplom," because your undergrad and grad GPAs are so good.

Focus on doing well on the GRE and getting more research experience, but you should also be applying to significantly more than three programs to increase your chances of admission,as well as geographically diversify your application locations. You should also consider the financial costs of the programs you've chosen, as it's quite easy to accrue >$100,000 debt from tuition alone in the latter two. Maybe consider some more balanced, fully-funded PhD programs.
Hi,

Thanks a lot! I did not think my research experience would be sufficient to apply to PhD's but I will consider it. Unfortunately I cannot apply anywhere outside of New York area because of my husband's job(which we will need more than ever during grad school :))

Quick question,

Should I even bother applying with a 3.0 GPA for a PhD program? I dropped out of high school then failed a whole year of college 10 years ago and I've had an upward trend ever since. Should I look into Master's Programs then try to apply to a PhD? I should note that my Psychology GPA is 3.8

Quick question,

Should I even bother applying with a 3.0 GPA for a PhD program? I dropped out of high school then failed a whole year of college 10 years ago and I've had an upward trend ever since. Should I look into Master's Programs then try to apply to a PhD? I should note that my Psychology GPA is 3.8
An upward trajectory is good, but you may be too low to directly go into a PhD program. A master's program with a thesis would be a great way to demonstrate you can handle graduate-level coursework while getting plenty of research experience.

An upward trajectory is good, but you may be too low to directly go into a PhD program. A master's program with a thesis would be a great way to demonstrate you can handle graduate-level coursework while getting plenty of research experience.

Thanks! I figured as much. Would really good GRE scores even affect my chances?

Thanks! I figured as much. Would really good GRE scores even affect my chances?
If you just killed it and had other really impressive stats (e.g., first-author posters and pubs) you might get admitted, but it's going to be a stretch.

Quick question,

Yes! I had a lower undergrad GPA than you and nearly 0 research experience when I applied. Given, 10 years had passed since undergrad, I excelled in a related career, and my GRE's were excellent. I think a key point was being able to articulate how lived experience informed my research & clinical interests. Feel free to pm if you'd like.