This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sorry you've been on the receiving end of some well-intentioned but bad advice. Here's what to do:

1. Try to get a volunteer research assistant role at a psychology lab, beginning this summer or at least next fall. If you do your homework you can probably find out what the "good" labs are. Who is getting undergraduate research awards or honors, and which labs are they involved in? Which labs include undergraduates on conference presentations? These are good things to find out before you commit to a lab. You may not be able to get involved in higher-level activities right away, but you also don't want to get into a lab that has a reputation for treating their RAs as data entry clerks and nothing more.

2. Looking beyond graduation, try to find a research coordinator position or similar paying job where you might have an opportunity to co-author conference presentations and publications. Exhaust every avenue, including your school's career services center, job boards, word of mouth, etc.

3. Do very well on the GRE.

4. Do clinical volunteer work if it is personally important to you AND you have time for it (ie, time left over after doing all of the above), but don't invest the time because you think it's going to help your application. This isn't like applying to medical school. You are allowed to be more focused in your interests.
Thank you very much for the advice as well, I already emailed several research labs to figure out if there are any openings and will continue with my Sociology reaearch for now (as it's too late to apply for the Summer). I do hope I can be a strong candidate, but I know I have not been doing as much as I could during these past three years.

Clinical work is really my only interest, but I know without research I am nothing to an admissions coordinater.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you very much for the advice as well, I already emailed several research labs to figure out if there are any openings and will continue with my Sociology reaearch for now (as it's too late to apply for the Summer). I do hope I can be a strong candidate, but I know I have not been doing as much as I could during these past three years.

Clinical work is really my only interest, but I know without research I am nothing to an admissions coordinater.

That's OK! You should still be a competent consumer of research no matter your career interests in the field. It's essential to know how we know what we know, if you know what I mean. ;) Good luck!

Hi everyone! I will be applying to clinical and counseling programs this Fall. Please see my stas and experiences below and let me know your genuine thoughts. Tough love needed LOL! Thank you!!! I will apply to 3-4 masters programs as backups, but I'm currently reconsidering applying to PhDs because I think my chances are slim...

Undergrad GPA: 3.85. I graduated in 3 years and currently on my gap year.

GRE: I haven't taken it yet, but I'll take it as many times as needed, so it won't likely to be an issue.

GRE Psych: 730/85thpercentile. I will probs take it again in October.

LORs: I will ask two PhD mentors from research labs who know me well and are in the same field I want to pursue in grad school. I'm still thinking about the third recommender.

Research experience: I've worked in 6 labs since 1st year of college. I had experiences in almost every aspect of research, and I had built great relationships with two mentors. But I have no independent research experience or senior thesis.

Presentations/publications: I presented at one school conference (oral presentation, 1st author) and one national conference (poster, 2nd author). I'm currently helping one mentor prepare posters and papers, so I might have more authorships before applying; however, I won't be 1st or 2nd authors on any of them.

Clinical experience: I volunteered at a psychiatric clinic for one year and interned at a pediatric clinic for six months. I'm currently working as an ABA therapist for kids with autism. My supervisor will likely write me a strong letter on my clinical skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I'm interested in applying for APA accredited Ph.D. counseling psychology programs and starting a program the Fall 2019 term. I'd like to team up with others interested in doing this so we can focus on preparing ourselves well and applying to programs that are likely our best fits. Rather than being scared at competing, I think we can help each other well by figuring out what the field of counseling psychology is about and getting ready to hopefully enter it! I searched this WAMC thread starting with posts from people in 2018 to find people interested in applying for Ph.D. counseling psych programs, and some people seem to be interested in just this while others seem to be interested in applying to other doctoral programs. Focusing on the Ph.D. counseling psych programs we want to apply for, @studentofthemind, @DCDMB, @PlatoPsychology, @Caps1001, and @Fiona18psych are you interested in teaming up? You can still apply for whatever other programs you want to apply for, too :)

I also started a thread called "Working Together To Apply For Grad Programs". @MalphasTheCrow and @freeprozac are also interested in applying for Ph.D. counseling psychology programs, and I'd love for you, @MalphasTheCrow and @freeprozac, to be part of this Ph.D. counseling psychology Fall 2019 admissions year team, too!

Am I missing anyone? Also, who else wants in? Joining is open. Anyone is free to join or leave at anytime. We can communicate via SDN public posts, personal messages, Facebook, email, anything we want.

Thanks,
Sharewithme

Hi everyone! I will be applying to clinical and counseling programs this Fall. Please see my stas and experiences below and let me know your genuine thoughts. Tough love needed LOL! Thank you!!! I will apply to 3-4 masters programs as backups, but I'm currently reconsidering applying to PhDs because I think my chances are slim...

Undergrad GPA: 3.85. I graduated in 3 years and currently on my gap year.

GRE: I haven't taken it yet, but I'll take it as many times as needed, so it won't likely to be an issue.

GRE Psych: 730/85thpercentile. I will probs take it again in October.

LORs: I will ask two PhD mentors from research labs who know me well and are in the same field I want to pursue in grad school. I'm still thinking about the third recommender.

Research experience: I've worked in 6 labs since 1st year of college. I had experiences in almost every aspect of research, and I had built great relationships with two mentors. But I have no independent research experience or senior thesis.

Presentations/publications: I presented at one school conference (oral presentation, 1st author) and one national conference (poster, 2nd author). I'm currently helping one mentor prepare posters and papers, so I might have more authorships before applying; however, I won't be 1st or 2nd authors on any of them.

Clinical experience: I volunteered at a psychiatric clinic for one year and interned at a pediatric clinic for six months. I'm currently working as an ABA therapist for kids with autism. My supervisor will likely write me a strong letter on my clinical skills.

You're doing OK. Definitely apply this fall. Look for faculty who are a strong research fit. Try not to limit yourself too much geographically. Other thoughts:

1. You've had a variety of research experiences, but do you have a record of progressively more responsible/autonomous work as an RA? Can you tell a story about your research experiences that relates to your reasons for seeking a PhD? Can you contribute to a manuscript in preparation at the level of an author? If you haven't talked to your PI/lab supervisor recently about this, now's the time. I wouldn't worry too much at this point about "independent" research experience, but if you have an opportunity to take on a larger role in the project, now's the time to act on it.

2. Don't bother retaking the psych GRE. Very few programs care about it. Focus your efforts on the general GRE, the one that matters.

3. You have some nice clinical experiences, more than enough. You can quit when it's feasible to do so, and focus more time on research and GRE prep.

4. Can you get a paying job as a research coordinator or similar? If you are working in a lab where you can get some authorship/co-presenter opportunities, that's probably a better fit than a master's given your good grades.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a pretty long and demanding post, but any answers to even one or two of my questions are greatly appreciated. This community has been so helpful and kind and I am very grateful for your feedback and support! :)

I posted here last year, and now I have more updated information and many questions. Looking for advice and your thoughts.

I am graduating in about two weeks. First 2 years of college were very rough, had a 2.1gpa. Last 2 years I got straight A's and should be graduating with a 3.015 or something like that.

Taking a year off (applying this Fall for next year)

So:
Overall GPA 3.0
Psychology Major GPA 4.0
Last 60 credits GPA 4.0
Survey research Minor GPA 4.0

GRE: Should take end of Summer. Let's assume I do well (160 ish)

Research Experience:
-RA for 2 years in same lab, Lab manager for 1 year
-IRBs, Lit Reviews, Designed 3 studies (currently collecting data, one is a test-retest, 2nd is a look on the effects of expectations on task performance and subjective experience, and 3rd will begin next fall once test-retest data is analysed), Coordinating/training/hiring RAs, Ppt recruitment,
-6th author on APS poster
-2nd author on oral presentation local conference
-1st author on poster local conference
-NSF REU fellowship
-sole author on REU presentation
-(Once data starts coming in will be 1st author on a couple more posters)
-May be 4th author on a pub (not sure it will be published as its for a study done a few years ago that only has 5 within subject ppts.- but I'm happy to get the experience of writing)
-If all goes well in the Fall, I would be 2nd author on the paper based on that study/data and
-1st author on another poster or two
- 6 month internship working for a company that offers court appointed alternative to incarceration for drug related crimes. (Not really an interest of mine, but a good experience)

As of now, I am trying to get a job as a research assistant during this year off. I will be buying Magoosh, and studying for the GRE. Will also be trying to figure out data analysis as this is my weakness currently in terms of skill.

Questions:

1) How do I make make myself more marketable to research labs looking for a research coordinator during my job hunt?

2) What are my chances if I apply this Fall? Should I even bother? Or just wait another year?

3) Any suggestions on how to improve my application?

4) Would getting a Master's degree of some sort and raising my GPA be better than just taking more time out to do research?

5) Any GRE tips?

6) If I cannot get a paid job in research, what route do you think I should take? Perhaps I could get a job as a case manager or the like, and continue remotely supervising the study that will begin in the fall.

*I will remain in my current lab as the supervisor of this study regardless of the job I get

7) Should I look into getting more clinical experience?

8) Does anyone have any suggestions/resources for learning how to use SPSS/ selecting statistical analyses based on study design/what you are looking for.

This is a pretty long and demanding post, but any answers to even one or two of my questions are greatly appreciated. This community has been so helpful and kind and I am very grateful for your feedback and support! :)

I posted here last year, and now I have more updated information and many questions. Looking for advice and your thoughts.

I am graduating in about two weeks. First 2 years of college were very rough, had a 2.1gpa. Last 2 years I got straight A's and should be graduating with a 3.015 or something like that.

Taking a year off (applying this Fall for next year)

So:
Overall GPA 3.0
Psychology Major GPA 4.0
Last 60 credits GPA 4.0
Survey research Minor GPA 4.0

GRE: Should take end of Summer. Let's assume I do well (160 ish)

Research Experience:
-RA for 2 years in same lab, Lab manager for 1 year
-IRBs, Lit Reviews, Designed 3 studies (currently collecting data, one is a test-retest, 2nd is a look on the effects of expectations on task performance and subjective experience, and 3rd will begin next fall once test-retest data is analysed), Coordinating/training/hiring RAs, Ppt recruitment,
-6th author on APS poster
-2nd author on oral presentation local conference
-1st author on poster local conference
-NSF REU fellowship
-sole author on REU presentation
-(Once data starts coming in will be 1st author on a couple more posters)
-May be 4th author on a pub (not sure it will be published as its for a study done a few years ago that only has 5 within subject ppts.- but I'm happy to get the experience of writing)
-If all goes well in the Fall, I would be 2nd author on the paper based on that study/data and
-1st author on another poster or two
- 6 month internship working for a company that offers court appointed alternative to incarceration for drug related crimes. (Not really an interest of mine, but a good experience)

As of now, I am trying to get a job as a research assistant during this year off. I will be buying Magoosh, and studying for the GRE. Will also be trying to figure out data analysis as this is my weakness currently in terms of skill.

Questions:

1) How do I make make myself more marketable to research labs looking for a research coordinator during my job hunt?

2) What are my chances if I apply this Fall? Should I even bother? Or just wait another year?

4) Would getting a Master's degree of some sort and raising my GPA be better than just taking more time out to do research?

5) Any GRE tips?

6) If I cannot get a paid job in research, what route do you think I should take? Perhaps I could get a job as a case manager or the like, and continue remotely supervising the study that will begin in the fall.

*I will remain in my current lab as the supervisor of this study regardless of the job I get

8) Does anyone have any suggestions/resources for learning how to use SPSS/ selecting statistical analyses based on study design/what you are looking for.
This probably isn't what you want to hear, but your GPA is too low to be very competitive for most funded programs. Your upward trajectory is great, but even if you killed it on the GRE (though this isn't something you should assume or take for granted), it still will be an uphill battle. Some programs have official or unofficial GPA cutoffs that you won't make. At others that don't have hard cutoffs, you just won't be competitive compared to other applicants with higher GPAs.

A terminal master's program with a research thesis requirement (e.g., experimental or clinical psychology) would really help you demonstrate your academic aptitude and give you more opportunities for research.

Reactions: 1 users

Word of mouth goes a long way. If your PI knows people, use those connections. Use your school's career center. Network aggressively.

You have a lot of good experience, it's mainly the GPA that hurts you. If you really crush the GRE and get strong glowing recommendation letters then I think it's maybe a bit of long shot but still worth applying. Just know that the GPA will be an issue regardless. Consider including some master's program applications with your doctoral applications.

As a not-ideal-on-paper candidate your letters and statement will need to make it very clear that you are awesome, capable, thoughtful, and a good fit. It will all come down to fit, fit, fit.

Possibly. But only spend your $$ on a master's program that has a good track record of sending students on to PhD programs.

5) Any GRE tips?

Create, and stick to, a study schedule. It's not rocket science but you need to study. Take practice tests. Buy or borrow study guides from the major test prep companies - each will have a different take on the content.

Something quant-ish would be a good alternative.

No.

Try Coursera or Udemy. There are some good books on SPSS also. Get mentoring from someone in your lab who knows more about this than you do.

Thank you so much! This is really helpful!!

You're doing OK. Definitely apply this fall. Look for faculty who are a strong research fit. Try not to limit yourself too much geographically. Other thoughts:

1. You've had a variety of research experiences, but do you have a record of progressively more responsible/autonomous work as an RA? Can you tell a story about your research experiences that relates to your reasons for seeking a PhD? Can you contribute to a manuscript in preparation at the level of an author? If you haven't talked to your PI/lab supervisor recently about this, now's the time. I wouldn't worry too much at this point about "independent" research experience, but if you have an opportunity to take on a larger role in the project, now's the time to act on it.

2. Don't bother retaking the psych GRE. Very few programs care about it. Focus your efforts on the general GRE, the one that matters.

3. You have some nice clinical experiences, more than enough. You can quit when it's feasible to do so, and focus more time on research and GRE prep.

4. Can you get a paying job as a research coordinator or similar? If you are working in a lab where you can get some authorship/co-presenter opportunities, that's probably a better fit than a master's given your good grades.

only spend your $$ on a master's program that has a good track record of sending students on to PhD programs.

I'd like to maybe applying for some master's programs this year, too. A good track record of sending students to PhD programs makes strong sense. I'd be looking for master's programs that send students to PhD counseling psychology programs. Is there a good number of students sent to PhD programs that you suggest going by?

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but your GPA is too low to be very competitive for most funded programs. Your upward trajectory is great, but even if you killed it on the GRE (though this isn't something you should assume or take for granted), it still will be an uphill battle. Some programs have official or unofficial GPA cutoffs that you won't make. At others that don't have hard cutoffs, you just won't be competitive compared to other applicants with higher GPAs.

A terminal master's program with a research thesis requirement (e.g., experimental or clinical psychology) would really help you demonstrate your academic aptitude and give you more opportunities for research.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you know any good master's programs that are more research based and not too expensive? Would my gpa prevent me from getting into a master's program as well?

Word of mouth goes a long way. If your PI knows people, use those connections. Use your school's career center. Network aggressively.

You have a lot of good experience, it's mainly the GPA that hurts you. If you really crush the GRE and get strong glowing recommendation letters then I think it's maybe a bit of long shot but still worth applying. Just know that the GPA will be an issue regardless. Consider including some master's program applications with your doctoral applications.

As a not-ideal-on-paper candidate your letters and statement will need to make it very clear that you are awesome, capable, thoughtful, and a good fit. It will all come down to fit, fit, fit.

Possibly. But only spend your $$ on a master's program that has a good track record of sending students on to PhD programs.

Create, and stick to, a study schedule. It's not rocket science but you need to study. Take practice tests. Buy or borrow study guides from the major test prep companies - each will have a different take on the content.

No.

Try Coursera or Udemy. There are some good books on SPSS also. Get mentoring from someone in your lab who knows more about this than you do.

No.

Wow thanks so much for your input. Are there any resources for learning which programs have the best rate of movement into phd programs?

I will definitely be applying to Master's programs as well, however, hearing some of these responses is making me concerned that I wouldn't even be able to get admitted into a master's program now.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you know any good master's programs that are more research based and not too expensive? Would my gpa prevent me from getting into a master's program as well?
Sorry, I didn't do a master's before my current doctoral program, so I won't be much help here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am doing an experimental masters with a great record for doctoral admissions. I suggest talking to the program director and asking about alumni and talking to some if you can. My program also has the information posted in various places when their students get into doctoral programs. My program is a small cohort, something I also think is important. They never accept more than 12.

I am doing an experimental masters with a great record for doctoral admissions. I suggest talking to the program director and asking about alumni and talking to some if you can. My program also has the information posted in various places when their students get into doctoral programs. My program is a small cohort, something I also think is important. They never accept more than 12.
thanks! I'll def. look into it.

Wow thanks so much for your input. Are there any resources for learning which programs have the best rate of movement into phd programs?

I will definitely be applying to Master's programs as well, however, hearing some of these responses is making me concerned that I wouldn't even be able to get admitted into a master's program now.
Look at the faculty supervising master's students, and see where their alumni have gone. Ask the specific faculty with whom you'd like to work, as there may be variability within the department for student outcomes.

Master's programs can be competitive, but, numbers-wise, it's less so than doctoral programs. From what I remember, the master's program I did had ~60 applications for 15 training spots. APA's Graduate Study in Psychology, published annually, has admissions statistics for some programs where the program director has disclosed them, which may be helpful for you in determining which master's programs for which you are competitive.

State schools may be your best bet for affordability. See which programs offer assistantships to help defray the cost.

I’ve been studying for the GRE and just can’t seem to improve. Right now, I have a 296, 148/148 on the GRE. I’m applying for PsyD programs in the Fall. What are my chances of getting into these programs with this score? I have a 4.0 GPA and all A+ in Paychology classes. I also have 3 years of research and an honors thesis in the works for when I graduate. My recs will be from my mentor, the Chair of the psych department and my two psychology honors teachers. So, I feel like most of my other things are great, but I’m really stressing about this GRE score. What do you guys think?

Hi everyone,

I've very recently decided that clinical psychology is my career path of choice, but a lot of what I'm reading has made the admissions process for a PhD program seem extremely daunting. I have not settled on aiming at any specific programs, but I would like to get some feedback on my current strength as a candidate and how I might be able to improve over the next couple of years. To be clear, I did my undergraduate study in the UK, but I am from the US and want to live and work in the US long-term.

- Psychology BSc from one of the top ranked universities in the UK. I received an upper 2nd class honours degree - this translates to between a 3.33 and 3.67 GPA according to a conversion table. (A 2:1 is the minimum requirement for most UK DClinPsy courses)
- I had straight As my senior year, but junior year was very up and down (think A, C-, B+, C, etc.). First two years don't factor into your degree in the UK, but they were average, probably Bs.
- 1st class large (60-credit) dissertation/(A/A+) which was a research project in the area of face perception
- Dean's List 4th year
- Secretary for psychology society
- Committee member for our department's psychology research magazine
- Vice President of our mental health charity society for 2 years
- Trained by a national charity to facilitate weekly eating disorder support groups for students
- Listening volunteer and elected leadership position for our student support/suicide hotline
- Paid summer internship in University counselling department - developed an on-campus peer support program, which I ran for a year (handling referrals, recruiting, training & supervising volunteers, and volunteering myself)
- Summer internship in a behavioral neuroscience lab conducting research on a schizophrenia medication with animal subjects
- Some research assistant work (coding, that kind of thing)
- Elected by the student body to serve as a Sabbatical Officer for a year - essentially the student vice president for welfare, which involved a lot of management, sitting on the board of a charity, and serving on all university committees relevant to wellbeing, the student experience, equality (and much more that can't quite be summed up in a bullet point!)
- I have not taken the GRE, so I do not yet know what my scores will be like, but I tend to do okay on standardized tests and my ACT/SAT scores were 95th percentile
- I have been involved in other activities and employment, but kept this list psychology-relevant

I've just been accepted into a 1 year masters program in applied psychology at a prestigious university in Ireland, and I hope to go and do well in order to add another year of solid grades onto my record. I also intend to hold an assistant psychologist job alongside the degree if I can find an opportunity.

How am I shaping up as a candidate for a PhD program? What can I do to improve my chances? Please let me know if it would be helpful for me to elaborate on any part of the above - especially on the sabbatical year - it was difficult to summarize without it becoming too long or including too much clearly identifying information.

Last edited:
I’ve been studying for the GRE and just can’t seem to improve. Right now, I have a 296, 148/148 on the GRE. I’m applying for PsyD programs in the Fall. What are my chances of getting into these programs with this score? I have a 4.0 GPA and all A+ in Paychology classes. I also have 3 years of research and an honors thesis in the works for when I graduate. My recs will be from my mentor, the Chair of the psych department and my two psychology honors teachers. So, I feel like most of my other things are great, but I’m really stressing about this GRE score. What do you guys think?
Why not apply to PhD programs as well?

I was debating between both of them but with my GRE I find it unlikely I’d get into a clinical PhD program. What do you think about my PsyD chances?
I don't think you should settle for expensive programs with questionable-at-best training quality and outcomes, because of a single hurdle like the GRE.

I would say defer applications until you can get your GRE scores up, by whatever means. Change up your study methods, e.g., pay for tutoring or class if need be. The cost will be far, far less than that of an unfunded PsyD program.

From the sounds of it, you're still in undergrad, so it's not like there's some clock ticking or the typical worries about being too old for grad school, which isn't even a thing. Take your time and do it right instead of rushing into something that might lead down a bad path.

I don't think you should settle for expensive programs with questionable-at-best training quality and outcomes, because of a single hurdle like the GRE.

I would say defer applications until you can get your GRE scores up, by whatever means. Change up your study methods, e.g., pay for tutoring or class if need be. The cost will be far, far less than that of an unfunded PsyD program.

From the sounds of it, you're still in undergrad, so it's not like there's some clock ticking or the typical worries about being too old for grad school, which isn't even a thing. Take your time and do it right instead of rushing into something that might lead down a bad path.

I like what psych.meout got at: Don't sell yourself short carty67! Whether you decide upon a PsyD program or PhD program ultimately, do it for reasons of interest not fears that you couldn't do what you needed to do to get into another kind of program.

Currently entering my senior year and looking to apply to clinical Ph.D. programs for 2019 admission in the Chicago. (UIC, IIT, and Loyola are my top choices)
  • Had a horrible 1st few semesters when I started college at 18, took a break, began a full-time career for 15 years. When I returned to community college to complete my associates, I had a 3.93 GPA with graduation with honors. At my current university I have a 4.0 GPA, so my cumulative is 3.29
  • Member of the honors college and on the Deans list at my current university.
  • Will be working towards completion of an independent senior research project through the end of my final semester.
  • I'm an undergraduate research assistant for two substudies. One cognitive neuroscience basis, one is family dynamics.
  • All psychology and statistics courses have been 4.0
  • So far I've completed work in statistics (will be registering for advanced statistics in Spring next year), Community Psychology, Cognitive Neuroscience, Abnormal Psychology, Research Methods, Developmental Psychology (2 courses: Lifespan, and Childhood), obviously intro to psychology, as well as sociology and ethics courses.
  • I will be completing Psychology testing, Psychology of Interviewing, and Clinical Psychology lab next semester. (In addition to the above-mentioned research projects and 2 sociology courses).
  • Also a member of Phi Theta Kappa, and Tau Sigma
The only thing I'm pending would be GRE, which I intend to take late summer/early fall. A bit nervous, since the last time I took the ACT was in 1999, so I'll be spending this summer with my nose in the prep books.
It is very likely that I will have recommendations from previous Stats instructor, my Cognitive Neuroscience professor (I also completed honors supplement), and my honors fellow.
My concern is the cumulative GPA, while my initial coursework prior to my academic break was honestly abysmal, my GPA since my return to school has been excellent.

Currently entering my senior year and looking to apply to clinical Ph.D. programs for 2019 admission in the Chicago. (UIC, IIT, and Loyola are my top choices)
  • Had a horrible 1st few semesters when I started college at 18, took a break, began a full-time career for 15 years. When I returned to community college to complete my associates, I had a 3.93 GPA with graduation with honors. At my current university I have a 4.0 GPA, so my cumulative is 3.29
  • Member of the honors college and on the Deans list at my current university.
  • Will be working towards completion of an independent senior research project through the end of my final semester.
  • I'm an undergraduate research assistant for two substudies. One cognitive neuroscience basis, one is family dynamics.
  • All psychology and statistics courses have been 4.0
  • So far I've completed work in statistics (will be registering for advanced statistics in Spring next year), Community Psychology, Cognitive Neuroscience, Abnormal Psychology, Research Methods, Developmental Psychology (2 courses: Lifespan, and Childhood), obviously intro to psychology, as well as sociology and ethics courses.
  • I will be completing Psychology testing, Psychology of Interviewing, and Clinical Psychology lab next semester. (In addition to the above-mentioned research projects and 2 sociology courses).
  • Also a member of Phi Theta Kappa, and Tau Sigma
The only thing I'm pending would be GRE, which I intend to take late summer/early fall. A bit nervous, since the last time I took the ACT was in 1999, so I'll be spending this summer with my nose in the prep books.
It is very likely that I will have recommendations from previous Stats instructor, my Cognitive Neuroscience professor (I also completed honors supplement), and my honors fellow.
My concern is the cumulative GPA, while my initial coursework prior to my academic break was honestly abysmal, my GPA since my return to school has been excellent.

Your research experience and letters of rec. seem good.

I'm not sure what clinical psych programs will think of your GPA, but clinical psych programs have admitted applicants who went to master's programs to raise their GPA, so your raising your GPA with community college may be similar.

Some programs require the GRE subject test, and I think Loyola's counseling psych program is one of them, so be sure to check with whether you need to take it to apply for clinical, too.

Do you want to practice at all in your career? Do you have any practice experience?

Hello again,
I've been applying to research assistant positions across the country non stop since February, as well as looking into jobs like psychometrists. And I've had horrible luck tying anything down for next year. Since my last post (posted below) I've present a research poster, moved into a coordinator postion in my lab for fNIRS studies and had my supervisor at my behavioral therapist job say she would be more than happy to write me a letter of reccommendation (she brought it up herself, I didn't even ask).

Would it be a horrible idea to continue my current job knowing I'd get a great letter of rec (along with my other ones) since I can't seem to get a research assistant position anywhere? Would this hurt my chances to apply in the fall?

Hello! I'm hoping to get an understanding of where I fall. Do you think a masters will be necessary for getting me into a funded program?
I just finished undergrad at UCLA (I graduated a quarter early) majoring in Psych and minoring in Gender Studies
GPA: 4.0 (community college) , 3.69 (UCLA)
-I am a Regent Scholar at UCLA (800 incoming students are invited to apply for the scholarship and 100 are chosen)
*GRE: I haven't taken it yet, will be taking it in June after giving myself all of next quarter to study for it

Research Experience:
2 years undergrad: 1 year in a lab, unable to get super involved due to a large amount of RAs, 1 year working hands-on with a project and I was able to conduct my own hypothesis and will be presenting a poster on the findings next quarter
*I'm planning on taking a gap year to be a full-time RA somewhere to obtain more research experience

Extracurriculars:
I just started working as an ABA behavior therapist for students with developmental deficiencies at an elementary school
I've been volunteering at a domestic violence shelter for the past 4 years
I was a coordinator for a program that trained liaisons from sorority and fraternity chapters in sexual assault awareness, intervention, and prevention
Part of a peer counseling network that facilitated weekly group meetings that used iCBT online training to help students with depression
Aside from all this, I've held various jobs throughout college that I think provided me with other tools and qualities that are beneficial though not directly relevant (marketing assistant, pilates studio manager, etc.)

I will be looking at programs/faculty who have an interest in PTSD/Anxiety and personal growth
Some of the schools I'm currently interested in are:
Columbia, Duke, USC, U of Washington, BU

Would it be a horrible idea to continue my current job knowing I'd get a great letter of rec (along with my other ones) since I can't seem to get a research assistant position anywhere? Would this hurt my chances to apply in the fall?

A job is better than no job. It won't hurt you. It's not especially likely to help either.

Research Experience:
2 years undergrad: 1 year in a lab, unable to get super involved due to a large amount of RAs, 1 year working hands-on with a project and I was able to conduct my own hypothesis and will be presenting a poster on the findings next quarter

Great! Try to present at a national forum if possible. You have some good experience. Not everyone who gets into a doctoral program has a journal publication. Most don't.

I will be looking at programs/faculty who have an interest in PTSD/Anxiety and personal growth
Some of the schools I'm currently interested in are:
Columbia, Duke, USC, U of Washington, BU

Since these are all very competitive programs, you should consider other programs that may not be quite as sought after but still offer solid training in areas that interest you.

Entering my senior year and intend to apply this upcoming cycle.
  • Background: low-income, Asian-American, gender/sexual minority
    • School: selective liberal arts college (acceptance < 20%)
  • Intending cognitive psychology PhD (I know this is more a clinical-bent forum)
  • GPA: 3.65 (upward trend)
    • Psychology GPA: 3.70
    • Junior Year GPA: 3.83. I intend to continue the upward trend.
  • GRE: TBD. I test well. Currently in the process of studying.
    • My "cold" score/no studying for an official practice exam was 159V / 160Q. I am aiming for 170 / 170.
  • Research/Internship Experiences:
    • One summer at ACT, Inc. (the testing company), less research and more experiential. Exposed to ideas about equity in learning, psychometrics, and socioemotional learning.
    • One summer research w/ professor at my institution. Will culminate in a manuscript to be submitted for publication. (Good letter of recc.)
    • Neither relate to my research interests in consciousness and the mechanisms of the mind (huge questions, I know)
  • Other:
    • Very informal research assistant (1-2 hrs a week) w/ my major advisor. He does institutional research so I can't be too much more involved for privacy reasons (Good letter of recc.)
    • Three In-class, semester long lab projects w/ human subjects and mock-psychological journal articles
      • Social psych, Cog psych, Longitudinal Time Series Analysis (LTSA)
    • Strong commitment to dance extracurriculars (8+ weekly hours, Good letter of recc. from the director)
  • Schools of interest:
    • Princeton, Mike Graziano/Sabine Kastner
Mostly curious about my general shot at high (top 10/20), middle (top 50/100) schools.
Thanks all~

Hello lovely people,

I just received all of my grade for this semester, it was the third year in my undergrad, and I’m seriously concerned about my GPA. It’s in 2.8 - 2.9 range now and I will be a senior next semester. I have chronic circumstances, including my own health issues and poor finance that lower my GPA. But the question is, would the admission committee like to listen to that? My remained credits are 44 and according to the GPA calculator I have to get straight As for 49 credits. Doesn’t sound so realistic though.

I honestly have pretty good research experiences, a research mentor that will definitely write me a great recommendation letter, plus our research project will be published this September. Everything goes so amazing except for my GPA. I haven’t taken GRE but will take it next spring before I graduate. I saw some cases that people still get into their Ph. D programs (even medical schools) with a low GPA but a strong research experiences and GRE score. However, what I’m looking for here is a realistic feedback or advice based on one’s experience. I want to be a Psy.D or Ph.D in neuroscience.

3.0 is a significant benchmark. In some cases, committees may not be allowed to accept you because departmental policy requires at least a 3.0. I would focus heavily on hitting the 3.0 mark. If you're not able to make it, consider retaking a few courses. Even doing a masters may not be enough to compensate for it unfortunately.

While I would typically discourage a standalone masters program, in your case it might be appropriate. But you have to commit to earning a 3.5ish to offset undergrad. Otherwise it could be a waste of money.

Also, there are no PsyDs in neuroscience. Or even neuropsychology. You'll presumably be applying to competitive clinical psych programs, thus why those numbers need to be a bit higher.

**interested in child/adolescent trauma (and getting the parents/family involved in interventions) & anxiety (though have no clinical/research experience in the latter so I'm not sure if that would affect which professors I'd look into when choosing grad schools to apply to)
Any help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!! I've been stressing so much over what to do

1. If you can get your GRE scores up, I think it's reasonable to apply this year if it is within your means. The process of applying helps you to clarify your goals and the things you need to do in order to be accepted.

2. You've written some things that have not been presented or published. Try to make something out of those papers if you can. Getting an abstract accepted is better than nothing at all. However, focus on national conferences at this point.

3. You've had a variety of experiences. People will not expect all of your undergrad experiences to be related to your own research interests, but when writing your personal statement it helps if you can organize some of these disparate experiences under common themes that relate your interests and training goals.

4. A note on usage: one conducts a study that has a hypothesis.

*(would I even include this on my resume?)*

In academia we usually talk about a CV (curriculum vitae) rather than a resume. You might ask some graduate students for examples of their CVs so that you can emulate them. Another resource is here: Purdue OWL: Writing the Curriculum Vitae

My rule of thumb is that you don't list any works that have not been presented or published, but you can include works that have been submitted (eg, to a conference or journal) and are pending review. You should have a separate section in your CV that lists your research training experiences including all of your previous RA roles and the extracurricular research program you mentioned.

Unfortunately that GPA will most likely be too low for competitive programs. Your best bet would be to apply to masters programs. Even then, a lot of PhD and PsyD programs look more at undergrad GPA then masters GPA. The best you can do is work your butt off and get all As and get a killer GRE score.

So you think I could be considered to be at least somewhat of a competitive applicant? Do you mean that going through the application process would help me figure out how to properly present my experiences/goals in a way that would make me more desirable to the committees?

Being competitive comes down to a lot of factors beyond academic performance, but based on what you've shared, it sounds like you might be able to at least get a serious look at your application, maybe an interview. Even if you don't, actually having written and submitted a complete application will be a jump start toward making yourself competitive for a subsequent application cycle.

I presented a different finding at a national conference, and another at two undergraduate conferences. Should I try to submit the latter one to a national conference then? And how exactly would I go about getting an abstract accepted?

Yes, it's usually acceptable to present the same work at a local/institutional conference and recycle it for a national conference. You might talk to your mentor(s) about where to submit an abstract since they would be the likely co-author.

Hello lovely people,

I just received all of my grade for this semester, it was the third year in my undergrad, and I’m seriously concerned about my GPA. It’s in 2.8 - 2.9 range now and I will be a senior next semester. I have chronic circumstances, including my own health issues and poor finance that lower my GPA. But the question is, would the admission committee like to listen to that? My remained credits are 44 and according to the GPA calculator I have to get straight As for 49 credits. Doesn’t sound so realistic though.

I honestly have pretty good research experiences, a research mentor that will definitely write me a great recommendation letter, plus our research project will be published this September. Everything goes so amazing except for my GPA. I haven’t taken GRE but will take it next spring before I graduate. I saw some cases that people still get into their Ph. D programs (even medical schools) with a low GPA but a strong research experiences and GRE score. However, what I’m looking for here is a realistic feedback or advice based on one’s experience. I want to be a Psy.D or Ph.D in neuroscience.

Mod Note: Merged (along with replies) into the WAMC thread

Hi all,
This is more of a "should I take 1 gap year or 2 gap years" kind of post.
I've received a lot of conflicting information that makes me unsure if I'd be considered a competitive candidate for fall 2018 (Clinical Psych Ph.D.), or if I need to spend summer of 2018- fall of 2019 gaining more research experience, and then apply fall 2019. My professor (who sat on my school's Ph.D. admissions board for years) told me to take AT LEAST 2 gap years, but the idea of being out of school that long scares me. Would I be wasting my time applying this fall? Have been unsuccessful in getting a job (planning on just being a volunteer RA for now), so I'm not sure if that affects the gap year decision ***Sorry about this being long, didn't know what all to (not) include***

I'm a senior who is going to graduate from UCLA in 2 weeks, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Applied Developmental Psychology
GPA
cumGPA: 3.745 // psyGPA: 3.856 (cumulative GPA will *probably* be 3.76 when I graduate) & Cum Laude
GRE
V: 156 Q: 156 and a 4 on writing..... because my scores aren't great, I plan on retaking the GRE (at the end of this summer if I'm applying this fall)
Research/Clinical
~~~
no publications/senior thesis, unfortunately~~~
-
entered/coded/standardized data, did lit reviews for 1.5 years at an ADHD lab
-->conducted own hypothesis at ADHD lab and presented the project at a national conference
-my minor required being in a fall/winter/spring cohort where I interned at an early childcare center while concurrently learning about child development in class; because of the classes/ECE center I:
-->developed and implemented an emergent curriculum based upon the children's developmental needs and current interests
-->collected data, analyzed, and wrote a case study on one child's development (in 3 domains)
-->learned and applied a specific early childhood education approach
-->I interned again at the center this fall (but was unable to come back due to having a lot of doctor appointments in the winter)
-for 1 month I examined data available at an HIV+ lab and wrote a concept paper, but was unable to continue due to evacuation for a hurricane *(would I even include this on my resume?)*
-senior year: selected as 1 of 12 students to be part of a *highly selective* (prof told me to write that in my resume) year-long intensive developmental psychopathology research program, where I:
-->attended biweekly graduate level seminars (according to the description) in which research approaches (ie. interventions) in devel. psychopath. were discussed
-->joined a lab about parent-child interactions in military families: coded P-C interactions from videotape, transcribed parent interviews
-->shadowed at a stress/trauma/resilience clinic (clients were children/adolescents, but parents were active participants of the intervention) where I got to attend case conferences (providers would discuss the clients they were seeing today, what happened last session, and what they were planning on doing during their session that day; everyone gave advice on how to go forward--sometimes I got to chime in my opinion); also observed therapy sessions through a remote camera set up in the rooms
-->from military lab, created hypothesis (along with another RA) and was able to present results at 2 undergrad research conferences at my college
Extracurriculars
-worked at summer camp for 5 years where I taught life skills to blind and visually impaired children/adolescents (does this count as clinical?)
-liason for a program where I biquarterly presented (my) sorority chapter info on sexual assault awareness/intervention/prevention
-campus tour guide for underserved elementary & middle schoolers for 1.5 years
  • will have 3 strong letters of recommendation
**interested in child/adolescent trauma (and getting the parents/family involved in interventions) & anxiety (though have no clinical/research experience in the latter so I'm not sure if that would affect which professors I'd look into when choosing grad schools to apply to)
Any help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!! I've been stressing so much over what to do

I would really like to emphasis that a 2-year gap is not very long at all. If you're just coming out of undergrad now I'm assuming you're 21? 22 at most? There is so much time and if you can RA somewhere, get some publications and presentations under your belt, and REALLY study for realz on the GRE, you could be a much more competitive candidate. Right now, as others have said, your GPA is strong enough that with better GRE scores you'd definitely at least get looked at, if not secure some interviews. HOWEVER, with some time off to do more RA work, perhaps get a second opinion with another faculty mentor, and really figure out what EXACTLY you want to research and why, you'll probably get interviews and offers from better funded schools that are a better match for you. Applying for PhD is a lot about the match you have with your advisor when it comes to research interests. It doesn't mean you're a clone. It means that your experiences match with where they're going or compliment their work. Give yourself time to figure that out because that will make you a lot more mature, self-assured, and prepared. Haste makes waste man, and it's also very common for people to do a 1-2 year GA position. When I was interviewing, a lot of the people I spoke with had done it. The research experience you can gain (SPECIFICALLY publishing and presenting) makes you a sexier candidate. NOT the clinical stuff.

This may be a weird question but... is there such thing as having too much "irrelevant" research experience?

I've been involved in two psych labs (will have total of 2.5 years by the time I apply if I add all my experiences together), and one of them being pretty relevant to my own research interest.

I started to work for a post-doc just for a part - time job this past semester with a different department and the PIs and I got along very well, so they even extended my contract to do "non-grunt" work but to help them with more quality research work.

They are now offering me a chance to publish with them as an undergrad, which I couldn't turn down - but I'm starting to think if this may look "bad" on my cv for having a "irrelevant publication" from my desiring field? :bag:

This may be a weird question but... is there such thing as having too much "irrelevant" research experience?

I've been involved in two psych labs (will have total of 2.5 years by the time I apply if I add all my experiences together), and one of them being pretty relevant to my own research interest.

I started to work for a post-doc just for a part - time job this past semester with a different department and the PIs and I got along very well, so they even extended my contract to do "non-grunt" work but to help them with more quality research work.

They are now offering me a chance to publish with them as an undergrad, which I couldn't turn down - but I'm starting to think if this may look "bad" on my cv for having a "irrelevant publication" from my desiring field? :bag:
Not at all--go for it! It can only help at this stage.

As long as it isn’t a sketch journal (some predatory journals accept almost everything and charge a fee to publish).

Publishing in a different area would likely look good bc you are an undergrad. Going through the publishing process is a useful experience too.

As long as it isn’t a sketch journal (some predatory journals accept almost everything and charge a fee to publish).

Publishing in a different area would likely look good bc you are an undergrad. Going through the publishing process is a useful experience too.
Would you say I should try to "tie it in all together" when I write my SOP for my applications - regarding how all these experiences lead me to my decision to applying to the program?

Or would you say that look too "forced"?

Just limit the number of unnecessary air quotes and you'll be fine. :)

All kidding aside, you can talk about how your general research experience has engendered a new appreciation for your pre-existing interests in psychology, and so on and so forth.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,
If you guys could give me an idea of where you think I stand it would be great.

Rising senior at top 5 university.
Expected cumGPA 3.5, psychGPA 3.65+ when I graduate.
(I probably shouldn't apply during senior year and maybe RA for a year after college bc my GPA isn't there yet, right? Also focus on school so push off taking GRE until that year?)

Interested in social psychology PhD programs, intending to focus on social cognition as applied to moral reasoning and political psychology.

Research Experience:
Senior thesis on pro-social attitudes and values vis-a-vis political decision making (two year project) with one of the top 50 social psychologists today
Worked in a socio-cognitive processing lab on my campus focusing on collective memory for a year (did data analysis, collection, and other research assistant level tasks)
Worked for a consulting firm that does applied behavioral science/decision making research for a summer

Other relevant experience:
Tutor statistics and research methods
Proficient in programming in R, STATA data analysis software
Work at an education thinktank that seeks to create new models for socio-emotional and values based learning in K-12 schools for two summers (this summer and the previous)
-some social/political activism related extracurriculars

Hi everyone. I'm an undergrad that's hoping to apply for Counseling Psych PhD program this cycle, and I was hoping to get some feedback.

My cumulative GPA is 3.6 and my psych GPA is 3.8.
- I will have about 2 years of research experience from 2 of the labs I've been part of
- 2 poster presentations
- An undergraduate research grant

Now, I have yet to take the actual GRE and I'm still in the process of studying, but it doesn't look so promising...
After studying for 3 weeks now, and I scored a 148Q and 143V on the practice test :(

Should I not even bother applying to PhD programs this cycle??? I've been hearing raising my verbal score in about 3 weeks (when I signed up to take the real exam) is impossible.

What are the general cutoff scores for Counseling Psych PhD programs??

Hi everyone. I'm an undergrad that's hoping to apply for Counseling Psych PhD program this cycle, and I was hoping to get some feedback.

My cumulative GPA is 3.6 and my psych GPA is 3.8.
- I will have about 2 years of research experience from 2 of the labs I've been part of
- 2 poster presentations
- An undergraduate research grant

Now, I have yet to take the actual GRE and I'm still in the process of studying, but it doesn't look so promising...
After studying for 3 weeks now, and I scored a 148Q and 143V on the practice test :(

Should I not even bother applying to PhD programs this cycle??? I've been hearing raising my verbal score in about 3 weeks (when I signed up to take the real exam) is impossible.

What are the general cutoff scores for Counseling Psych PhD programs??

Average scores for counseling programs can be (but is not always) lower than clinical programs but I've also seen the opposite. Generally speaking, most programs have average accepted student scores of around 155 per section, if not higher. You have only been studying for 3 weeks and plan to take the test in another 3 weeks. 6 weeks is not nearly enough time to prepare for a standardized test. You should be giving yourself at least several months. Your GPA and research experience look solid and applications aren't even due until early to mid December so why take the GRE now? Why not study the summer and take it in September? Or even October? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense why you're doing it so soon.... I would also say that HOW you are studying can make a huge difference. Taking a practice test after 3 weeks of studying is basically like taking an initial diagnostic. If you've been been studying for 2 months and take another in August and it's still not better, THEN I would start to worry.

Average scores for counseling programs can be (but is not always) lower than clinical programs but I've also seen the opposite. Generally speaking, most programs have average accepted student scores of around 155 per section, if not higher. You have only been studying for 3 weeks and plan to take the test in another 3 weeks. 6 weeks is not nearly enough time to prepare for a standardized test. You should be giving yourself at least several months. Your GPA and research experience look solid and applications aren't even due until early to mid December so why take the GRE now? Why not study the summer and take it in September? Or even October? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense why you're doing it so soon.... I would also say that HOW you are studying can make a huge difference. Taking a practice test after 3 weeks of studying is basically like taking an initial diagnostic. If you've been been studying for 2 months and take another in August and it's still not better, THEN I would start to worry.

When I FIRST started studying, I told my self I won't take a practice test until I finish going over all the content lesson videos (I'm using Magoosh) - but I kept seeing on forums that I should take a practice test ASAP so I know where I stand.

I think I just felt the "need" to take it early as possible, since so many people around me (aka PhD students in my labs) have been telling me that they either barely studied, or they just took the test and they somehow made it through --- so I thought I'd just have to tell my self that I'm not "good enough" to apply for PhD programs if I give my self full month and a half to study for it and don't do well :(

Do you have any time on how to improve my verbal score in particular? I think I can manage to pull my quant score up with more practice, but I'm not sure what else I need to do different other than keep on studying the vocabs and practice with more questions :oops:

When I FIRST started studying, I told my self I won't take a practice test until I finish going over all the content lesson videos (I'm using Magoosh) - but I kept seeing on forums that I should take a practice test ASAP so I know where I stand.

I think I just felt the "need" to take it early as possible, since so many people around me (aka PhD students in my labs) have been telling me that they either barely studied, or they just took the test and they somehow made it through --- so I thought I'd just have to tell my self that I'm not "good enough" to apply for PhD programs if I give my self full month and a half to study for it and don't do well :(

Do you have any time on how to improve my verbal score in particular? I think I can manage to pull my quant score up with more practice, but I'm not sure what else I need to do different other than keep on studying the vocabs and practice with more questions :oops:

Everyone is different. Just because you study more than someone else doesn't mean you are less worthy of a PhD program. Objectively, it makes little sense. Standardized tests measure a very small subset of skills that may or may not (the jury is still out) be indicative of success in a doctoral program. Like there is literally no point in your doctoral training when you will have to do more than algebra or prove your reading comprehension skills by reading something for 10 minutes and answering some questions. Being an ace at standardized tests is a useful skill and can be telling of doctoral success, but success on the GRE can also be achieved through methodical work and there's no shame in either route. I personally studied about 2 months but planned my days very intentionally. created a schedule for myself of what I was going to cover every weekday, when I would take my practice test, and when I would analyze my practice test results to diagnose my problems. Rinse. Repeat.

I would recommend taking a practice test every week. You can find them online if you're savvy or just spend hours at a B&N and use them for free. This not only helps you get used to the structure of the test but also will desensitize you to the timing and anxiety provoking nature of the test. I'm not familiar with Magoosh but usually GRE textbooks have their own strategies for how to do a verbal question well. When I studied, I tried out a couple different strategies and settled on an amalgam of them that got me the best results for me. Again, if you can't find the textbooks for free online, you can stalk a B&N and read through them. Generally speaking, it's about diagnosing exactly what you are doing wrong, what types of questions you have the most problems with, what types of passages you have the most issues with, and what specific mistake you just keep making. In this way, I would say that studying for a standardized test is a lot like a research project and is very analytical in nature.