2016-2017 Weill Cornell Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also rejected :/ oh well, Im not surprised. Good luck to everyone still in the game !

Members don't see this ad.

Rejected yesterday, complete since July. Had to chime in to appreciate your pics, @mandu_cheeks and @JustDoingMe. Best of luck to you all!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected today. LizzyM 70.5. Complete 7/7.

I still wear a badge of honor knowing I stuck around that long.

Reactions: 6 users
II! complete June/July. Totally out of the blue

Reactions: 3 users
Do you think Cornell would be receptive to pre-II interest letters?
These are the kind of schools that routinely reject applicants who don't have enough /years/ of research. How much weight could they possibly give to an email that took 5 minutes to write?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewing here in January. Can anyone else speak to their interview experiences? In general, what do y'all really like about this school?

II just now! It's a Christmas miracle :D

Reactions: 1 users
II today! Complete mid-august

If anyone on here interviewed back in early december, I'm about to DESTROY my anonymity but I'm taking a gap year and I'm from NYC, so I was home for winter break. I emailed and jumped in on an interview tour and the facilities are INCREDIBLE. The students are REALLY nice and helpful, and I texted my best friend throughout the whole tour lol.
My notes to him were: the interview group was majority female. 50% Asian, 25% black.
It was pretty dope. The office is so kind (I was late and I wasn't even interviewing). Plus them having dorms is a plus.

If anyone on here interviewed back in early december, I'm about to DESTROY my anonymity but I'm taking a gap year and I'm from NYC, so I was home for winter break. I emailed and jumped in on an interview tour and the facilities are INCREDIBLE. The students are REALLY nice and helpful, and I texted my best friend throughout the whole tour lol.
My notes to him were: the interview group was majority female. 50% Asian, 25% black.
It was pretty dope. The office is so kind (I was late and I wasn't even interviewing). Plus them having dorms is a plus.

hahaha were you able to dress down for the tour?

hahaha were you able to dress down for the tour?

Dude I was SO LATE so I ran 9 blocks. I was in boots, a sweater, leggings and a jacket. Everyone else was in suits. The students who were touring were like "oh are you a student also?" and I was like nah im just a tagalong

Question for those who interviewed: What is the structure of the interview day? If you interviewed in the afternoon, when does everything tend to wrap up?

Thanks!

Question for those who interviewed: What is the structure of the interview day? If you interviewed in the afternoon, when does everything tend to wrap up?

Thanks!

Depends on when your interviews are scheduled. Tour ends at about 3 PM and your interviews can be anytime between 3-6. Most wrap up by 6 I think.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How do we send updates to Cornell? What email address should I use? Thank you for the help!

peeps who chose the afternoon session for interviews- do you recommend that we eat lunch before heading over to Weill? What was the overall schedule like from 12-6?

I stopped at the Starbucks and got a little caffeine and a coffee cake right before things kicked off. Your lunch won't really be very substantial but it'll hold you over from about 1:30m (when I had lunch) until the end of the interview day.

Also, I had an awesome interview day (Weill is pretty spectacular, in ways I didn't even expect) but I didn't get out until 5:45pm because of a scheduling issue. So it was a bit of a long day.

Hi everybody. When I got my interview invite at Weill a couple of months ago, I was ecstatic. Amazing reputation, premier clinical and research facilities, and in a beautiful and intellectual area of New York City. I was a little thrown off on interview day however. I felt like the students who attended lunch weren't nearly as enthusiastic and excited about the school as students at other med schools I interviewed at. OOne student at lunch said, "since we have weekly quizzes on mondays, I feel guilty if i have fun during the weekends2. Truthfully, I saw very little camaraderie between the students. When Dean Bardes spoke to us about the school, he seemed ready to run of and seemed very unenthusiastic about the school. He continually asked us if we had any questions as if hoping we would guide the conversation about the alluring aspects of WCMC. When people made thoughtful comments, he would either say he didnt know, not answer the question properly, or say something along the lines of "yeah, we have that here, anything else?" I was shocked to be honest about my experience at cornell. I was hoping to be blown away, but unfortunately fet very turned off.

Could this have just been a bad day? did anyone elsse have similar experiences? Im basing this as comparison with other schools (Columbia, NYU, penn).

Hoping to hear other peoples experience on interview day, Thanks!

Hi everybody. When I got my interview invite at Weill a couple of months ago, I was ecstatic. Amazing reputation, premier clinical and research facilities, and in a beautiful and intellectual area of New York City. I was a little thrown off on interview day however. I felt like the students who attended lunch weren't nearly as enthusiastic and excited about the school as students at other med schools I interviewed at. OOne student at lunch said, "since we have weekly quizzes on mondays, I feel guilty if i have fun during the weekends2. Truthfully, I saw very little camaraderie between the students. When Dean Bardes spoke to us about the school, he seemed ready to run of and seemed very unenthusiastic about the school. He continually asked us if we had any questions as if hoping we would guide the conversation about the alluring aspects of WCMC. When people made thoughtful comments, he would either say he didnt know, not answer the question properly, or say something along the lines of "yeah, we have that here, anything else?" I was shocked to be honest about my experience at cornell. I was hoping to be blown away, but unfortunately fet very turned off.

Could this have just been a bad day? did anyone elsse have similar experiences? Im basing this as comparison with other schools (Columbia, NYU, penn).

You hit the nail on the head my friend. I honestly got almost exactly the same feeling. Maybe just two bad days? It was very apparent to me though because I had the NYU interview and Cornell interview in the same week 1 day apart, and everyone at NYU seemed vastly more excited about their school.

You hit the nail on the head my friend. I honestly got almost exactly the same feeling. Maybe just two bad days? It was very apparent to me though because I had the NYU interview and Cornell interview in the same week 1 day apart, and everyone at NYU seemed vastly more excited about their school.

+1

I wouldn't say so. The students I met were enthusiastic and thoughtful. Or I should say, they were as enthusiastic and thoughtful as students at any of the places I've interviewed at. Dr. Bardes was evidently busy, but I actually thought his minimalist rundown of Cornell's strengths followed by question and answer was more valuable than the anemic PowerPoint presentations I got at some other places. Straight to the point.

Ultimately there are too many variables to interview day. The small sample size of the student body you interact with, and what they've been doing in the past few days at school and how it's affecting their dispositions. Or the interviewee group itself, whether they ask pointed questions of your student hosts and admissions staff. You're seeing a chip off the tip of an iceberg on interview day anyway, the research you do into the school will offer you much more valuable information than a formulaic, 5-hour meet and greet.

First II of the cycle after a lot of rejections! LM~ 74, complete in October. Dates available starting next week until February. Hope lives!

Reactions: 10 users
First II of the cycle after a lot of rejections! LM~ 74, complete in October. Dates available starting next week until February. Hope lives!
Congratulations! How far into February are they scheduling?

Are applicants interviewing on these early February dates just interviewing for spots on the waitlist?

Are applicants interviewing on these early February dates just interviewing for spots on the waitlist?
Since Cornell isn't rolling, interview date should not matter

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

Interview Invite today, wasn't expecting that. They have 4 more dates left.

hoping for some love like..
imgres.jpg

II this morning! Such a nice surprise.
Canadian, LM 74

Couldn't find info on tuition prices for Canadians, can someone help me out by providing a link?

II as well, crazy surprise!

II this morning! Such a nice surprise.
Canadian, LM 74

Couldn't find info on tuition prices for Canadians, can someone help me out by providing a link?

Hey, also a Canadian waiting on an II here, haven't heard back since August. Congratulations.

When were you complete? and did you send any application updates, etc?

Thanks in advance.

And to answer your question, I am pretty sure it is the exact same tuition as American citizens except for the fact that the Canadian dollar isn't doing too hot right now, lol. Also, I don't think Canadian citizens can apply for financial aid/receive most scholarships that are available for American citizens. Therefore, it will inevitably be more expensive for us at most, if not all, US schools :( Good luck!

Hey, also a Canadian waiting on an II here, haven't heard back since August. Congratulations.

When were you complete? and did you send any application updates, etc?

Thanks in advance.

And to answer your question, I am pretty sure it is the exact same tuition as American citizens except for the fact that the Canadian dollar isn't doing too hot right now, lol. Also, I don't think Canadian citizens can apply for financial aid/receive most scholarships that are available for American citizens. Therefore, it will inevitably be more expensive for us at most, if not all, US schools :( Good luck!

Hey thanks for the info- it really is unfortunate. Even if the Canadian dollar was at par, this would feel better.

and I was complete Aug 15th, sent no updates or ITA email. It was really a shock to me. But you could still hear soon, there are 4 dates available but those will be the final ones. They are not adding anymore interview slots unfortunately.
Good luck!!

Last edited:
Also just got an II here! Complete early July